Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
December 8-10 Storm Discussion

Holston_River_Rambler

4 minutes ago, John1122 said:

Despite basically every feature looking better regarding placement of highs and lows vs it's prior run, the GFS significantly cut snow totals from it's prior run for the forum area. Especially those north of 40 from Dyersburg to the Plateau to Johnson City.

Yep, I was looking at feature placements as it was coming in and thinking this run will be much better in the snow department for Tennesseans.  I was pretty surprised to see it go the other way.  Not that I am going to give more weight to the happy hour GFS vs. the most recent Euro run.

By the way, who broke the FV3?  Never completed it's 12z run and hasn't started 18z...

• Like 2

In the last big storm in the midwest from about 110 -120 hours out I looked at how the GFS vs. Euro did with the 850 low at the same future time stamp. Basically, who had the higher margin of error.

Image 1: GFS at range

Image 2: GFS near verification 

Image 3: Euro at range

Image 4: Euro near verification time

Not saying this one will play out this way, but maybe we have the Euro's margin of error in our favor here?

GFS comp 1.png

GFS comp2.png

euro comp 2.png

euro comp 1.png

I know the "forecast hours" of the GFS vs Euro I have aren't precisely matched up, but the Euro did better with and even longer lead time.

18z GEFS ensemble mean snowfall accum. looks tighter to the northern edge (out of our area) with about the same cut off to the south. Totals look higher for SW VA and NE TN.

Looking at all the individual members, I have to say they are all south of 12z, overall. 

EDIT: shouldn't say all, what I meant was overall, looking at the 20 Ensembles, there are more south than at 12z, if that makes sense. 

Watching the models over the past few days the thorn in everyone's sides has been the temperatures. I don't get it... It seems like no matter how favorable the set-up is the model operationals are hell-bent :devilsmiley: on staying above freezing. This isn't just an issue south of I-40... it affects everyone west of the eastern continental divide. It falls into the fear of being locked at 34 degrees for 48 hours straight watching WNC get plastered. Well disregarding my grumbling about that it can't take away what I'm seeing right now and I'm sure you all have had to tolerate countless near misses. As we get closer the operationals will become what we primarily rely on and right now the inner weenie in me wants to hang on to the ensemble means for dear life. Hey at least the Euro has consistently been in my favor up here.

• Like 2

Hearing that the 18z Euro is south of 12z. No details as to exactly what that means in terms of High/ Low placement. This is coming from the SE forum and another weatherboard. Euro is running at 6z and 18z now, but not sure exactly how it works. 

Here is an image I stole. The resolution is horrible, but is the best I got. Anyone subscribe to a site that has it?

I think the left is 18z and the right is 12z, but have no clue based on the resolution. 

18z 12z Euro.png

2 minutes ago, Holston_River_Rambler said:

Hearing that the 18z Euro is south of 12z. No details as to exactly what that means in terms of High/ Low placement. This is coming from the SE forum and another weatherboard. Euro is running at 6z and 18z now, but not sure exactly how it works. 

Here is an image I stole. The resolution is horrible, but is the best I got. Anyone subscribe to a site that has it?

I think the left is 18z and the right is 12z, but have no clue based on the resolution. 

18z 12z Euro.png

Then I “think” they said the 18z EPS was a tick north.  I could be wrong.

• Thanks 1

To be totally honest (and I know people like me in the central valley are on the razor's edge with this one) it doesn't look terribly different to me other than the high may be a little plumper.  It looks like it extends into NC a little more, so I could see why they would like that.  Maybe a touch slower with the surface low? 

EDIT: Carver's is right, "they" did say the 18z EPS was south, but they also said the 18z Op was north of 12z. 

I should also add that what they consider north or south may be very different from what someone in our area does, because we are looking for different set ups. 

• Like 1

18z FV3 slowly coming in on tropical tidbits and boy is it a good one. Dynamical cooling really takes effect. Here’s the clown out to 126. There are some frames there and not there after this time frame. But it appears that some snow sticks around to hour 150. So this map will go up some once it loads.

05eeeba3f8183b294022992f3670e75c.jpg

• Like 1

• Mr Bob unpinned this topic