Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Interior NW & NE Burbs 2019

gravitylover

10 hours ago, gravitylover said:

Every good meteor shower this year has been obscured by clouds :( Every one...

The recent rains really did wonders for the soil condition in the woods. It's so nice out there now (as long as you don't go down because the wet leaves are hiding the rocks and roots underneath). 

It's raw out there today, really feels like fall. I think it should be a few degrees cooler than the current 53 though, right? 

This is my least favorite time of year to ride.  Sticks, wet leaves and acorns that are like ball bearings.

Light display installation is in full swing here. I'm hoping to surpass 100k lights this year for the first time. It'll be tricky since I still use incandescent bulbs almost exclusively, and even last year I had to get creative to keep breakers from tripping. I did upgrade a few 15 amp circuits to 20s in the off-season, which makes a pretty big difference in my experience,

8 hours ago, Juliancolton said:

Light display installation is in full swing here. I'm hoping to surpass 100k lights this year for the first time. It'll be tricky since I still use incandescent bulbs almost exclusively, and even last year I had to get creative to keep breakers from tripping. I did upgrade a few 15 amp circuits to 20s in the off-season, which makes a pretty big difference in my experience,

Holy shit, and with incandescent bulbs?!

• Like 1

12 hours ago, gravitylover said:

I only ended up with .63 but it was nonstop, went from mist to drizzle to moderate rain from about 10am until 3 am. 

Almost exactly the same here. We appear to be in for another soaking rainfall on Sunday. In the meantime, pretty epic outside right now.

6 hours ago, IrishRob17 said:

Holy shit, and with incandescent bulbs?!

Mostly, yeah. There are a few applications where LEDs are advantageous, like elements furthest from the road that need to be brighter. Otherwise I just personally prefer the warmer tones of incandescent light, especially with larger format bulbs like C7 and C9... warm-white LED mini lights are getting pretty close to that classic look.

I do feel badly about using 5-8x more energy than is strictly necessary with current alternatives, but I can't get crazy about it. Just be mindful and try to make good choices elsewhere, etc.

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, Juliancolton said:

Almost exactly the same here. We appear to be in for another soaking rainfall on Sunday. In the meantime, pretty epic outside right now.

Mostly, yeah. There are a few applications where LEDs are advantageous, like elements furthest from the road that need to be brighter. Otherwise I just personally prefer the warmer tones of incandescent light, especially with larger format bulbs like C7 and C9... warm-white LED mini lights are getting pretty close to that classic look.

I do feel badly about using 5-8x more energy than is strictly necessary with current alternatives, but I can't get crazy about it. Just be mindful and try to make good choices elsewhere, etc.

You don't see too many more c9's. Mostly led's now.  It was easy to find the burnt out ones and to replace them.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Juliancolton said:

Of course I've been in Buffalo and it's been marginal with a few sprinkles. Windy and cool. Fall. Now I'm in Ellicotville and it's cold. It was nice on the drive out here...

• Sad 1

19 hours ago, Juliancolton said:

In the meantime, pretty epic outside right now.

Yeah, I meant to post about this on Wednesday morning but it’s budget season which is always “entertaining” in my world, and rather busy this year. Anyway back to Wednesday morning, a picture perfect October morning it was in my neck of the woods. There was patchy ground fog with deep blue skies and sunshine above, this combined with the trees that did put on a show this year was indeed epic. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, IrishRob17 said:

Yeah, I meant to post about this on Wednesday morning but it’s budget season which is always “entertaining” in my world, and rather busy this year. Anyway back to Wednesday morning, a picture perfect October morning it was in my neck of the woods. There was patchy ground fog with deep blue skies and sunshine above, this combined with the trees that did put on a show this year was indeed epic. 

Delayed but not denied.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Juliancolton said:

Delayed but not denied.

Yes, thankfully we were not denied like in the past couple of years. It is unfortunate though that some trees did stress from he dry September.  Looking back at my rainfall totals in 2015, the last fully epic foliage year IMBY, and it had a wet June, dry July, slightly below normal August and a wet September.  Is that the key?  Who the hell knows, there are some many variables that go into foliage color, timing, and duration.

2 hours ago, IrishRob17 said:

Yes, thankfully we were not denied like in the past couple of years. It is unfortunate though that some trees did stress from he dry September.  Looking back at my rainfall totals in 2015, the last fully epic foliage year IMBY, and it had a wet June, dry July, slightly below normal August and a wet September.  Is that the key?  Who the hell knows, there are some many variables that go into foliage color, timing, and duration.

Agreed on all counts. A lot of folks are sure they have the answer, usually something about a wet summer followed by cool nights in September. Like you say, it's probably impossible to account for all the variables. Cloudcover is a big one and it isn't always perfectly matched to precip anomalies, so it gets overlooked. Even things like rainfall chemistry and atmospheric pollutants affect plant behavior, so it stands to reason they probably impact leaf color in the fall. Then there's the subjective aspect. If the weather's nice and you're healthy, spending a lot of time outdoors and just generally enjoying yourself, that's when the leaves look their nicest, regardless of whether they're a couple shades less vivid than they could be.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Hitman said:

1.09” in the hopper.

drove to Ithaca and back.  Once in the Catskills and west, it was decidedly past peak.  Still spectacular.  Even if it’s an off season.  Was pleasantly surprised that most of the drive home this afternoon was dry.  Even had to put the sunglasses on a couple of times.

Did you notice how awesome the color is on the Larch trees this year? There are some stands along 17 and on the north facing hillsides on the south side of the road that are really hot this year.

What a miserable day yesterday was, once the wetness started in the morning it didn't give up until almost 9pm here and left me with 1.45" on the day. Looks like this week after today is going to be more of the same :( 

4 hours ago, gravitylover said:

Did you notice how awesome the color is on the Larch trees this year? There are some stands along 17 and on the north facing hillsides on the south side of the road that are really hot this year.

What a miserable day yesterday was, once the wetness started in the morning it didn't give up until almost 9pm here and left me with 1.45" on the day. Looks like this week after today is going to be more of the same :( 

That really came out of nowhere for the period thru Wednesday. I wouldn't be surprised to see some steadier showers (vs. the "patchy drizzle" point forecast) if the inverted surface reflection sharpens up a little, like the RGEM and hi-res NAM illustrate. Either way, really rotten. Looking at satellite there does appear to be hope that the clearing line will make its way here before sunset. If so, would probably be our last glimpse of sunshine until late Friday afternoon.

My brother just moved out to Denver for work recently and is already seeing his third snowfall of the season. 4-8" more Wednesday with temps in the teens... envy abounds

7 hours ago, gravitylover said:

I did notice that.

16 hours ago, Juliancolton said:

That really came out of nowhere for the period thru Wednesday. I wouldn't be surprised to see some steadier showers (vs. the "patchy drizzle" point forecast) if the inverted surface reflection sharpens up a little, like the RGEM and hi-res NAM illustrate. Either way, really rotten. Looking at satellite there does appear to be hope that the clearing line will make its way here before sunset. If so, would probably be our last glimpse of sunshine until late Friday afternoon.

My brother just moved out to Denver for work recently and is already seeing his third snowfall of the season. 4-8" more Wednesday with temps in the teens... envy abounds

Well that clear line almost made it. I was on the still cloudy side with blue sky just to my south and west. It got bright enough with hard peeks of sun that sunglasses were necessary especially right at sunset. Now it's wet. At least it's not cold and dreary.

1 hour ago, Hitman said:

Another lovely day in the valley.  .28” overnight.  1.53” on the week, 2.27” for the month.

I assume your monthly total is low because you had those issues earlier with your rain gauge? This October here is the third wettest since I moved here in 2005, and could very well be the second wettest depending on what happens today and when the line gets here tonight, it'll be close.  I was right around 6" when I left this morning and Oct 2010 had 6.30" with the wettest Oct here being 2005 when I recorded 17.06"

1 hour ago, IrishRob17 said:

I assume your monthly total is low because you had those issues earlier with your rain gauge? This October here is the third wettest since I moved here in 2005, and could very well be the second wettest depending on what happens today and when the line gets here tonight, it'll be close.  I was right around 6" when I left this morning and Oct 2010 had 6.30" with the wettest Oct here being 2005 when I recorded 17.06"

As of 11am today, 0.35 for the day 7.13 for the month 

• Like 1