Jump to content
  • Welcome to American Weather

    Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

dryslot

NNE Winter Thread

Recommended Posts

14 hours ago, Hitman said:

Ended up getting the salomon qst pro 130.  Fingers crossed.  Test drive tomorrow.  

I wear the Salomon X-Pro 130... love them.  Need the stiffness of 130.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I took the drone into Huntington Gorge. It was a risky flight in tight quarters but a successful one:
39116338444_dc95b33915_k.jpg

24955670017_50ecd98a13_k.jpg

24955660067_549c6fdddf_k.jpg

24955597577_f00ab30ef8_k.jpg

38926860285_106c76232d_k.jpg

39793887672_cc9e2abdf1_k.jpg

And from the ground a huge frozen waterfall from floodwaters in Middlesex, VT pouring into the Winooski River:
24955542627_68d72d059a_k.jpg

24955543687_baa1546e0e_b.jpg

24955530107_85e6d1a753_k.jpg

 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, powderfreak said:

I wear the Salomon X-Pro 130... love them.  Need the stiffness of 130.

All is well with the boots. No issues. They are really light.  Need new skis too but that will wait till the off season.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The next major system coming into the area is called Winter Storm Jaxon, and I got an alert on my phone this afternoon about Winter Weather Advisories being posted in association with this event.  There isn’t too much snow expected, but I assume in combination with the potential for ice it hit the threshold for an advisory.  Advisory and projected snowfall accumulations maps from the BTV NWS are below:

 

21JAN18A.jpg

 

21JAN18B.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, J.Spin said:

The next major system coming into the area is called Winter Storm Jaxon, and I got an alert on my phone this afternoon about Winter Weather Advisories being posted in association with this event.  There isn’t too much snow expected, but I assume in combination with the potential for ice it hit the threshold for an advisory.  Advisory and projected snowfall accumulations maps from the BTV NWS are below:

 

21JAN18A.jpg

 

21JAN18B.jpg

Yea, it's the icing they are concerned about. Could make tomorrow AM really really bad in spots. 

They are again not too worried about hyrdo issues with the rain on Tuesday. More so this time than last, but still pretty quiet on it. I dunno, WRF has plenty falling on the slopes of the greens which could easily trigger some additional flooding down stream. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I cored our snowpack for today’s CoCoRaHS report ahead of upcoming Winter Storm Jaxon, so as time permits I’ll be able to get a sense for total SWE in the snow before and after the storm.  It also happens to be good timing for Total SWE Monday.  As far as today’s results go, there’s 2.63” of liquid in the snowpack right now, which is actually right about where it was (2.64” of liquid) at the end of Winter Storm Hunter a little over a week ago.

 

The NOHRSC modeling for snowpack SWE at our site is running a bit low compared to the actual numbers, but it does show an initial bump in SWE with this system.  The modeling doesn’t go far enough out to see how things go throughout the full system, but that should be interesting to monitor going forward.

 

22JAN18A.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Crudfest 2018. It was due I guess LOL. We punt the remainder of January. Hopefully there will be some good upslope opportunities for ski areas to recover some natural snow.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, eyewall said:

Crudfest 2018. It was due I guess LOL. We punt the remainder of January. Hopefully there will be some good upslope opportunities for ski areas to recover some natural snow.

I remember those years of epic upslope for NNE, for a few years it seemed like the norm.  I remember that early season upslope dump of heavy wet snow (last year?) but the frequency has seemed to decrease from a few years ago even with the cold we had this year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, qg_omega said:

I remember those years of epic upslope for NNE, for a few years it seemed like the norm.  I remember that early season upslope dump of heavy wet snow (last year?) but the frequency has seemed to decrease from a few years ago even with the cold we had this year.

This year we've done decently well, had that surprise 12" overnight in December from a forecast of less than 1".  There was another one I can't remember the date where we got bombed by some squalls with like 8"/4 hours.

Last year was a huge upslope year... not sure what you mean those "epic" years.  There was a break from 2014-2016 with fewer events it seemed but last winter was ridiculous. 

I mean it literally snowed every day for like 3 weeks (108" in 22 days) from upslope in the middle of last winter.  There were some biggies in December, then just a steady diet of "oh, it did it again another 5 inches" middle of the winter and then had a couple biggies later in the season.  Heck even Stella's 52" total was over half from upslope.

We were still getting it in April.  I thought last year rivaled 2010-11 for upslope events.

This was a heavy like 1-1.5" QPF upslope event of 13" of dense snow and graupel on April 8th.

IMG_5477.JPG.d4a33b971b1677d63a7be9634b6d123c.JPG

April8_2017.jpg.0b75b459e6eca671cd5b79c39b516d0a.jpg

2L8A1344compressed.thumb.jpg.fda1e08891a8bd0aef0dc07c2e92cbcb.jpg

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, powderfreak said:

This year we've done decently well, had that surprise 12" overnight in December from a forecast of less than 1".  There was another one I can't remember the date where we got bombed by some squalls with like 8"/4 hours.

Last year was a huge upslope year... not sure what you mean those "epic" years.  There was a break from 2014-2016 with fewer events it seemed but last winter was ridiculous. 

I mean it literally snowed every day for like 3 weeks (108" in 22 days) from upslope in the middle of last winter.  There were some biggies in December, then just a steady diet of "oh, it did it again another 5 inches" middle of the winter and then had a couple biggies later in the season.  Heck even Stella's 52" total was over half from upslope.

We were still getting it in April.  I thought last year rivaled 2010-11 for upslope events.

This was a heavy like 1-1.5" QPF upslope event of 13" of dense snow and graupel on April 8th.

IMG_5477.JPG.d4a33b971b1677d63a7be9634b6d123c.JPG

April8_2017.jpg.0b75b459e6eca671cd5b79c39b516d0a.jpg

2L8A1344compressed.thumb.jpg.fda1e08891a8bd0aef0dc07c2e92cbcb.jpg

 

This year has been awesome for "upslope" snow- I'd say like 75% of Stowe's snow has been due to passing weak waves that make less than a flake in BTV, .75" in Stowe Village and 5" on Mansfield above 2500" -- I can recall at least two events when it snowed like 7-10" when the forecast was for 1"...that's the upslope magic. 

 

Last years first 22 days of Feb were just absurd. Not just that it snowed a lot but the snow was just pure air. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Snow seemed to start falling in the Burlington area around 3:00 P.M. or so, and it seemed like there were granular flakes in there right from the start.  There were larger flakes as well, but by roughly 5:00 P.M. there wasn’t any visible snow and the precipitation seemed to be a mixture of freezing rain and sleet.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It is nasty here in Winooski with ZR. The roads are a mess to be sure. We had snow with a period of sleet and freezing rain and now it is all ZR.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Event totals: 0.3” Snow/0.06” L.E.

 

Although non-frozen precipitation had already started falling in Burlington by the time I’d left this afternoon, in typical fashion, east of the spine the precipitation was still a mixture of snow and sleet.  That’s generally what I’ve seen thus far this evening.

 

Details from the 6:00 P.M. Waterbury observations:

 

New Snow: 0.3 inches

New Liquid: 0.06 inches

Snow/Water Ratio: 5.0

Snow Density: 20.0% H2O

Temperature: 32.4 F

Sky: Snow/Sleet

Snow at the stake: 9.0 inches

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Everything had at least .1" of ice last night when I left work ... and it was raining pretty hard on my car for the drive home. At 25F.  Perfect.  Looks like temps in the CPV have risen with BTV now at 36.  Gonna need that to come up quite a bit to melt this ice.  

Pretty interesting to see possible thunder in central VT and points south. 

I'm really unsure about that back-side mountain snow for tonight.  NWS is calling for 1-3" across the higher terrain but I'm always skeptical when it is a cold front set-up like this. Just never have the right snow-growth temps and wind until the very tail end when most of the moisture is gone.  My gut says there might be two inches of windblown junk on top of a quickly freezing block of ice. 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Event totals: 0.5” Snow/0.10” L.E.

 

Details from the 6:00 A.M. Waterbury observations:

 

New Snow: 0.2 inches

New Liquid: 0.04 inches

Snow/Water Ratio: 5.0

Snow Density: 20.0% H2O

Temperature: 34.0 F

Sky: Cloudy

Snow at the stake: 9.0 inches

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, adk said:

Everything had at least .1" of ice last night when I left work ... and it was raining pretty hard on my car for the drive home. At 25F.  Perfect.  Looks like temps in the CPV have risen with BTV now at 36.  Gonna need that to come up quite a bit to melt this ice.  

Pretty interesting to see possible thunder in central VT and points south. 

I'm really unsure about that back-side mountain snow for tonight.  NWS is calling for 1-3" across the higher terrain but I'm always skeptical when it is a cold front set-up like this. Just never have the right snow-growth temps and wind until the very tail end when most of the moisture is gone.  My gut says there might be two inches of windblown junk on top of a quickly freezing block of ice. 

 

Yeah we basically have crap until February at this point.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Had 2.2" of 7:1 rime-y snow overnight, ZR since sunrise (maybe some IP - it was upper teens as I left for work.)   Augusta reporting ZR and 22° at 10 AM.  We'll see what happens when that big slug of precip arrives from NH. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

32F with heavy freezing rain continuing at 1,500ft base of Mansfield.

Summit has risen into the upper 30s there but still wedged from 2,500-1,500ft.

34F down here at home with just rain. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Augusta up to 26 at noon with what looks like moderate rain, at most 0.2" accretion.  That's a 5° rise in the past hour - latent heat release at work. 

Edit:  Just heard that it's mainly IP at home, though the temp there has risen to mid-20s.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×