joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January 2018 Discussion

Hoosier

• Replies 299
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Been really foggy here as well.  Temp 42 right now with dense fog, but the warm front is heading this way.  MLI has recently jumped up to 50 and their vis has improved up to a mile.  HRRR looks like it's struggling with reflectivity based on what the radar looks like.  Kind of looks like the heaviest rains will split around us.

Only 0.08" so far with the majority of the heavy rains looking to slip off to the east the rest of the night.  Looks like another event well under a half inch.  Hopefully we can make it to the 1/4" threshold before the dry slot moves in.  Hopefully we can nab a 0.5"+ QPF event sometime in Feb or March.

2 minutes ago, cyclone77 said:

Picked up 0.31" overnight/early this morning.  MLI picked up just 0.21", and DVN 0.10" lol.  So much for a wet system.  :(

Did better than that here but the heaviest stuff seems like it went between us in northern IL.  We'll see what this arc of rain/storms does later.

Its been a white winter, but as we now enter the dead of winter, the snow depth has gone down to 0. Since December 6th, the only days that started with no snow on the ground at the 7am obs were Dec 21, 22, 23, & Jan 12. Unfortunately this one appears to last for at least a little bit. Winters return, be it cold clippers or whatever, cant come soon enough for me!

2 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

Did better than that here but the heaviest stuff seems like it went between us in northern IL.  We'll see what this arc of rain/storms does later.

Last 12hrs worth of precip.  Southeast Iowa really got screwed lol.  BTW the warm front is FINALLY moving through here now.  Dense fog a short while ago and the temp has jumped a few degrees to 43.  Should be in the mid 50s with sun and building cumulus in the next hour or so.

154y4jl.jpg

49 minutes ago, cyclone77 said:

Last 12hrs worth of precip.  Southeast Iowa really got screwed lol.  BTW the warm front is FINALLY moving through here now.  Dense fog a short while ago and the temp has jumped a few degrees to 43.  Should be in the mid 50s with sun and building cumulus in the next hour or so.

A couple of the meso models late last evening began hinting at a screw zone up through se and ec Iowa, and that certainly panned out.  Fortunately, I was just far enough west to get some thundershowers with brief heavy downpours.  I finished with 0.60" of rain.  Parts of southeast Iowa will get through this entire big storm with ZERO precip... unreal!

As the radar estimate shows, the heaviest stuff passed west of me.  The Cedar Falls high school weather station received 2.24".

It is also beginning to warm here.  The warm sector will shrink away to the east as it lifts north, but I'm hoping we can briefly touch 50.  It's in the low 50s in Iowa City.

1 hour ago, hawkeye_wx said:

A couple of the meso models late last evening began hinting at a screw zone up through se and ec Iowa, and that certainly panned out.  Fortunately, I was just far enough west to get some thundershowers with brief heavy downpours.  I finished with 0.60" of rain.  Parts of southeast Iowa will get through this entire big storm with ZERO precip... unreal!

As the radar estimate shows, the heaviest stuff passed west of me.  The Cedar Falls high school weather station received 2.24".

It is also beginning to warm here.  The warm sector will shrink away to the east as it lifts north, but I'm hoping we can briefly touch 50.  It's in the low 50s in Iowa City.

Yeah the models showed that dry stretch pretty nicely.  

Up to 57/50.  Cumulus field is overhead and trying to mature.  Dry line just about here.  Euro shows the precip tonight swirling perfectly all around the DVN area, so looks like a T at best the rest of the way.   

36 minutes ago, weatherbo said:

Hi everyone, checkin' in.  Mid-Winter up in the UP. Snow getting deep.  5-6' drifts on the roof.  House is 16" on center so not too worried.  Could see some impressive depths with the pattern setting up in Feb. :)

IMG_4110.thumb.JPG.bdb41381e3eb4ff445ae81a0b6a5cc5e.JPG

IMG_4113.thumb.JPG.0599e0ea88b1144dd1d82a5774af6e87.JPG

Yay glad to hear from you! I may come right back up there in Feb. We had a white winter up to this point but now it's bare. Not just here but no good snow conditions in lower MI right now. I didnt realize it was that good up there. Whats the depth?

3 hours ago, michsnowfreak said:

Yay glad to hear from you! I may come right back up there in Feb. We had a white winter up to this point but now it's bare. Not just here but no good snow conditions in lower MI right now. I didnt realize it was that good up there. Whats the depth?

I have 30-33” in my usual measuring spots.    A very dense packed powder base on the ground. On an average winter, I’ll reach 4’- 4 1/2’ depth like ‘14-‘15  when it reached 52" in March. 

Some flurries this morning. But sigh. This is day 3 with bare ground. Looks like after only 3.5 days from Dec 7 - Jan 22 had bare ground we will now have it for at least 10 days. Hopefully the pattern turnaround hits on schedule and hits everyone with snow.

Omg, bare ground. The horror.

Archived