Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Banter Thread

jburns

8 hours ago, frazdaddy said:

One of the best games I've seen them play in a while. Petr is in a zone.

It was a defensive masterpiece.  Nice to see considering the skaters they have out.  Canes might be one of the best 3-on-3 teams around.

I’d post in the NHL thread in our sports zone forum here, but it’s all Bruins and other northeast fans in there.  LOL

6 hours ago, magpiemaniac said:

It was a defensive masterpiece.  Nice to see considering the skaters they have out.  Canes might be one of the best 3-on-3 teams around.

I’d post in the NHL thread in our sports zone forum here, but it’s all Bruins and other northeast fans in there.  LOL

I agree, maybe in a couple of months we can both go in there and honk a bit!

• Thanks 1

I’ve been dealing with some scammers trying to get into my AT&T wireless account since yesterday.  The emails, texts, and calls are becoming increasingly slick and sophisticated nowadays.  I’ve had to reset my password three times in the past day.  AT&T’s customer service is so atrocious that they all sound like scammers whether they’re legit or not.

My father (a retired Baptist minister) is 88 years old.  When I told him about it, he replied, “The dollar you make today: there’s an @sshole staying up late tonight figuring out how to get it.”  :lol:

If you people don’t stop bickering about the weather, I’m gonna have to start talking about politics and religion.  :P

But, yeah, this in one of my favorite boards because it is about the weather as a hobby and most of us don’t get too bent out of shape about things.  We just all need to focus on keeping the conversation in the right threads.  I fall short sometimes.

• Haha 1

OK...before everyone jumps on me, I'm new as you can obviously see but I've observed and lurked for years.  I swear I remember an "introduce yourself" thread but I sure can't find it.  So, that being said, I wanted to say thank you all for the years of knowledge and pure enjoyment I have gotten from this site.  It's hard to believe that so much education and knowledge is on this one site but I have seen predictions and forecasting that the suits couldn't touch! 

So thank you all for helping me learn and giving me so much enjoyment.  Appreciate it and sorry for this being in the Banter Thread.   

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Display Name said:

OK...before everyone jumps on me, I'm new as you can obviously see but I've observed and lurked for years.  I swear I remember an "introduce yourself" thread but I sure can't find it.  So, that being said, I wanted to say thank you all for the years of knowledge and pure enjoyment I have gotten from this site.  It's hard to believe that so much education and knowledge is on this one site but I have seen predictions and forecasting that the suits couldn't touch! 

So thank you all for helping me learn and giving me so much enjoyment.  Appreciate it and sorry for this being in the Banter Thread.   

Feel free to jump in and participate. No one will “jump on you” although I have to say that your display name is the weakest display name I have ever seen displayed.

• Haha 1

I hate to tell you this...that was the third name I tried.  I couldn't get the other two attempts at an account to go thru, not sure if it was my email or what but I searched the spam, the drafts, every folder and waited for days in both cases.  I never did see a verification email and the very next time I tried it, I gave a *hit name and wouldn't you know it worked that time!!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Black & Gold said:

I hate to tell you this...that was the third name I tried.  I couldn't get the other two attempts at an account to go thru, not sure if it was my email or what but I searched the spam, the drafts, every folder and waited for days in both cases.  I never did see a verification email and the very next time I tried it, I gave a *hit name and wouldn't you know it worked that time!!

Just picking at you a bit. If you want to change your name we can get it done but it really doesn’t matter.

I have a practical question for the board. It's obviously too late for the current storm, but thinking about the future, how practical is a home standby generator for people with heat pump heat?

I can't remember precisely, but I think it's a 3 ton, 14 or 15 SEER unit, with heat strips. I assume the strips are out of the question, but can you practically/safely run the heat off a generator? In such a case, I would be talking about just running at some minimum level of comfort. From what I've read, the starting in-rush is just going to be too much for most home generators.

Complicating matters is that I do not have gas service at my home, nor is it currently offered to my address. So were I to get a generator, I'd also need to pay for installation of gas service, or a tank and a delivery service. I don't even know if there's gas service on my street.

16 minutes ago, Black & Gold said:

Thank you.  I checked and saw that I could change it so I did and you are SO right, that name stunk but naturally it was the one that went thru!  

I don't mind the picking in the least!  I appreciate getting onto the site after weeks of trying!  Thank you again!

Enjoy.   Black and Gold is for?

23 minutes ago, landof2rivers said:

I saw in the threat thread that people are planning ahead. So, in that vein, what items are suggested? It's not like snow where you put down salt or sand. Other than having gas on hand for the generator, charging items, and getting batteries, what am I missing? TIA

I use light plastic hung on command strips to block off a small area. I have a ton of candles and clay pots to help warm the room. That comes in handy when you don’t have a fireplace.  Hand warmers, strategically placed, are a good investment. Adding hot water in plastic bottles under blankets helps to keep you warm. Keep the car filled up to unthaw as needed too.  

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, buckeyefan1 said:

I use light plastic hung on command strips to block off a small area. I have a ton of candles and clay pots to help warm the room. That comes in handy when you don’t have a fireplace.  Hand warmers, strategically placed, are a good investment. Adding hot water in plastic bottles under blankets helps to keep you warm. Keep the car filled up to unthaw as needed too.  

Sounds complicated. I use a much simpler old fashioned method. Lucky for me my wife is a bit too old to get pregnant. Bring on the storm.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, buckeyefan1 said:

Thanks for the suggestions

1 hour ago, jburns said:

Sounds complicated. I use a much simpler old fashioned method. Lucky for me my wife is a bit too old to get pregnant. Bring on the storm.

Lol

3 hours ago, NCSU_Pi said:

I have a practical question for the board. It's obviously too late for the current storm, but thinking about the future, how practical is a home standby generator for people with heat pump heat?

I can't remember precisely, but I think it's a 3 ton, 14 or 15 SEER unit, with heat strips. I assume the strips are out of the question, but can you practically/safely run the heat off a generator? In such a case, I would be talking about just running at some minimum level of comfort. From what I've read, the starting in-rush is just going to be too much for most home generators.

Complicating matters is that I do not have gas service at my home, nor is it currently offered to my address. So were I to get a generator, I'd also need to pay for installation of gas service, or a tank and a delivery service. I don't even know if there's gas service on my street.

A larger whole-house backup generator should be large enough depending on what else it would run.  Generac makes air-cooled generators up to 24 kw.  An electrician can calculate what size you need.  You might not need one that large depending on what else you’d be running.  For fuel, a 500-gallon in-ground propane tank (filled at 80% for expansion) would run the generator for over 5 days on full load and over 8 days on half load.

Of course, a portable, gas-fueled generator could not handle that sort of load.  They’re for the basics like refrigerator, microwave, etc.

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, magpiemaniac said:

A larger whole-house backup generator should be large enough depending on what else it would run.  Generac makes air-cooled generators up to 24 kw.  An electrician can calculate what size you need.  You might not need one that large depending on what else you’d be running.  For fuel, a 500-gallon in-ground propane tank (filled at 80% for expansion) would run the generator for over 5 days on full load and over 8 days on half load.

Of course, a portable, gas-fueled generator could not handle that sort of load.  They’re for the basics like refrigerator, microwave, etc.

That set up installed less the tank will run 8500.00 installed. Well worth it if your county's grid is mostly above ground. We lose power at least twice a month in Chat Co.