SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Upstate/Eastern New York

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
49 minutes ago, BuffaloWeather said:

It looks legit IMO. GFS has performed best last few months. Also the GEFS are all much farther NW than OP run with them being much stronger with more QPF. I think Upstate has a good shot at a decent snowstorm, especially Rochester East. 

Inclined to agree. EC hasn't been all that impressive vs GFS this winter, at least with northeast events.  The fact that it's further west than other models is possibly a good sign as, IIRC, that also happened during a decent event earlier in Jan or late Dec. Everything caved to GFS eventually.

1 minute ago, Syrmax said:

Inclined to agree. EC hasn't been all that impressive vs GFS this winter, at least with northeast events.  The fact that it's further west than other models is possibly a good sign as, IIRC, that also happened during a decent event earlier in Jan or late Dec. Everything caved to GFS eventually.

KBUF doesn't seem to think so...

the two main time
frames for any snow would come during the day Sunday and again on
Tuesday. Between these systems will be a coastal storm that will not be
an issue for our forecast area.

2 minutes ago, vortmax said:

the two main time

Just going to post that in fact KBUF sems disinterested with the whole next week regarding snow accums

7 hours ago, vortmax said:

the two main time

Buf has said things like this so many times over the years only to backtrack 24 hours later.  They really don't look outside of 4 or 5 days.  

23 minutes ago, vortmax said:

the two main time

KBGM seemed non plussed also based on AFDs I've read over the last day or so. If GFS persists and other models shift it's way, their tunes will change. I'd  want to see this on 00Z Friday runs to start getting seriously interested.

You know I'm desperate to see this verify when I'm watching off hour runs.  I almost never look at them.  18z GFS continues West with a decent hit for all of us..  I might just weenie tag myself on this one when it blows up in my face.  

That said, if we are going to chase off hour runs, it brings another great storm track up through the Tennessee valley on Wednesday.  It would make quite the epic week of snowboarding.  

Wow, 0z GFS is WAAAYYYYY West.  Weaker but wetter and a nice track for WNY.  Cannot believe how far this has corrected in 48 hours.  I'm damn near afraid its going to turn into a lakes cutter, haha. 

Another storm right on its heels.  Someone has to be getting intrigued by now.  

3 minutes ago, DeltaT13 said:

Wow, 0z GFS is WAAAYYYYY West.  Weaker but wetter and a nice track for WNY.  Cannot believe how far this has corrected in 48 hours.  I'm damn near afraid its going to turn into a lakes cutter, haha. 

Another storm right on its heels.  Someone has to be getting intrigued by now.  

Did you see that 144 storm that follows? Crazy pattern coming up. 

Obviously not going with the GFS..

A clipper low is forecast to track from Missouri to the mid-Atlantic
coast Saturday night through Sunday. Although the surface low will
be weak, the system will be supported by a fairly strong shortwave
and ample moisture. There is good model agreement with this system,
increasing confidence in a general light snowfall on Sunday with
accumulation in the 2-4 inch ballpark.

27360A67-81C6-4C5A-9CE9-658476B7E4D8.jpeg

12 minutes ago, Thinksnow18 said:

The question is who are they going with??? Clearly the GFS ops and ensembles show the snow and so does EPS...thats confusing.

We’re still 3-4 days away. Lots can still change. By tonight we may be talking about a whiff but as of right now I’m also confused as to what they’re looking at because as you said the GFS ensembles and Euro ensembles all show a pretty good hit. Hoping this comes to fruition as I only need about 15” to hit average for the year and 18” to hit 100” on the season, and if we could get that I would be pretty happy overall with this winter. 

NYC and surrounding areas are calling for straight RN next Wednesday.  That bodes well for us I would think as their thinking this system heads close enough to the coast for both metro's to receive RN including KBOX!  Obviously things can change and probably will, but I'm cautiously optimistic at this time.  I also like our chances for a couple to several inches tonight into tomorrow from straight LES but moisture is lacking so it won't be, what it would be, if ample moisture was available.  I'm good with 2-4" before Sunday - Mondays event. This is the pattern we've been looking for so lets hope it lasts for at least a couple weeks.

Archived