Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Central PA - Jan/Feb 2019 Obs and Discussion

MAG5035

3 minutes ago, sauss06 said:

How will the speed affect the potential sleet and frzn at the end? 

I would imagine it will be more rain than sleet for the second wave later - the dryslot may allow surface temps to slightly warm but there is no way lower levels near surface with fresh snowfall get above freezing until tonight at earliest when the rain arrives with the warmer air.  It’s going to be a tough call for Penndot because they often say they like to leave a little bit of snow before a changeover because its easier to remove with the ice on top.  Hours of nothing will leave bare but probably salted roads for when the next wave hits.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, djr5001 said:

I would imagine it will be more rain than sleet for the second wave later - the dryslot may allow surface temps to slightly warm but there is no way lower levels near surface with fresh snowfall get above freezing until tonight at earliest when the rain arrives with the warmer air.  It’s going to be a tough call for Penndot because they often say they like to leave a little bit of snow before a changeover because its easier to remove with the ice on top.  Hours of nothing will leave bare but probably salted roads for when the next wave hits.

thats why i was asking. I hate nothing more then to shovel fresh snow in the fricking rain, that sucks. Well at least we have snow for a couple hours. 

Just now, djr5001 said:

I would imagine it will be more rain than sleet for the second wave later - the dryslot may allow surface temps to slightly warm but there is no way lower levels near surface with fresh snowfall get above freezing until tonight at earliest when the rain arrives with the warmer air.

That has been my feeling as well though where I am I am most prone to rise.  I think east of the mountains is in for some ice late this afternoon.  Unfortunate that we will lose this pack so fast the next few days.  

3 minutes ago, bubbler86 said:

HRRR really brings the icy terror mostly between 6PM and 10PM tonight.  Probalbly over done but 1/2" ice for much of Adams and a good portion of Cumberland based on the coloring.   The numbers shown are not placed where the most ice is progged. 

image.png.ea07ea32c6ae9c3401fd66181144f464.png

if i read it correctly, it doesn't appear to go above freezing until around 10pm for my area anyhow. 

1 minute ago, CarlislePaWx said:

It's even more prolific on the most recent run.  Note MDT went from 0.09 up to 0.32".  Like you said the majority of this falls by 10pm.

Will be interesting how cold it really is and how it affects the public who at 2PM will assume...snow stopped?  Storm over.  Moderate rain and 28 is going to be like a second winter storm in one day.  Moderate rain and 32 will be a non event for roads at least. 

20 minutes ago, sauss06 said:

thats why i was asking. I hate nothing more then to shovel fresh snow in the fricking rain, that sucks. Well at least we have snow for a couple hours. 

That's what I have been dealing with all winter. Trying hit things before the change over.

Good to see some ppl getting some good returns.

7 minutes ago, bubbler86 said:

Will be interesting how cold it really is and how it affects the public who at 2PM will assume...snow stopped?  Storm over.  Moderate rain and 28 is going to be like a second winter storm in one day.  Moderate rain and 32 will be a non event for roads at least. 

yep, thats the million dollar question. It seriously will suck going home. 

edit- our drivers are coming back, said they roads are horrible. They already went home. 

So I hit the sack at 8am with not really any thing going on. woke up at 11am with just over 4 inchs the snow has slow down in the last hour or so. but looks like things have changed vs that bad weather forecast at 6pm last night saying the mix will start at 3-4 and be all rain before 7pm. they had my area going above freezing at 6pm. now im seeing every one say most places wont get out of that range till 10pm

Here at noon I just measured 5.0" on the board, an increase of 1.0" during the past hour.  Most of that inch fell between 11:00 and 11:30 during the super-heavy period.  It's been light to moderate since.  Temp has risen to 27.0 with the drop off in intensity and increasing sun angle of the day.  With only blues on radar now it's going to be tough to add significantly to the totals from here.  But, this is the best event of the winter for me as I was down in Florida back in November and came back home the day after the storm.

• Like 1