• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
NNE Winter Thread

dryslot

7" on the deck this morning.  I, of course said "No need to snowblow right now.  I'll do it when I get home this evening"  45 minutes later I finally got out of my driveway.  I can generally do 8" of dry powder but this stuff packed down to ice as soon as you stepped on it.  Got the snowblower out and still spun quite a bit until I scraped the last of the sand and salt in the bucket and threw it down.  I figured that this was the last year for these snow tires and this confirmed it.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, backedgeapproaching said:

17.3" don't expect much more than that

Real nice event for here for this spot, if that deform band was just 20 miles northwest would have been probably 30"

Awesome!  Definitely a great event down there! 

Here’s the north to south listing of available snowfall totals from the Vermont ski areas for Winter Storm Quinn thus far:

Jay Peak: 5”

Burke: 8”

Smuggler’s Notch: 5”

Stowe: 8”

Bolton Valley: 5”

Mad River Glen: 8”

Sugarbush: 8”

Middlebury: 5”

Suicide Six: 14”

Pico: 13”

Killington: 13”

Okemo: 16”

Bromley: 22”

Magic Mountain: 30”

Stratton: 29”

Mount Snow: 27”

The trend for storm totals with Winter Storm Quinn is clearly increasing as one heads south, with a general 5-8” up north, and around a foot in the central part of the state.  Snow totals simply explode in the south though, with a general 2+ feet reported.

On 3/6/2018 at 1:40 PM, Hitman said:

agreed but not because I dont think central/northern vt won't see good snow, its just that the southern areas have a better base from last weeks snow.  I'm not heading up to sugarbush for this event, although I'm hoping this lays a foundation for the rest of the season.  Say a half inch qpf from the synoptic part of the storm plus a little something on the backend.

Thanks Hitman and pf. At Stratton. Only problem is that it isn't steep enough for all the snow!

As of this morning’s update for Winter Storm Quinn in the BTV NWS area, Winter Storm Warnings remain in effect for Vermont aside from the Champlain Valley, where Winter Weather Advisories are in place.  The projected accumulations map suggests another 4-6” in some of the mountainous areas up north with some pockets of 6-8” to the northeast.

08MAR18A.jpg

08MAR18B.jpg

43 minutes ago, klw said:

Does this have eventual upslope potential for PF and BTV folks or will the low be in the wrong spot?

Its in the wrong spot and wind fields are very light.  Need a bit more wind for better forced ascent.

Watch Saturday night.  That looks like the upslope night as another piece of energy rotates through with some brief deeper moisture profiles.  I could see us getting 3-6" from that.

1 hour ago, powderfreak said:

Burlington bust, lol.  Seems to be falling into their forecast range.  Looks better than I would've expected.  BTV was never getting 12"+, IMO.

I know, I was half joking when I wrote that. We are back to the depth we had this morning which means we picked up and additional 2" or so. 6" has fallen but there is 4" or so on the ground.

Event totals: 8.1” Snow/0.72” L.E.

Details from the 5:00 P.M. Waterbury observations:

New Snow: 3.6 inches

New Liquid: 0.28 inches

Snow/Water Ratio: 12.9

Snow Density: 7.8% H2O

Temperature: 29.5 F

Sky: Light Snow (1-2 mm flakes)

Snow at the stake: 12.5 inches

Snowfall was fairly light with just small flakes when I took observations at 5:00 P.M., but as we drove back from a meeting at Harwood in Duxbury, the snowfall intensity and flake size just increased all the way home.  The flakes have that feeling of the back side of a storm, and it actually does look like the flow is starting to shift on the radar:

08MAR18A.gif

I think we are closing in on the 1 foot mark. I measured 7” on my back deck this morning and when I got home it looked like about 4”-5” had fallen during the day and it’s still coming down. I vow that next year I will make an attempt at more serious measurements. Which will probably hold until the first time I have to go out in a pelting sleet, freezing rain mix. 

Archived