Newest Member
    joxey
Upstate/Eastern New York

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, BuffaloWeather said:

Agree, it's actually a good ice setup. 

Any analogs to pull? ROC had 2 major ice storms (March 3, 1991 & April 4, 2003) and the ana frontal/wave big snow event on March 4, 1998. Would be interesting to see the potential similarities.

Optimally, one could compare the surface, mid, and upper air features as well as existing teleconnector states at the time.

We just aren’t in a great spot for synoptic systems lol In 3 years of living here we have yet to cash in on these type of events. Most storms seems to cut west of the apps or off the coast, not much in between..I much rather take my chances at a coastal storm with some blocking, at least we could cash in on the backside..

3 minutes ago, WesterlyWx said:

This is why you never want to be in the bullseye 100 hours out. 60 hours and in your good. Definitely going to be close so we’ll see but I think Detroit to just north of Toronto jackpot. We primarily mix and rain. 

I honestly believe with A) a mostly frozen lake Erie, B) a healthy snow pack (yes it will take a hit) and C) overall cold air very nearby, that rain will be the least possible outcome for most of WNY. More likely is freezing rain and sleet to snow or quick changeover to snow with heavy accums.

2 minutes ago, coh said:

Give me that over an inch and a half of freezing rain any day. The UK maps look pretty scary for far western NY.

Why do you want an ice storm? Lol. If some of those solutions verified we’d be talking wide spread devistation with over 1” of ice. Give me a foot of snow or give me some tropical downpours. Sure it’s cool to look at but when your without power for 5 days and have to foot a bill to clean up trees on your property or spend days out with a chainsaw I think I’ll pass lol. 

2 minutes ago, WesterlyWx said:

Why do you want an ice storm? Lol. If some of those solutions verified we’d be talking wide spread devistation with over 1” of ice. Give me a foot of snow or give me some tropical downpours. Sure it’s cool to look at but when your without power for 5 days and have to foot a bill to clean up trees on your property or spend days out with a chainsaw I think I’ll pass lol. 

Um, you misread my comment completely. I meant give me a far enough west track to give us rain, NOT an inch and a half of ice.

2 minutes ago, WesterlyWx said:

I think you misread his sentence.  He said give me rain OVER an inch and half of freezing rain anyday.

Archived