• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Dano62
    Newest Member
    Dano62
Central PA Feb/March 2019 Disco: More Snow In Our Future?

4 minutes ago, Itstrainingtime said:

People here at work are amazed at how I dress...I don't own a sweater, I have one long-sleeve shirt that I've worn once this winter season. (and that was to appease my wife) Back during the brutal cold snap at the end of January I wore a polo and a light jacket to work. Never a hat, never gloves...no need. 

I am the polar opposite of @Voyager I embrace deep winter! (Could be in part because my parents lived in Alaska...)

if i wear gloves, people know its cold. I work outside sometimes and i'm responsible for snow removal at or building, so i do wear Carharts when i'm out in it. On Monday morning after i cleared snow i went in to get my coffee before i left for work and my wife was like oh man you're wearing gloves :o but it wasn't from cold, my hands are cut up from metal and the shovel handle was ripping them open again. 

8 hours ago, Blizzard of 93 said:

Yes, we shouldn’t expect much on Friday. It will still be nice to see light snow in the air, even if it doesn’t add up too much. 

The 0z GFS is bringing a little more precip, on Friday, so maybe some of us can squeeze out a dusting to an inch or so on some surfaces. This week is frigid, & ground temps will be in good shape with the current snow cover. 

I don’t think this will be the last time that we see snow this month.

Here is the 0z GFS for Friday:

What I just glanced at shows temps staying at or below freezing during the snowfall now...still an issue of most of it being during the day but could even see some slickness come into play Friday evening.   Without daytime issues I would say the progs are mostly suggesting a 1-2" snowfall (LSV). 

Sure is a beauty out there this morning.  Enjoying our 1 week deep winter.

Good stats Pawatch.  Yeah we found a way to get it done, but like i said, it sure wasnt the easy route.  My letdown is that i like to see snow on the ground for extended periods, not here today...gone tomorrow.  Most events were like that here in the LSV, or we tainted with many, so its just not clean snow.  I'm not mad, just bummed.

Definitely snowed enough times to keep my spirits up this year.  Would be great to see 1 more "clean" snow event.  the one that is showing up 3/22 is a doozy.  That could wrap it up nicely if it could trend right for us.  Thats the period to watch.  3/18-22.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, pasnownut said:

Sure is a beauty out there this morning.  Enjoying our 1 week deep winter.

Good stats Pawatch.  Yeah we found a way to get it done, but like i said, it sure wasnt the easy route.  My letdown is that i like to see snow on the ground for extended periods, not here today...gone tomorrow.  Most events were like that here in the LSV, or we tainted with many, so its just not clean snow.  I'm not mad, just bummed.

Definitely snowed enough times to keep my spirits up this year.  Would be great to see 1 more "clean" snow event.  the one that is showing up 3/22 is a doozy.  That could wrap it up nicely if it could trend right for us.  Thats the period to watch.  3/18-22.

Yes. There are plenty enough good reasons to be mindful of that window...whether or not we get a flush hit and what color the flush is TBD. 

1 hour ago, Itstrainingtime said:

I am the polar opposite of @Voyager I embrace deep winter! (Could be in part because my parents lived in Alaska...)

I never was a fan of cold weather, but at one time, before I drove commercially, I actually did like snow. My intolerance for winter snow and cold came from the five years I lived in Phoenix. I never recovered from the year round warmth, ease and worry-free driving, and in MY opinion, comfort.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Itstrainingtime said:

Yes. There are plenty enough good reasons to be mindful of that window...whether or not we get a flush hit and what color the flush is TBD. 

after next weeks cutterfest, it appears that we morph into a trough in the east and it may be pronounced enough that could pull off something big.  As we enter spring, the normal shortening of the wavelengths gives the chance for something big to pop.  I'd take my chances w/ what the 0z was showing verbatim.  One big @ss stemwinder to wrap it up.  Cold would likely follow for a couple days, then....its a wrap.

gfs_mslp_pcpn_frzn_us_52.png

The milky-white sky is producing a steady stream of flurries over me right now.  I could almost even call it steady light snow.  With a temp of 20.8 it really does look and feel like the depths of mid-winter outside.

My low this morning was 14.9.  Still have 2 more mornings to go with lows down at least into the teens.  Maybe below 10 tonight if winds can stay calm.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, CarlislePaWx said:

The milky-white sky is producing a steady stream of flurries over me right now.  I could almost even call it steady light snow.  With a temp of 20.8 it really does look and feel like the depths of mid-winter outside.

My low this morning was 14.9.  Still have 2 more mornings to go with lows down at least into the teens.  Maybe below 10 tonight if winds can stay calm.

CXY is also reporting light snow.  Point and click says Mostly Sunny though so pay no attention to that snow behind the curtain.

37 minutes ago, Bubbler86 said:

Outside of the potential Friday snow, the models have been trending toward a slightly colder solution for much of PA as it pertains to the first part of the Cutter low Saturday night.  Something to keep an eye on. 

Will do...honestly, I had completely written off this weekend as I was assuming it was a rain and 50s kind of deal...

11 minutes ago, Itstrainingtime said:

Will do...honestly, I had completely written off this weekend as I was assuming it was a rain and 50s kind of deal...

It is still mostly rain but we have had several of these systems start as frozen this year and some afternoon models show frozen Saturday night now.  I doubt it is something we all stay up and watch for.  And year it still gets into the 50's on Sunday.   LOL.  

43 minutes ago, Wmsptwx said:

Going so far west, the WAA may be pretty weak honestly.

If it’s gonna work....that’s how it’s gonna do it. I know showme thought it might go under, but I just don’t see that. Actually I’d prefer your suggestion. We just proved that without a block it still can happen.  

I know it's been discussed already but both NAMs give us between 1 and 2" of snow on Friday.  That's yet another day this week to see snow falling.  I've had last Thursday, Friday, Saturday, today, and then Friday.  Nice.  Temp briefly touched 26 and is back down to 24 with more clouds than sun.  Had a couple pretty heavy snow showers move through here earlier too.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Bubbler86 said:

Wow, so you actually had accumulating snow on a day that the forecast said Mostly Sunny. 

Definitely a dusting on top of the snow.  What hit the roads pretty much evaporated on contact.