Most Online
    davisinstruments
    Newest Member
    davisinstruments
mappy

Jan 4th Coastal Obs/Disc

9 minutes ago, yoda said:

Hmmm... thoughts?

From sat/radar low seems to be moving only slightly east of due north. How long that continues is the question. If it turns northeast soon that's about as expected. If it bull rushes an extra 50 miles north to off the VA capes before turning northeast then we have an epic positive bust. 

The way the back edge of precip is hitting a wall reminds me of a storm in late February of 2004 or 05 where the precip was coming up from the southwest and hit a brick wall for a time right around Ji and Leesburg04's hood. It eventually punched through after a few hours and i ended up with about 5" of snow. I think it was February 25th but not sure of the year.  Howard or Matt might remember, though it's really not that important except for those west of the line looking for hope.

Just now, Snowman. said:

Nope. Looks like I’ll get fringed barely. Brutal cutoff. Hope y’all enjoy the snow though.

I appreciate it. I'm in between it seems, so I must be the gradient. I'll probably measure more snow on one side of my yard. Really hope radar caves and bands head out West

6 minutes ago, nw baltimore wx said:

The way the back edge of precip is hitting a wall reminds me of a storm in late February of 2004 or 05 where the precip was coming up from the southwest and hit a brick wall for a time right around Ji and Leesburg04's hood. It eventually punched through after a few hours and i ended up with about 5" of snow. I think it was February 25th but not sure of the year.  Howard or Matt might remember, though it's really not that important except for those west of the line looking for hope.

Or people within a few miles of the line, just a few scant miles EAST of The Line, that are STUCK with pixie dust all night, looking for hope, lol.

With that said, however, I am not greedy, I am only holding out for an inch lmao

1 minute ago, Maestrobjwa said:

Is 4" even in reachable for the I-95 corridor? Lol What would have to happen, track-wise, to get that?

If the low tracks north for 50 miles before tracking northeast. I think. Mets, please set me straight if I'm wrong

3 minutes ago, Cobalt said:

I appreciate it. I'm in between it seems, so I must be the gradient. I'll probably measure more snow on one side of my yard. Really hope radar caves and bands head out West

There's going to be a pivot as the low moves north. Radar will likely fill in over the next hour and then everything will rotate through. I think the euro might be overdone too but then again it's only dropping .2 or so between now and 7am. That's not exactly hot and heavy either way

26/19 and radar looks like it wants to punch the precip into area, but accuweather keeps pushing start time back.  It started at 6 min and is now at 114 minutes. Looked like the Euro was smoking the same stuff as Roger Smith.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Bob Chill said:

There's going to be a pivot as the low moves north. Radar will likely fill in over the next hour and then everything will rotate through. I think the euro might be overdone too but then again it's only dropping .2 or so between now and 7am. That's not exactly hot and heavy either way

Looking at that radar that cae provided, looks like that dark green line is moving NW. How far it will get? Maybe SE DC, but we should get in on the band methinks. 

2 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

Radar is slowly starting to fill in to the northwest of 95. There's an area of mid-level frontogenesis just west of 95 right now according to meso, so we should see things close up over the next few hours. I honestly think the Euro is being too aggressive with it's precip depiction, but I'll take half of that just to see some snow fall. Stuck in a brutal hole in northern MoCo.

It's filling in nicely here in Richmond. I used to live in Charlotte NC and remember the agonizing over the dry spots that inevitably formed so we never got much. Not so here :) Fist pic I took vs just now

rsz_20180104_001556.jpg

rsz_20180104_012938.jpg

rsz_20180104_012942.jpg

• Like 1

Just now, PWC Split said:

Not sure what people are talking about with precip filling in to the NW.  precip has collapsed east of 95 in NOVA.  Living on the fringe sucks.

The dry air has continually pushed east starting basically an hour and a half ago. Everybody mocked me for pointing it out, but now snow is about to shut off for most of NOVA.

• Haha 1