• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Upstate/Eastern New York

So after a 2 week thaw we look to get back into a more wintry look. February has been getting quite a bit of hype from the long range models. Will it come to fruition? The truly cold air has been getting pushed back farther and farther in the long range guidance. In general, the models have been absolutely terrible beyond 3-4 days. We have a couple shots of snow this week. Temps look to average slightly below average with a brief warmup on Weds/Thurs with highs in the mid/upper 30s. Let's take it one event at a time. Tomorrow/Tuesday look good for the western areas, 3-5". GFS came in a little wetter with this system. We all should see some decent chances over the next few weeks of snow. 

sn10_acc.us_ne.png

sn10_acc.us_ne.png

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I’ll be going away at the end of February for a week to Florida so you know they’ll be a Double Whopper with extra cheese while I’m away. In all seriousness though it definitely looks like a return to winter for the foreseeable future. Lake Erie at 60% ice cover will allow for some lake enhancement at times as you mentioned but with how cold it will be getting it will likley be back above 90% ice cover as quickly as it melted down. At least the next few weeks will bring us closer to our seasonal averages as I only need about 15-20” for the rest of the year to hit average so an average season should certainly be attainable even though most of it fell in a 6 week period from early December to mid January. If we can somehow receive above average snowfall for February and March we should finish well above average for the year. 

Winter weather advisory's now up for all of WNY.  Reading reports from Upper MW/GL's thread that this has over-produced for their area so far.  Let's see if that translates our way.  

Latest on this from BUF:

Conditions will then deteriorate across western New York later
this afternoon and especially tonight.

Upper level trough level across the upper Midwest/Upper Great lakes
will sharpen as it pushes eastward through tonight. Models depicting
an 80-100 knot jet streak lifting up the east side of the trough
into tonight. Height falls associated with this system will lead to
weak cyclogenesis over the Ohio Valley with a well defined inverted
low level trough extending into the region. This system now showing
a notably stronger low-mid level forcing signal than what previous
models suggested. Forecast soundings more favorable in the depiction
of saturation within the majority of the -10C to -20C degree layer
and with lift within this region notable stronger. Therefore we now
anticipate higher snowfall totals for a portion of the area. Best
forcing, and therefore most of the widespread light snow is expected
to develop across far western New York by mid to late afternoon with
the greater intensity snow likely from 23z to 08z. Although a wild
card remains in the respect to a developing northerly upslope and
lake enhanced snow potential very late tonight and on into Tuesday
which could boost amounts. At this point, most of western New York
should see at least a couple inches of snow, with higher amounts
focused on the higher elevations south and east of Buffalo with a
general 3 to 5 inches. A winter weather advisory as outlined below
will be issued to cover this potential.

This clipper takes an ideal track but loses some strength to the OTS LP. I wouldn’t be shocked to see some decent totals south of Ontario west of Wayne County. Talking 5” or so. As BUF puts it, “the wild card”, is enhancement with a northerly component. It’s overperformed in parts of Lower MI. 

2 hours ago, rochesterdave said:

This clipper takes an ideal track but loses some strength to the OTS LP. I wouldn’t be shocked to see some decent totals south of Ontario west of Wayne County. Talking 5” or so. As BUF puts it, “the wild card”, is enhancement with a northerly component. It’s overperformed in parts of Lower MI. 

Oddly I think this underperforms...the bulk of the snow is being eroded away by the east northeast winds and not a lot showing on radar left. Any other sides of the coin???

8 minutes ago, Thinksnow18 said:

Oddly I think this underperforms...the bulk of the snow is being eroded away by the east northeast winds and not a lot showing on radar left. Any other sides of the coin???

IDK...radar looks pretty solid to me over the border in Ontario right now.  If anything, potential for higher totals seems to continue moving north, closer to Lake Ontario (when the day started, only southern Erie County to PA was in WWA area).  If we get some extra juice from L. Ontario as this spins thru I can see an overachiever...

WNY is gonna get a nice little event tonight, congrats all the way East to Monroe cty but I'm afraid we get left out as dry air from the NE beats down whatever tries to form.  Downsloping off the tug won't help much either. We may get into some true LE Late Tues-Wed on WNW winds that may drop a few inches, but if not we'll have to wait till Thurs-Fri for some replenishment.

2 hours ago, Thinksnow18 said:

I still think tonight underachieves...don't like the way the north wind is eroding the snow...2 to 4 at best

You sure? It's only a little after 10 pm and only been snowing for a little over an hour and can't even see the grass anymore with +S right now and to me radar looks great. If anything I think this looks perfect for a quick 3-6" just as the NWS called for.

Archived