Newest Member
    joxey
Pittsburgh PA ❄️ Winter 2017-2018

north pgh

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
17 hours ago, MikeB_01 said:

Interesting battle coming up for the week of christmas. NAO vs EPO. Whichever one proves to show its dominance will have a profound impact on our weather that week.

Going to be an interesting week for tracking that's for sure. Right now the path to victory looks pretty narrow though, as in the area that gets big snows won't be as widespread. Of course that could change, especially if we see several waves riding up the boundary as it presses to the SE.

3 hours ago, olafminesaw said:

Pretty strong cold signal

eps_t2m_anom_noram_264.png

Return to cold looks pretty solid right now, hopefully it holds and sticks around for awhile so we get a few chances to roll the dice. Feeling 60/40 for the odds of the cold getting here to save Christmas from the Grinch, we do a lot of local traveling so wouldn't be devastated if a bigger storm is pushed back a day, but I was really thinking we had a solid chance for once at a white Christmas. I think that convection refining in phase 6 for the MJO (reason we see the loop de loop on the RMM plots) is probably delaying the cold.

2 hours ago, RitualOfTheTrout said:

Return to cold looks pretty solid right now, hopefully it holds and sticks around for awhile so we get a few chances to roll the dice. Feeling 60/40 for the odds of the cold getting here to save Christmas from the Grinch, we do a lot of local traveling so wouldn't be devastated if a bigger storm is pushed back a day, but I was really thinking we had a solid chance for once at a white Christmas. I think that convection refining in phase 6 for the MJO (reason we see the loop de loop on the RMM plots) is probably delaying the cold.

Right now the GFS brings the cold in earlier for what could be a white Christmas. The Canadian holds up and gives us a wet one. Let's lean on the GFS and get the cold here next weekend.

52 minutes ago, olafminesaw said:

Merry Christmas

ecmwf_t2m_ne_198.png

Heh... Can't say I'm surprised. Models are starting to lean more towards the warmer side and slowing down the arrival of the cold. Other thing to keep in mind is that the drivers of this setup are starting to get into the medium range were model skill starts increasing significantly. Still time though, 65 in Pittsburgh and 35 in Columbus, wouldn't take much change for a much different outcome. Until then Christmas is turning into labor day with picnics,  burgers and dogs on the grill. 

25 minutes ago, RitualOfTheTrout said:

Heh... Can't say I'm surprised. Models are starting to lean more towards the warmer side and slowing down the arrival of the cold. Other thing to keep in mind is that the drivers of this setup are starting to get into the medium range were model skill starts increasing significantly. Still time though, 65 in Pittsburgh and 35 in Columbus, wouldn't take much change for a much different outcome. Until then Christmas is turning into labor day with picnics,  burgers and dogs on the grill. 

A week plus is about the same accuracy as using climo, particularly as we should be near the boundary. I'm guessing 50-100 mile shifts in weather feature are average in that time frame. My guess is highs in the mid 40s with cold air not far behind. As long as I can get a 3"+ event before I go back too school in the second week in January, I will be content (I got back yesterday, rather unfortunate timing I suppose)

Before I draw nearer to that model output to which you point, answer me one question. Are these the shadows of the things that Will be, or are they shadows of things that May be, only? A weather patterns courses will foreshadow certain ends, to which, if persevered in, they must lead, but if the courses be departed from, the ends will change. Say it is thus with what you show me!  Think the SE Ridge needs a visit from the 3 spirits lol :lol:

xmas.thumb.jpg.e80af29b25a5e7a0f9bf8b8831aa5280.jpg

18 hours ago, RitualOfTheTrout said:

Before I draw nearer to that model output to which you point, answer me one question. Are these the shadows of the things that Will be, or are they shadows of things that May be, only? A weather patterns courses will foreshadow certain ends, to which, if persevered in, they must lead, but if the courses be departed from, the ends will change. Say it is thus with what you show me!  Think the SE Ridge needs a visit from the 3 spirits lol :lol:

lol 

I like whatever the GFS is smoking. Cold air bleeding in by Christmas eve, stalling out by Christmas with a plume of gulf moisture riding up it. Moderate snow, without being a concern for those traveling in the immediate area, but right on the gradient, so could go either way. I haven't seen that set up enough times to know if it plausible (usually the cold was too slow too arrive back when I lived in the DC area)

Archived