Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Winter Storm? Jan 18-19th, 2019

cyclone77

6 minutes ago, mimillman said:

Facing east front my apartment into the death band 

C27FD1A7-A144-4ABA-8EDA-48C747D883A8.jpeg

band has inched back west into extreme southeastern Cook county LOL

you  you see the western Push over  the lake (see Vis sat) about across from MKE now of  the main plume for later

the plume goes SSE from that point but gets sucked back SSW into the meso low

2 hours ago, KeenerWx said:

Worried that my bullish trigger on the LE will struggle to pan out. :lol:

80/94 north still looks good in Lake County, but that band is struggling to make penetration inland. Guess we'll see!

Yeah I thought it would be a bit farther inland.

Been snowing with the sun out here at times, something that is not all that uncommon near the edge of lake effect. 

27 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

The area around the Region Rat is probably getting it good.  Hopefully we hear something.

I just returned home.  Typical lake effect.  I left my house at around 7:45 and it was sunny to my immediate west, and not snowing at my house. I live right by Kosciuszko Park.   I drove to work to assess our lots, to determine if we need to bring in a loader to move snow or if we can do it ourselves with our plow.  Work is in Hammond between Indianapolis Boulevard and Kennedy Avenue. It started snowing when I turned east off the Boulevard.  Moderate snow at work. Went east to Kennedy, maybe a half mile.  Snowing hard.  Drove north on Kennedy back to East Chicago, heavy snow moderating to light snow to no snow.  Drove to Montrose Deli in Chicago via LSD to buy Polish food.  Sunny.  Return trip the cloud wall was evident along the state line.  Light to moderate to heavy snow along Indy Boulevard north to south.  Heavy snow in Whiting.  Very heavy snow as I type.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, TheRegionRat said:

I just returned home.  Typical lake effect.  I left my house at around 7:45 and it was sunny to my immediate west, and not snowing at my house. I live right by Kosciuszko Park.   I drove to work to assess our lots, to determine if we need to bring in a loader to move snow or if we can do it ourselves with our plow.  Work is in Hammond between Indianapolis Boulevard and Kennedy Avenue. It started snowing when I turned east off the Boulevard.  Moderate snow at work. Went east to Kennedy, maybe a half mile.  Snowing hard.  Drove north on Kennedy back to East Chicago, heavy snow moderating to light snow to no snow.  Drove to Montrose Deli in Chicago via LSD to buy Polish food.  Sunny.  Return trip the cloud wall was evident along the state line.  Light to moderate to heavy snow along Indy Boulevard north to south.  Heavy snow in Whiting.  Very heavy snow as I type.

Any guesses as to how much has been put down?

2 minutes ago, TheRegionRat said:

i would have to think at least  6-8 inches around GYY ..the poster in munster said he had 3-4 inches in 90 minutes under weaker bands and that was over 2 hours ago

GYY has had SN+ last 3 hourly obs

that mesolow may be breaking down some...we will see

FOR THE 18Z TAFS...  

THE CONCERNS FOR THE CHICAGO AREA AIRPORTS ARE:  

- WINDS NEAR DUE NORTH AT OR JUST ABOVE 10 KT AT TIMES THIS   
  AFTERNOON  

- A FEW HOUR PERIOD OF LAKE EFFECT SNOW SHOWERS LIKELY LATER THIS  
  EVENING INTO OVERNIGHT  

- VARIABLE AND LIGHT WINDS MONDAY MORNING BECOMING SOUTHEAST AND  
  GRADUALLY INCREASING IN THE AFTERNOON  

LAKE EFFECT SNOW SHOWERS WILL REMAIN EAST OF ORD AND MDW THIS   
AFTERNOON, THOUGH THE CLOUDS ARE LIKELY VISIBLE FROM MDW TO THE  
EAST. THESE SNOW SHOWERS WILL CONTINUE TO HIT GYY HARD THROUGH AT  
LEAST 20Z WITH BRIEF SUB 1/4SM VISIBILITY AT TIMES. THE BAND OF   
SNOW SHOWERS WILL LIKELY SHIFT EAST SLIGHTLY INTO THE AFTERNOON  
AND THEN RETROGRADE BACK TO THE WEST THIS EVENING. CONFIDENCE ON  
SPECIFIC TIMING OF THESE SNOW SHOWERS TO MOVE BACK INTO MDW AND  
ORD IS LOW, BUT CONFIDENCE IS MEDIUM-HIGH THAT THEY WILL MOVE BACK  
INTO THE AIRPORTS, ESPECIALLY MDW. MOST PARAMETERS FOR THE LAKE  
EFFECT SNOW THIS EVENING ARE BECOMING WEAKER THAN THEY ARE NOW,  
HOWEVER SOME WILL STILL REMAIN FAIRLY DECENT. SO BRIEF VISIBILITY  
UNDER 1SM IN THE SNOW SHOWERS, MAINLY AT MDW AFTER 04Z, IS   
PLAUSIBLE.  

PRELIMINARY LOCAL STORM REPORT  
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE CHICAGO IL  
1212 PM CST SUN JAN 20 2019  

.TIME...   ...EVENT...      ...CITY LOCATION...     ...LAT.LON  

.DATE...   ....MAG....      ..COUNTY LOCATION..ST.. ...SOURCE.  

..REMARKS..  

1209 PM     SNOW             2 NW HAMMOND            41.60N 87.52W  
01/20/2019  E5.0 INCH        LAKE               IN   PUBLIC             

FROM TODAY ONLY. REPORTED BY WJOB RADIO.   

1200 PM     SNOW             GARY AIRPORT            41.62N 87.41W  
01/20/2019  E6.0 INCH        LAKE               IN   PUBLIC             

FROM TODAY ONLY. REPORTED AT GARY/CHICAGO   
            INTERNATIONAL AIRPORT.  

band seem to be pushing east now as that mesolow weakened

NWS Chicago

Verified account

@NWSChicago
 1m1 minute ago
More
A Winter Storm Warning remains in effect until 4 pm CST for northern Lake County, IN, where heavy lake effect snow continues. Use extreme caution if traveling through this area this p.m., including along I-80, 90, 94. As of 12 pm, 5-6+" have been reported in Gary-Hammond. #INwx

1 hour ago, KeenerWx said:
1 hour ago, janetjanet998 said:

i would have to think at least  6-8 inches around GYY ..the poster in munster said he had 3-4 inches in 90 minutes under weaker bands and that was over 2 hours ago

GYY has had SN+ last 3 hourly obs

that mesolow may be breaking down some...we will see

Any guesses as to how much has been put down?

I'll say 6-8.  Was pretty close to a white out around an hour ago.  I'll get out and measure in a bit. 

2 minutes ago, janetjanet998 said:

I wonder if LOT will reissue the advisory for Cook county for tonight?  2-4ish  for starters

I'm guessing they wait until evening to see how it's playing out.  Generally speaking, it should trend west but too much uncertainty with intensity/duration.

17 minutes ago, janetjanet998 said:

I wonder if LOT will reissue the advisory for Cook county for tonight?  2-4ish  for starters

18z HRRR seems to hint at another meso low just offhore too dumping a almost foot just off shore SE Cook/Lake IND

Yeah that will be interesting to watch.  Not out of the realm of possibility for Gary/Hammond to get pounded again later tonight.

52 minutes ago, RCNYILWX said:

What's your location? Will pass your report to my office when you do measure.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

I live on the South Side Of East Chicago, Indiana.  I measured six inches in several locations and seven inches in a handful of locations. That's total snowfall.  

• Like 1

My dad in Toledo says

"We have officially gotten 8.5 inches. We may have gotten a little bit more at the house"

Going west-east the whole area got 8-12” with a foot out by Sandusky where they got additional lake effect. It was deep in the driveway, I’ll take a picture but the neighbors super duty F250 actually got stuck for a bit when plowing

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, TheRegionRat said:

I live on the South Side Of East Chicago, Indiana.  I measured six inches in several locations and seven inches in a handful of locations. That's total snowfall.  

My in-laws used to live at Indy and Carrol (In the shadow of the old bridge)