Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Interior NW & NE Burbs 2019

gravitylover

2 hours ago, BxEngine said:

exposure is what got irishrob locked up one thanksgiving eve...

If you’ve got flaunt it, even in that kind of weather. Enjoy Thursday all. I am thankful for all in the multi forums. At my stage, life would be a lot dimmer without the joy of the read and sometimes cautious reply. As always ....

• Like 2

2 hours ago, rclab said:

If you’ve got flaunt it, even in that kind of weather. Enjoy Thursday all. I am thankful for all in the multi forums. At my stage, life would be a lot dimmer without the joy of the read and sometimes cautious reply. As always ....

Thank you and same to you. We’ll continue to try to bring some comic relief along with our solid weather observations LOL

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Hitman said:

It’s really gusting out here.

Yeah, it's nuts. Footballs soaring through the air without anyone throwing them. Aunt Barbara's cigarettes keep flying out of her mouth and she's getting mad. Stoner cousin home from college sees trees coming through the window, and for the first time he's actually right.

• Haha 2

12 minutes ago, chietanen said:

Hi all... long time no talk! What are everyone’s thoughts on the upcoming system? We know that SWFEs almost always overproduce for us, plus the developing low and associated deformation seem to be favoring our area at the moment. Could be a fun one. 

Hey, glad to see you stop by!  I was just updating my monthly numbers and realized that I’m going to finish November with below normal snowfall, winter cancel :bike:  

My November average is only 1.3”...my December average is 8.8”, I’m hoping at least December with be above average after the first few days.  I agree, this could be a fun few days incoming. 

21 minutes ago, IrishRob17 said:

Hey, glad to see you stop by!  I was just updating my monthly numbers and realized that I’m going to finish November with below normal snowfall, winter cancel :bike:  

My November average is only 1.3”...my December average is 8.8”, I’m hoping at least December with be above average after the first few days.  I agree, this could be a fun few days incoming. 

I thought we didnt want november snow to ensure a better winter? Thats what all the best posters here say, snow before december cancels winter? Lol

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, chietanen said:

Hi all... long time no talk! What are everyone’s thoughts on the upcoming system? We know that SWFEs almost always overproduce for us, plus the developing low and associated deformation seem to be favoring our area at the moment. Could be a fun one. 

A lot of moving parts to this system which makes me nervous, but yes, potential is high.  

24 minutes ago, BxEngine said:

I thought we didnt want november snow to ensure a better winter? Thats what all the best posters here say, snow before december cancels winter? Lol

Yeah, we punt Nov, punt Dec, maybe the second half of Jan MAY produce something....really we should just punt the entire winter and see what we can do in winter 20-21.  It’s over. 

16 minutes ago, BxEngine said:

It will be practically December when this thing gets cranking so hopefully we’ll be ok.

i would also appreciate your all learned opinions.  My daughter has to drive back to school in Ithaca on Sunday.  I’m thinking, she should leave in the morning and maybe take 84 out to Scranton instead of 17 through the Catskills.  Looking like it doesn’t start snowing here until later in the day but out there it starts in the morning.  But I’m figuring 84 is bigger better than 17 and substantially south.

3 minutes ago, Hitman said:

It will be practically December when this thing gets cranking so hopefully we’ll be ok.

i would also appreciate your all learned opinions.  My daughter has to drive back to school in Ithaca on Sunday.  I’m thinking, she should leave in the morning and maybe take 84 out to Scranton instead of 17 through the Catskills.  Looking like it doesn’t start snowing here until later in the day but out there it starts in the morning.  But I’m figuring 84 is bigger better than 17 and substantially south.

I haven’t looked at timing of the storm to see how early she may want to leave, ideally avoid the precip altogether but yeah, 17 can be pretty sketchy and isolated in spots in bad weather. 

48 minutes ago, Hitman said:

84 is a bigger road but also has more traffic. That does two things, one it beats up the snow on the road and makes it more challenging, the second is there are more other vehicles around to do dumb things and ruin your day for you. While 17 is a bit isolated in spots it's a good road and with less traffic should be fairly easy to travel on as long as it's not icy. I'd leave super early, like 5am, to get out ahead of it because once she pops north of 17 and is on the small roads things can get dicey in a hurry.

10 minutes ago, gravitylover said:

84 is a bigger road but also has more traffic. That does two things, one it beats up the snow on the road and makes it more challenging, the second is there are more other vehicles around to do dumb things and ruin your day for you. While 17 is a bit isolated in spots it's a good road and with less traffic should be fairly easy to travel on as long as it's not icy. I'd leave super early, like 5am, to get out ahead of it because once she pops north of 17 and is on the small roads things can get dicey in a hurry.

Interesting.  In terms of traffic, I would think early Sunday morning, traffic will be less of an issue.  There’s no way I’m getting her to leave at 5am.  That would be ideal as she would get there before the onset even out there but that just isn’t going to happen with the college girl.

1 minute ago, Hitman said:

Interesting.  In terms of traffic, I would think early Sunday morning, traffic will be less of an issue.  There’s no way I’m getting her to leave at 5am.  That would be ideal as she would get there before the onset even out there but that just isn’t going to happen with the college girl.

84 gets quiet but never really goes dead, it's just too important a route for trucks. 17 sees next to nothing for truck traffic other than local deliveries because the section east of Binghamton sucks. It's tight and twisty and the speed limit is too low. Speaking of speed limits watch out around Monticello, the troopers out of Thompson have some pretty high numbers to hit and they're aggressive. I got pulled over less than 1/2 mile from where it goes up to 65 doing 65 (in a 55) and it's crazy expensive. I get the college kid not leaving early thing (I have 20 year old twins that are juniors at West Conn)but this is one of those times where she needs to grow up and get it done. Either that or leave Saturday. What's usually a 4 or so hour drive will be 8 on Sunday.

• Like 1

Winter Storm Watch

URGENT - WINTER WEATHER MESSAGE
National Weather Service Binghamton NY
314 PM EST Fri Nov 29 2019

NYZ045-056-057-062-PAZ039-040-048-072-301100-
/O.NEW.KBGM.WS.A.0010.191201T1200Z-191203T0000Z/
Chenango-Broome-Delaware-Sullivan-Susquehanna-Northern Wayne-Pike-
Southern Wayne-
Including the cities of Norwich, Binghamton, Delhi, Walton,
Monticello, Hallstead, Montrose, Damascus, Equinunk, Milford,
and Honesdale
314 PM EST Fri Nov 29 2019

...WINTER STORM WATCH IN EFFECT FROM SUNDAY MORNING THROUGH
MONDAY EVENING...

* WHAT...Heavy mixed precipitation possible. Total snow
  accumulations of 8 to 14 inches and ice accumulations of around
  one tenth of an inch possible.

* WHERE...In Pennsylvania, Susquehanna, Northern Wayne, Pike and
  Southern Wayne counties. In New York, Chenango, Broome,
  Delaware and Sullivan counties.

* WHEN...From Sunday morning through Monday evening.

* IMPACTS...Travel could be very difficult to impossible. The
  hazardous conditions could impact the morning or evening
  commute.

* ADDITIONAL DETAILS...A period of snow and sleet will move
  through the area Sunday morning, before mixing with freezing
  rain in the afternoon and evening hours. Another period of
  steady, or even heavy snow is forecast for Sunday night into
  Monday. Snowfall rates could reach 2 inches per hour at times,
  especially Sunday night and Monday. Temperatures will be in the
  mid 20s to lower 30s through the event.

6 hours ago, Hitman said:

Tight and twisty is what I think she should avoid.  Also, don’t you think 84 being south would be less likely or later to have accumulation on the roadway than 17?

Tight for a semi is different from what todays passenger vehicles handle without breathing hard. Even our Forester is comfy at 10 over through there. No I don't think 84/81 would be any better at all, in fact I think it will be worse. The Poconos get it just as bad as the Endless Mountains and southern Catskills in these setups, they all run similar elevation and are only separated by about 75-100 miles. Take a look at that WSW posted above and tell her to leave tomorrow afternoon or at 5am (not 7 ;) ) unless she wants to wait for Tuesday. I have 20 year old twin daughters and there's no way I'd be ok with them heading into this on Sunday. It's going to take her at least 8 hours and probably more like 10 if she waits until 9am to leave.  It doesn't matter which way she goes she has to go over 1800 feet and will spend 100 miles or so above 1500, that's where this storm will really be firing on all cylinders.

1 hour ago, gravitylover said:

Tight for a semi is different from what todays passenger vehicles handle without breathing hard. Even our Forester is comfy at 10 over through there. No I don't think 84/81 would be any better at all, in fact I think it will be worse. The Poconos get it just as bad as the Endless Mountains and southern Catskills in these setups, they all run similar elevation and are only separated by about 75-100 miles. Take a look at that WSW posted above and tell her to leave tomorrow afternoon or at 5am (not 7 ;) ) unless she wants to wait for Tuesday. I have 20 year old twin daughters and there's no way I'd be ok with them heading into this on Sunday. It's going to take her at least 8 hours and probably more like 10 if she waits until 9am to leave.  It doesn't matter which way she goes she has to go over 1800 feet and will spend 100 miles or so above 1500, that's where this storm will really be firing on all cylinders.

Gonna have her leave tomorrow night and avoid all issues.

• Like 3