• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Upstate/Eastern New York

I'm always interested in how close we are to "real" winter whenever we're stuck in a bad winter pattern.  The next 24-48 hours is a good example.  We're all looking at mid to upper 40's tomorrow with rain, and for the most part back to no snow cover.  But just go about 100 miles north of Lake Ontario and they're in line to add up to a foot of snow on top of a current 8-16" snow pack.  

Kind of makes me think I should start planning a winter trip or two up into southern Ontario where winter conditions are pretty much a lock.  

Ontario snow.PNG

snow cover map.PNG

The Long Term period continues to promote uncertainty as models
diverge with the track and strength of a southern stream system. The
ECMWF continues to be the stronger solution, tracking a rapidly
deepening surface low southeast of the Lower Great Lakes and off the
coast of Maine by 12z Saturday. Cold air would be pushed into Canada
and temperatures would lead to rain and snow across western and
north central NY. On the contrary, the 12z GFS keeps the southern
stream across the Gulf Coast states while a shortwave, northern
stream system brings cold, snowy conditions across the forecast area
Friday-Saturday. Will keep with consistency for most of the region
with chance of rain and snow showers in the forecast however
increased chance to likely east of Lake Ontario. If the southern
stream system is suppressed to the south, that should allow colder
and snowier conditions across the forecast area

10 minutes ago, CNY_WX said:

At least we will have some action. Should break it down into 2-3 vortices. Hoping one gets lodged over NE. 

I completely understand the emotional roller coaster some of us have been on. We have a mental problem that is only satiated by snow. When it doesn’t come we get crazy. There’s only a handful of us on the planet. We should be grateful that we found each other;  but instead we will bicker and hurl crap at each other. 

I haven’t even been able to change my ridiculous avatar. Can’t do it until a big one. 

It’s all good. We will survive this horrible, no good, very bad winter. 

Been here for 16 yrs now and I'm certain that we'll eventually get ours but no one knows when and I don't care who you are. Long range forecasting is a carp shoot and these sites coming out with forecasters, for the Winter, in the previous July is a complete joke, WB, just saying and when their wrong they try to defend themselves, lol!

8 minutes ago, rochesterdave said:

I completely understand the emotional roller coaster some of us have been on. We have a mental problem that is only satiated by snow. When it doesn’t come we get crazy. There’s only a handful of us on the planet. We should be grateful that we found each other;  but instead we will bicker and hurl crap at each other. 

I haven’t even been able to change my ridiculous avatar. Can’t do it until a big one. 

It’s all good. We will survive this horrible, no good, very bad winter. 

What is the whole deal with your avatar? Is this an ongoing joke? Keep reading talk of it.

This whole pattern is EXACTLY why I was excited to move to the Tug. Despite the crappiness, I have maintained a snow pack for almost 2 full months. It has taken huge hits though.

After tonight's cutter, I may even be down to just bare ground with snow piles.

The avatar drives Freak a little bit nuts. Which is why I keep it. I did promise him I’d dump it once we got a good storm. I have a new toy I’m dying to post a pic of and that  will be my new avatar. But alas! No storms. 

12z GFS has a Colorado Low cutting across the nation in about a week. Maybe? Lol

• Haha 1

Some places up in the UP of MI are in the same boat.  Keewenaw Peninsula is some 40-50" below the norms for the time of yr.  All across the Great Lakes we're all a bit BN but not like places up across Lake Superior, not good. Anyway, I think our next serious chance for a synoptic system with some real Vodka cold on the back side is in about 8 days.  Both the GFS and the Euro see something but naturally its still light years out as far as sensible weather is concerned.

sfcwind_mslp.conus.png