• Member Statistics

    16,026
    Total Members
    7,904
    Most Online
    Bobby Orr
    Newest Member
    Bobby Orr
    Joined
Sign in to follow this  
wxmanmitch

NNE Winter Thread

Recommended Posts

BTV with a short fuse Winter Weather Advisory this evening...

&&

.NEAR TERM /THROUGH TUESDAY NIGHT/...
As of 857 PM EDT Monday...Ended up issuing a small winter
weather advisory for areas where the snow just won`t seem to let
up across parts of Northern Vermont. As base of trough drops
into our area, snowfall has become enhanced. Snowfall totals
will range from 3 to 6 inches with localized higher amounts.
Previous discussion follows.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Event totals: 4.2” Snow/0.31” L.E.

 

From what I’ve seen, the current upslope snow is part of the back side of Winter Storm Taylor, so I’m still rolling totals into that system.

 

Details from the 6:00 A.M. Waterbury observations:

New Snow: 2.7 inches

New Liquid: 0.14 inches

Snow/Water Ratio: 19.3

Snow Density: 5.2% H2O

Temperature: 28.0 F

Sky:  Flurries

Snow at the stake: 31.5 inches

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, alex said:

Snowing very nicely this morning with fat flakes. About 3" plus the 3.5 we got from the storm so made it over the 6" mark

What's you season total? John up in Pittsburg is at 195". Awesome winter up there

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This morning was my best morning on the hill.  Place was empty ghost town for 8" overnight.  Love these upslope events that don't bring the crowds... no named Noreaster, no media hype with TWC posting snow maps...just lots of pow for those that sort-of pay attention.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

This morning was my best morning on the hill.  Place was empty ghost town for 8" overnight.  Love these upslope events that don't bring the crowds... no named Noreaster, no media hype with TWC posting snow maps...just lots of pow for those that sort-of pay attention.

It was curiously empty up here too PF

Seemed everyone new each other in the line up for first chairs. Seasons are changing as the topic of the morning revolved around boiling :)

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

2.0" of surprise upslope fluff here this morning. Still flurrying even now. I really didn't think I'd get in on any of the action down here, but alas we did. 

Measuring was a pain due to the wind and fluffy nature of the snow, but 2.0" was the average with a range from 1" to 3.5".

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Call it 117" on the ground up top at the MMNV1 Co-Op stake.

53873344_3032570386768378_37206507588744

So is that the official or is it your 3500’ stake? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

So is that the official or is it your 3500’ stake? 

That’s the official Mt. Mansfield Stake, which is at about 3,700’ as far as I know.  PF’s upper measurement stake for the resort is at around 3,000’ I believe.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, J.Spin said:

That’s the official Mt. Mansfield Stake, which is at about 3,700’ as far as I know.  PF’s upper measurement stake for the resort is at around 3,000’ I believe.

Thanks, that’s what I figured. Pretty sweet pack there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, CoastalWx said:

Thanks, that’s what I figured. Pretty sweet pack there.

Yup.  The snowpack around here is pretty solid.  Skiing is such that literally everything on the ground is buried, so it makes ripping pow in the glades pretty easy when all the brush and deadfall is covered up.

With nearly 5 feet on the ground at 1,500ft and nearly 10 feet at 3,700ft...you are skiing quite a bit off the ground in the woods.

Some shots from today...

53696703_10103681492032320_3187457442686

53415080_10103681493289800_6371782720342

54516094_10103681493000380_9174420499285

53827120_10103681492381620_1683047612850

53537408_10103681495505360_3190569786442

53783906_10103681495445480_1033359441971

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, powderfreak said:

This morning was my best morning on the hill.  Place was empty ghost town for 8" overnight.  Love these upslope events that don't bring the crowds... no named Noreaster, no media hype with TWC posting snow maps...just lots of pow for those that sort-of pay attention.

Buddy Joe at SR said the same thing

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
What's you season total? John up in Pittsburg is at 195". Awesome winter up there
Damn, that's like nearly 3x what we got. I know they're farther nw and that area usually does well, but it's not Stowe or some other mountain. The gradient this year north to south was very sharp. Just north of here only about 20mi by road, bridgton seemed to define the gradient where they did well and obviously points north of there.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Event totals: 4.6” Snow/0.31” L.E.

 

I measured an additional 0.4” of snow on the boards this morning before I headed off to Stowe, but it was ultra-fluffy and had sublimated by the time I got home this evening.  It looks like everything has pulled away now, so the totals above should be the final numbers from Winter Storm Taylor.

 

Details from the 6:00 P.M. Waterbury observations:

New Snow: 0.4 inches

New Liquid: Trace

Temperature: 26.4 F

Sky:  Partly Cloudy

Snow at the stake: 29.0 inches

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, J.Spin said:

Event totals: 4.6” Snow/0.31” L.E.

 

I measured an additional 0.4” of snow on the boards this morning before I headed off to Stowe, but it was ultra-fluffy and had sublimated by the time I got home this evening.  It looks like everything has pulled away now, so the totals above should be the final numbers from Winter Storm Taylor.

 

Details from the 6:00 P.M. Waterbury observations:

New Snow: 0.4 inches

New Liquid: Trace

Temperature: 26.4 F

Sky:  Partly Cloudy

Snow at the stake: 29.0 inches

Just came back from Williston, you can hardly tell it snowed last night and this morning. The sun today vaporized anything that didn’t fall on a snowy surface. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Lava Rock said:

Damn, that's like nearly 3x what we got. I know they're farther nw and that area usually does well, but it's not Stowe or some other mountain. The gradient this year north to south was very sharp. Just north of here only about 20mi by road, bridgton seemed to define the gradient where they did well and obviously points north of there.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
 

They upslope pretty well. Not quite the N Greens but plenty of surprise 5-10" events, but the gradient has been sharp regardless

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, borderwx said:

5”? For us, winds really worked it around. 

chasing flakes having a banner Jay day

It was a top 5 for the season. 

I'm still thinking about this... it was really good.  The dense snow/mixed precip (even if just a couple inches) prior was the catalyst for some great powder today.  No slick surface underneath the fluff...it was blower powder but there was that dense layer above the base snow.  All in all it was very charge-able snow.  You could be more aggressive while skiing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.