• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
December 8-10 Storm Discussion

Holston_River_Rambler

@Blue Ridge, I agree w the 09-10 comparisons.  I think blunder had even mentioned that as well.  Here are the comparisons from 0z(top) and 12z(bottom).  You know the 6z off-run of the Euro signaled the nudge south.  It looked like it was coming north early in the run as temps warmed a hair compared to 0z.  That said, the precip shield was noticeably flatter.  

2101136931_ScreenShot2018-12-05at1_41_15PM.png.de9bff3bfdc29f734973808148226722.png

44393025_ScreenShot2018-12-05at1_41_06PM.png.9d0525f3d9f2fd7f6146f57436e6256c.png

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, TellicoWx said:

ecmwf_z850_vort_se_19.png

I'm focusing on that too. The position of the low at 850mb makes a huge difference for parts of East TN. We want the flow over our region to have more of an easterly component and less of a southerly component. For multiple reasons (less WAA, less downslope potential…).

• Like 3

1 minute ago, John1122 said:

This morning Huntsville WFO was pretty bullish for the 850 low/clipper giving them a decent amount of snow. So I feel like there's still hope for our southern areas.

Agree, a storm with this many moving pieces should continue to be watched.  This 12z run leaves the door open and let's you know not all corrections are going to be north with this storm.  Just get the 850 low beneath TN cruising west to east, and let's see that happens.

• Like 1

At this point, it is all about trends and then looking at ensembles.  That was a good trend at 12z by the Euro, even for folks north of 40 w/out snow in E TN.  The snow axis came south.  Going to be a sharp cut-off in NE TN.  I have been on both sides of that line.  I have no confidence which side I will be on yet.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Math/Met said:

I'm focusing on that too. The position of the low at 850mb makes a huge difference for parts of East TN. We want the flow over our region to have more of an easterly component and less of a southerly component. For multiple reasons (less WAA, less downslope potential…).

I'm kinda at a loss on that run, looked great but for some reason it shoots the 850s up the valley at 90/96...trying to find the driver for it and at a loss. If not for that it would have been a great run.

4 minutes ago, John1122 said:

ZR/sleet removed Euro snow map. I found this interesting, the little snow hole in Eastern Claiborne County in the middle of the pink and purple is a small area that the Euro shows getting almost 2 inches of sleet. Same in that blue strip in Bell County Kentucky just north of Middlesboro.

eurnosleet.png

I could be wrong, but I think more snow falls after 9z on Monday....maybe 3 more inches in NE TN.

1 minute ago, John1122 said:

I'm sure it does, that was just the map I was able to find! I do like that that site seems to do well removing the sleet/zr from the equation.

I do to.  Would be nice to see both amounts, sleet and snow.  If that run verifies, we are going to get a mess along the northern border from your region over to TRI.  It will be lots of precip types.  

24 minutes ago, John1122 said:

As a bonus, the EURO spits out .25 or so of freezing rain just over my area with some sleet totals approaching an inch in the area too.

I somehow missed this post.  Agree.  Yeah, if this moves in at night and traps the cold air in the Valley...there may be places to our south that deal with some ice until the warm nose kicks in.  For northern areas, they may struggle to get above freezing(northern Plateau,  SE KY, SW VA).

After looking over everything, I believe the Euro is having some problems on how to handle the transfer to the coastal. When it begins it's transfer over N AL, it splits the low into two distinct pieces #1 due North to the middle TN/KY border, #2 ESE into GA heading for the coast. The transfer should have been more smoothly. Due to this odd scenario, it shoots the 850s way up over East TN responding to the #1 piece. A smoother transfer and this would have been an even more major storm for the board. Sorry for the long post.

ecmwf_z850_vort_ky_19.png

ecmwf_z850_vort_ky_21 (1).png

ecmwf_t850_ky_17.png

ecmwf_t850_ky_18.png

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• Mr Bob unpinned this topic