remain in place for now with a coating up to an inch of snow
most likely. Farther north and west toward the Blue Ridge and
Catoctin Mountains and points westward...mainly dry conditions
are expected.
(snip)

TERM /SUNDAY THROUGH WEDNESDAY/...
Arctic high pressure will be directly overhead to start the day
Sunday, leading to a very cold morning. This will slide offshore
during the day, allowing for light southerly flow to develop.
850mb temperatures increase markedly during the day (near
-2C), but lack of boundary layer mixing will likely limit
surface temperature response. Have shown highs in the 20s to
around 30F.

The next system will then push eastward Sunday night and Monday
with southwest flow intensifying aloft. This will bring
increased chances for precipitation Monday and Monday night.
While temperature profiles are expected to modify, the low
levels may remain cold enough for mixed precipitation, and with
ground temperatures that will be quite cold leading into the
event, will have to watch for potential ice concerns.

(snip)

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, showmethesnow said:

Looks like the typical band to the west of the cities is setting up again. More of a N/S axis though with DC on the southern portion running up to and beyond Manchester.

I've been staring at that for a while, normally tends to set up in a SW to NE configuration just north of DC proper.  This one appears to want to plant vertical right through DC on upwards.  Will be interesting to see any impact from the band coming down from FDK...perhaps we'll just create a superband and we can all dance with join.

Looking at the low it doesn't look to be taking as hard a right off of OBX as some of the models suggested. Actually looks to be some wobbles now with it like you would see with a tropical system. Seeing all the convection on the north side may be hindering it's eastward movement. Needless to say a farther track north keeps the snow in longer. Still early so lets see where the low goes from here.

6 minutes ago, terpsnation said:

I've been staring at that for a while, normally tends to set up in a SW to NE configuration just north of DC proper.  This one appears to want to plant vertical right through DC on upwards.  Will be interesting to see any impact from the band coming down from FDK...perhaps we'll just create a superband and we can all dance with join.

That band from the west is probably the last Hurrah so the longer it takes to pull east the longer we see snow. The speed of that eastward will depend on where the low goes from here. Low continues on a more northerly component and that will serve to delay that band somewhat.

3 minutes ago, showmethesnow said:

Looking at the low it doesn't look to be taking as hard a right off of OBX as some of the models suggested. Actually looks to be some wobbles now with it like you would see with a tropical system. Seeing all the convection on the north side may be hindering it's eastward movement. Needless to say a farther track north keeps the snow in longer. Still early so lets see where the low goes from here.

It looks like it may be thinking about its move to the right - you can see from the precip caving in in SC from W to E towards the shore.  The low is starting to move away from the coast, so the good returns down there closest to the low are going to probably be the best prognosticators on the radar as to where the low is going and how fast.

Band is forming to my west. I remember looking at some model runs earlier. They clearly showed I'd be IN BETWEEN bands lmao. lol lol lol. Well at least I have some very very very very very very very very very very very light snow.

It was WeatherWxMan back on Page 9. He posted the 18x GFS UVV's, the panels he posted on that page detailed the possibility of I 95 ending up in-between the two big deathbands. 

It has now come to pass. I am in-between the two massive deathbands.

But, congratulations to the big winners in both bands. May they get many inches of snow tonight and end up with strong winds later today blowing snow all over the place in a true deep winter setting. At least I got my car top coating of one eighth of an inch.

Started snowing here at 3am and the intensity has slowly picked up to where are seeing rates approaching 1/2 inch an hour at this point. Temps are now sitting at 19 degrees, down one degree from 20 seen shortly before the snow started. Somewhat brisk breeze out of the N/NE. Total snowfall is roughly half an inch at this time.

3 minutes ago, WxWatcher007 said:

My God. One of the most epic jebwalks I've ever taken. 

My car is encased in ice

The parking lot is ice

Can't get a good measurement because of the wild winds. Easily over 40 in gusts. 

Airport gusting to 45. 

I had to turn back because I almost got knocked off my feet by a gust. This is insane. 

I need to go back out.

CONGRATULATIONS! You deserved it!

Its breezy. The snow rate IS picking up a bit, and I am really praying HARD, I mean I am praying harder than ever before, for these two deathbands to MERGE over me! Please, let this happen! Those north winds are kicking up a LOT at times! Snow is blowing off the roofs! This is very very cool! Please dear lord, please let these two green deathbands MERGE over me while the bands are not moving! Please, just this once!

5 minutes ago, WxWatcher007 said:

Wow. Man I tell you, this wind is LEGIT.

You really need to go back out there, right now, and EXPERIENCE this, on the storm's terms.

Don't hold back at all. Deliberately walk in-between buildings. Seek out that VENTURI EFFECT with the winds! Get blown around! Let the Blizzard have its way with you! This is the only way. You MUST do this. You must get smashed into things just like in a mosh pit. You wanted this storm. You are there, Go for it! You know you want to!

SHWEET VIDEO!!!!!!!

North winds here are gusting over 30 mph! Snow is picking up, and it is not only blowing off the roofs, it is blowing along the sidewalks, roads, it is getting very fun, the depth is near impossible to measure because of drifting! Its dry snow at 23 degrees, some of it has drifted off my back porch and covered up part of my back lawn! 

That green band is forming directly over eastern Prince William!!!!!!

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic

Archived