• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
March 7th 2018 Coastal Storm thread (not obs)

Rjay

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
42 minutes ago, bluewave said:

The storm gets underway in the morning giving the temps a chance to rise more than forecast before it begins. The Euro Has mid 30's for Long Island right into the evening.

ecmwf_t2m_nyc_17.thumb.png.bb0e48b8b78c7c639f39adb4274a7be4.png

I think it obviously comes down to snowfall intensity. In the noreaster of Feb 1995 sw coastal CT received a foot with 35 degree temps due to intensity.

Just now, Snow88 said:

All snow

Nice position this far out

I think since this storm is so compact that a track closer in would allow for more intense rates. Dec 2000 was a good example of a storm crossing long island and giving the area a lot of snow.

Given how compact I think a bigger concern is it being too far east than rain.

10 minutes ago, EasternLI said:

Don't think this escapes east. Look at H5, if there wasn't a block in eastern Canada this is a cutter. I'd be more worried the block trends weaker allowing a track over the area. Or maybe we hit the sweet spot, who knows.

Spin the weather model wheel at this point since each model has a different track. Root for a slower less tucked track like the NAM has. 

1 minute ago, bluewave said:

The NAM has some pretty impressive convective heavy snow potential with mid-level lapse rates closer to a summer EML.

was literally about to post the same thing. that + the rapidly deepening mid levels suggests a high potential for heavy snow banding in the afternoon. RGEM also appears to be on board.

8 minutes ago, purduewx80 said:

was literally about to post the same thing. that + the rapidly deepening mid levels suggests a high potential for heavy snow banding in the afternoon. RGEM also appears to be on board.

Yeah, that's a great heavy snow banding signal. 

20 minutes ago, snow1 said:

12z ggem is a whiff

Stop copying what new England forum has to say. You dont even know where that model is...And for now anything is on the table. I am a bit worried that we could have a solution where the storm never fully phases and it escapes out to sea because the nao starts rebounding to almost neutral to positive. But than again I've seen storms where after a very negative nao as it started bouncing to almost positive we had very big storms just like after a very cold snap as it tried to warm up. I think the one snow goose was mentioning before. That one buried central park with 12 inches if my memory is still there. Some parts of queens got over 2 feet of snow. It was a quick hitting storm it might have been a bit colder but the potential here for 6-12 inches for NYC is there. I am concerned that my favorite model cmc is an out to sea depiction. 

GFS is a crappy model but here it goes 

Screenshot_20180304-111834.png

• Rjay unpinned this topic

Archived