Newest Member
    joxey
January 15-16 Arctic Boundary Event

Kasper

• Replies 699
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, AMZ8990 said:

http://www.pivotalweather.com/model.php?m=nam&p=sn10_acc&rh=2018011412&fh=66&r=us_ov&dpdt=

The Nam through 60 looks decent statewide.  The totals aren't mind blowing, but it lays down 1-3 inches across the whole state..  now I know it's the NAM but it did very well with this last system.

At higher than 10:1 ratio's there would be areas in of the forum especially upper cumberland plateau if the NAM were gospel that would be approaching 6".  I saw a write up by OHX in their overnight discussion that really sets perspective.  

Snip from OHX overnight discussion.

The physical difference in a cold atmosphere between a dusting of
snow and 2 inches of snow is small, making it difficult to
accurately forecast each location`s snowfall with decimal point
precision.

The Euro and NAM are very close to each other on this. The NAM has more qpf than the euro but that's often a NAM thing. It's looking more and more likely that Southern Arkansas, N.Miss, N. Alabama, NW Ga and all points north get at least 1/2 inch of snow, with 1-2 being common and some areas going over 3. That's with my standard of taking 33 percent off the NAM totals.

I agree with John's snow forecast above, nothing to add. Some NWP is trying to give Kentucky a little bit too, which is still 'points north.'

NAM is probably too amped. One can just use its qpf and go 10:1 instead of the more likely 15-20. Euro output seems reasonable/accurate, but with less precision. Euro blanks CHA so probably a perfect prog. Just kidding! 

Many areas may only be a half inch to inch of pixie dust. Get into a band with decent dendrite growth, and 2 inches of fluff is possible. Roads will go quickly.

And really GFS?

Vader_faith.PNG

Might be a tough call on schools Tuesday.  I imagine they'll elect to just close for the day rather than deal with the crap show of having to get the busses moving around in that stuff mid day.  That didn't work out very well last time a few years ago.  Unlike last time, maybe they will actually salt the roads given the amount of advance notice.

I don’t think I’d be inclined to trade positions with the plateau area in this event.  12k shows a nice lollipop over John at 3-4 inches at 10:1 ratio.  TRI’s numbers seem to have stayed consistent in the 18z runs, which kind of surprised me given the overall increases...are we getting downsloped a little?

Little disturbance today actually was able to produce flurries as far SE as Starksville, MS (fairly impressed). Unless something drastically changes on 00z runs, should see WWA start being issued later tonight across the forum area. I40 today was a mess between Little Rock and Memphis with just a dusting of snow due to cold surface temps. Even with the models with the lower moisture, it would be enough to cause problems on area roads.

• Mr Bob changed the title to January 15-16 Arctic Boundary Event
  • Mr Bob pinned this topic
  • Mr Bob unpinned this topic

Archived