joxey
Pittsburgh PA ❄️ Winter 2017-2018

north pgh

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, CoraopolisWx said:

January 2016. FTL. 

Yeah, I just threw up in my mouth a little after seeing this... almost a carbon copy in terms of snow distribution... :wacko: I know its still got some time to tick north, or have a completely different setup, but its astonishing how many storms have taken a track like this in the last 5-7 years. I'd need my memory erased if this verified, or maybe some Ramones...132 hours to go... I wanna be sedated.image.thumb.png.846b57992aaa05d6c0c7f9483027807c.png

48 minutes ago, olafminesaw said:

Of course it wouldn't be that sharp of a cutoff...

No reason it wouldn't be that sharp, we have seen it many time before. You might want to go back to school a bit early so as to not miss out. It doesn't help I feel a bit of urgency cause it looks like the pattern is going to break down after first week of Jan. This won't be the final evolution but that doesn't guarantee us any better outcome.

7 hours ago, RitualOfTheTrout said:

No reason it wouldn't be that sharp, we have seen it many time before. You might want to go back to school a bit early so as to not miss out. It doesn't help I feel a bit of urgency cause it looks like the pattern is going to break down after first week of Jan. This won't be the final evolution but that doesn't guarantee us any better outcome.

Well you see, Newport News is consistently on the other side of the screw job with these kinds of storms. 2016 was 2" of snow, and some sleet followed by rain followed by 1" of snow. I have gotten a couple bigger storms at least there, unlike my past two winters living here.

49 minutes ago, olafminesaw said:

Well you see, Newport News is consistently on the other side of the screw job with these kinds of storms. 2016 was 2" of snow, and some sleet followed by rain followed by 1" of snow. I have gotten a couple bigger storms at least there, unlike my past two winters living here.

Yeah, I just looked at a map, didn't realize you were actually a little further South than Richmond, for some reason i was thinking you were further up the coast. I can imagine that area is probably frequently on the southern fringe of the bigger storms, or you get the mid levels screwed up due to proximity to the ocean. Maybe split the difference and grab a hotel in between. :lol:

Edit: Just saw this.... NewPort News Bullseye? lol Luckily this won't verify but just thought it was ironic given the discussion.

image.png.750f14154599d31f9d550a3c4a93484e.png

7 hours ago, blackngoldrules said:

I accepted this a long time ago. lol Having low expectations makes all the disappointments more bearable.

For the most part I accept our climo. Missing out on a big storm by 30-50 miles though is brutal, especially when people within your own sub forum report triple the snow totals, or the place you work is a 26 mile drive but is closed for the day due to snow and you can clean your sidewalk off with a broom and your child doesn't even have a delay. There have been at least 3-4 storms like that over the past 5-6 years.

The blizzard last year I think I managed around 5 inches, and had I not known what was happening a few miles away I would have been happy with that. I guess that's one downfall to all this connectivity and information at our fingertips. When I was a kid you were happy with what fell, and only saw what other areas got when Joe Denardo's 6pm weather segment came on and he had the map with area totals.

Archived