joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Pittsburgh PA ❄️ Winter 2017-2018

north pgh

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I just saw there was a lightning strike on radar in monroeville. Maybe meatwad heard it. Well I have to get some sleep. It looks like some more lesser bands are developing in Ohio. Maybe I can get 2 inches by morning. Merry Christmas and those of us that dreamed for one this year got it. Now here's hoping we can get a 12+ snowstorm in Jan or feb. :snowwindow:

6 minutes ago, north pgh said:

I just saw there was a lightning strike on radar in monroeville. Maybe meatwad heard it. Well I have to get some sleep. It looks like some more lesser bands are developing in Ohio. Maybe I can get 2 inches by morning. Merry Christmas and those of us that dreamed for one this year got it. Now here's hoping we can get a 12+ snowstorm in Jan or feb. :snowwindow:

Well, I'm glad some of you other guys got lucky tonight. I haven't so far. I got a quick dusting from the second band. I know you guys said we don't need an inch for a White Christmas, but I think we need more than a very light dusting. lol I'm hoping the next one about to come through gives me something decent. 

6 minutes ago, blackngoldrules said:

Well, I'm glad some of you other guys got lucky tonight. I haven't so far. I got a quick dusting from the second band. I know you guys said we don't need an inch for a White Christmas, but I think we need more than a very light dusting. lol I'm hoping the next one about to come through gives me something decent. 

You might be in decent shape with the next wave of snow showers.

The orientation is more E-W, for what looks like periods of moderate snow.

I think everyone in the metro ends up with at least 1".

30 minutes ago, CoraopolisWx said:

You might be in decent shape with the next wave of snow showers.

The orientation is more E-W, for what looks like periods of moderate snow.

I think everyone in the metro ends up with at least 1".

It's not looking like it for me. I'm in Bethel Park but near the border of Washington County. I've seen a couple of quick moderate snow showers move through and that's about it. Even most of what's moving through now is just staying to my north. I doubt I'm getting an inch tonight. I have a coating now between the two snow showers I've gotten. I'm just in a really bad spot tonight. I've been seeing more of the holes in between the snow showers. I call it the Bethel Park snow hole. lol

2 minutes ago, blackngoldrules said:

It's not looking like it for me. I'm in Bethel Park but near the border of Washington County. I've seen a couple of quick moderate snow showers move through and that's about it. Even most of what's moving through now is just staying to my north. I doubt I'm getting an inch tonight. I have a coating now between the two snow showers I've gotten. I'm just in a really bad spot tonight. I've been seeing more of the holes in between the snow showers. I call it the Bethel Park snow hole. lol Maybe I have a half inch out there after

Yeah, you're probably right. Looks like you get grazed just to the north.

That kinda sucks.

Still up at this very late hour. Looks like I have another shot at some snow moving through. Maybe I'll be near an inch if I'm lucky. Looks like the North Hills is the sweet spot for this one. Someone may end up with a few inches or more in one of those areas. Moderate to heavy snow continues to train through those areas as I type this.

3 hours ago, MikeB_01 said:

Merry Christmas to all on here. With an official 1.6 in at the airport, it is a white one. Safe travels to all who have to. Here’s to a new year of tracking snowstorms. May there be a monster lurking for us..

Hard to tell with the wind, but probably a half inch, maybe a little more. It was enough to whiten the ground and there has been flurries on and off all morning so I'm counting it as a victory. Fell asleep so not sure what the bands did or if I missed out. 

4 hours ago, olafminesaw said:

Better than getting fringed like I was thinking would happen before. I don't take cold storms for granted after living in Virginia my whole life.

Right now it's a pure Northern stream deal, previous runs that fringed us had some phasing with the southern stream. If it stays northern stream only our risk is either it not digging enough and we miss to the north or it gets shredded. 

Interesting record for Erie and PA:

From NWS Service Cleveland......Erie, PA picked up 19" of new snow from midnight to 6 AM. This brings the storm total to 53" over the past 30 hours, shattering many records. This is the greatest 2-day total in the entire state of PA (prev. record 44" in Morgantown, PA 3/20-21/1958).

We were up as far as I-79 and I-80 last night and they have just as much snow as we do here.  Must be confined to close to Lake Erie.

I’m new to this forum, and weather forecasting in general. Can any of you tell me what the difference is between all of these models?

Also, I usually check the weather channel or accuweather for the forecast but I’ve noticed tremendous discrepancies between the two. Which is more reliable?

Thank you for your help and here’s to a new year filled with happiness and snow!

44 minutes ago, BigO60 said:

I’m new to this forum, and weather forecasting in general. Can any of you tell me what the difference is between all of these models?

Also, I usually check the weather channel or accuweather for the forecast but I’ve noticed tremendous discrepancies between the two. Which is more reliable?

Thank you for your help and here’s to a new year filled with happiness and snow!

Welcome!

The models are funded from various agencies around the world. They all take data inputs from around the globe and run the information through advanced equations in an attempt to model the atmosphere. We don't have anywhere near 100% data input, the equations aren't perfectly accurate, and other variables like effects from space can quickly cause a change in the state of the atmosphere at any given time, so the further you get out in time the more these imperfections get magnified. A much more details explanation can be found here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Numerical_weather_prediction

Generally the ECMWF gets the highest verification scores, but it has limited free access, although recently weather.us started providing quite a few products from this model for free. GFS in run by NCEP and is typically the second best model but all products are available for free.The CMC is run by Envormental Canada. The UKMET is run out of the UK, but getting output can be tricky as its not widely available. Generally you want to see some consensus between models to give higher confidence in a forecast.

As for Weather Channel vs AccuWeather, I'm not sure which is better, to some degree they are both going to sue automated processes to generate forecasts. I honestly read the NWS discussion and if I am feeling lazy, just tune into a local news website or weather segment.

1 hour ago, Mailman said:

Have a light dusting on everything.  A pleasant surprise (guess I should've read the AFDs earlier today).

I wondered if you were going to see some flakes from that little wave.  Most of the Christmas snow around here has sublimated away so hoping we can get a couple of inches before the next arctic blast. 

Archived