• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    havaninotlari
    Newest Member
    havaninotlari

2019 Mountains and Foothills Spring/Summer thread

On 3/8/2019 at 9:23 AM, Tyler Penland said:

Shoulda started this thread earlier. It's snowed more in the week since it was started than in the month prior.

I was hoping it would start the opposite, more days like today lol.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Buckethead said:

I'm smelling petrichor this morning for the first time in quite a while.  It's been a while since the ground was dry enough for that. 

Congratulations, you forced me into a Google search this morning, and I just added a new word to my vocabulary.  =)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Petrichor

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Buckethead said:

I'm smelling petrichor this morning for the first time in quite a while.  It's been a while since the ground was dry enough for that. 

Yeah this weekend was absolutely beautiful.  Was nice to have a dry weekend for once.

Another frosty morning.  These past few days have been pure gold. Nice cold mornings and warm afternoons.  Looks like we get another cool down in a few days. Maybe, maybe a high elevation flake. I still cannot believe the persistent plus NAO that we have been in...

• Like 2

GFS, ICON, & Euro all seeing a strong upper level low moving through the Southeast and bringing the chance for accumulating snow to WNC. I think that this threat has legs. Think back to April 10th, 2003. These upper level lows can do wild things. I am ready for spring, but one last snow wouldn’t hurt my feelings whatsoever.

• Like 5

12z Euro just dropped a foot for most in WNC. Not sure how legit it is, haven’t had a chance to analyze the thermals yet.. but this certainly has my attention.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I was really looking forward to spring, then one of my buddies told me I had to look at april 2nd. So looks like were back for one more round.

• Like 1

12z EPS average snowfall totals increase for WNC.  KAVL Up from around 1" to just under 4".  Boone avg also up to just under 4" and Franklin 12z EPS shows around 3" on average.  15 members(30%) at KAVL show 6"+.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Hvward said:

12z EPS average snowfall totals increase for WNC.  KAVL Up from around 1" to just under 4".  Boone avg also up to just under 4" and Franklin 12z EPS shows around 3" on average.  15 members(30%) at KAVL show 6"+.

So if this happens for KAVL, then our 2 largest snows on the year will have fallen in Spring (after the vernal equinox) and Fall (before winter solstice).

That shows just how fickle our weather is. 

• Like 5

So, have't looked at the models much but it looks like the 12z GFS and FV3 are way off the coast. is this a new thing? cause thank goodness if it is, I want zilch more snow.

3 hours ago, Tyler Penland said:
On 3/29/2019 at 3:30 PM, Tyler Penland said:
I'm good with it showing this for now. If we don't see a NW trend in April I'll be extremely surprised.

Well this is aging well.

We got the NAM and were guna ride it till the wheels fall off the lugs are already loose were guna crash and burn for sure who cares. Lol 

12z 3km NAM looks gorgeous fellas.
Would prefer the LP a little closer to the coast but still throws moisture back our way. Maybe the NW trend will win again.

Yeah precip shield just needs to blossom a bit more, but 500mb low dips under the Apps and goes slightly negative tilt. Any more and it would pull the whole precip shield into WNC. Lots of interesting dynamics with this one, I think it’s going to be a nowcast(cliché).
  • Like 6