SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
December 2017 Mid-Long Range Disco 2

WxUSAF

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Anyone upset about tonight's 00z GFS IMO shouldn't be. We got the cold there, now all we need is the s/w out west to trend stronger as it progresses East. It is almost a X-mas miracle in itself that we were able to get the cold entrenched in the first place. I am actually in awe at how much it has trended. 

Well those who wanted cold and dry for Christmas should be happy.
I dunno....the gfs op could be right.....it could be on to something. Who knows? Not surprisingly the gefs took the side of the more progressive NS at 18z. However, the EPS and especially the GEPS have different thoughts. I will hold judgment on ops runs irt to Christmas threat until tomorrow afternoon/night at earliest. Too many important changes on ops in medium range this season already...EPS has been most consistent with this system imo.

1 minute ago, ATreglown said:

No cigar here in PG, VA  :(

yeah i know, but at 90 hrs out, it still isnt outside the realm of possibilities.  We cant wish/will storms to happen, but the trends have been rather consistant, and without the SE ridge to body block to cold....just something to ponder.

Man, at this point I could care less what this X-mas thing does if the models are sniffing out any idea on the pattern afterward. They are almost all showing an epic battle between historic HP and a juiced STJ...I'll be just as happy x-mas morning if it is cold and dry but I'm waiting for the 12z GFS run to show 2 feet for all of us day 4 ;)

1 minute ago, Wentzadelphia said:

Man, at this point I could care less what this X-mas thing does if the models are sniffing out any idea on the pattern afterward. They are almost all showing an epic battle between historic HP and a juiced STJ...I'll be just as happy x-mas morning if it is cold and dry but I'm waiting for the 12z GFS run to show 2 feet for all of us day 4 ;)

Maybe an ice storm. 

You gotta love that look on the GFS @ 180 hrs. The STJ is starting to warm up @ 183 hours now, so much cold air and HP across the country to work with.

Once in every few years of so you get a pattern, such as 2009-10, where the pattern is so good it almost can't fail. I don't want to jinx anything, but there is so much HP and cold air to work with I am as close to I ever could be in locking in some kind of major winter storm across the CONUS for the 28-31st. 

1 minute ago, Bob Chill said:

Canadian would be a massive storm. It's just starting to jump the coast after dumping with the overrunning. 1044hp feeding in. The ccb would be sick in the setup. 

24 hours of light-moderate precip, temps in the teens, insane CAD. Wish Canadian went over 240 hours

Hey Bob, touching back on something you mentioned earlier today comparing the future setup on the EURO to PDII...The 00z GFS tonight looks very similar @H5 so far @ 204 hours....Verbatim I could see a ton of overrunning moisture head NE while a wave or 2 from the Northern Jet reinforced the cold before the main shortwave comes out of the West. GFS tonight is showing something like that happening maybe. You can see that huge cold dome of confluence draped across the US/Canadian border. Obviously there will be shortwaves embedded in that flow which could help reinforce cold/HP before everything comes out from the SW of the country. 

• WxUSAF unpinned and locked this topic

Archived