Newest Member
    joxey
Pittsburgh PA ❄️ Winter 2017-2018

north pgh

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
25 minutes ago, RitualOfTheTrout said:

Pretty to look at but no way we would see that much snow with a storm taking that track. The WAA would quickly push out the cold air and we would flip to slop pretty quick I think.

Yea mainly posted for fun with the crazy amounts. It looks like a significant signal is growing for the 28th-29th for something. Funnily enough, I’m more concerned with suppression. Not sure if it’s because we’ve missed a few big hits to the south recently but I’d rather get the precip in to our neck of the woods and deal with the risk of mix/rain. 

1 hour ago, dj3 said:

Yea mainly posted for fun with the crazy amounts. It looks like a significant signal is growing for the 28th-29th for something. Funnily enough, I’m more concerned with suppression. Not sure if it’s because we’ve missed a few big hits to the south recently but I’d rather get the precip in to our neck of the woods and deal with the risk of mix/rain. 

Don't get me wrong, I enjoy a biblical looking snow map as much as the next guy so I appreciate the post. After I saw the other maps though I knew it was highly flawed. 

12z GFS ticked a good bit south, actually looks like a compromise between its own 6z run and the 00z Euro. I agree though I'd rather have a front end snow to slop than whiff completely to the south. 

53 minutes ago, Rd9108 said:

Euro went north we are smelling the rain now. I hate snow maps but that's what I'm seeing at a glimpse. 

Its a wobble. Not too concerned about it. Its almost like the vort flattened out instead of digging deeper due to the less intense ridge out west. I want to see some consistency before i buy into this little hiccup. Like i said, I want to see tonights 00z so that that models will have had some of the energy from our system in it. If it continues north tonight and tomorrow then... :raining:

I do not care about the saying that we must have one inch of snow on the ground to qualify it as a White Christmas. It looks like we will be getting snow. I don't care if it is 1/2 inch it will still be a nice winter scene. For all the Christmas's I can remember it only has snowed a hand full of times. Just enjoy what we get.

36 minutes ago, MikeB_01 said:

I guess i just don't understnd why stuff like this always seems to happen. With our clipper a few weeks ago, we had a hole develop over AGC and now with the GFS. I think we live in a bubble

Screen Shot 2017-12-22 at 9.28.15 AM.png

I agree with you however we still have a storm system to come through tonight and tomorrow. Things could change. Maybe the hole will fill in on the upcoming models. (Trying to be optimistic) :santa::snowwindow:

1 hour ago, MikeB_01 said:

I guess i just don't understnd why stuff like this always seems to happen. With our clipper a few weeks ago, we had a hole develop over AGC and now with the GFS. I think we live in a bubble

Vort pass is just a hair to far North, slide it south and everyone is in the 1 inch plus category.

2 hours ago, north pgh said:

I do not care about the saying that we must have one inch of snow on the ground to qualify it as a White Christmas. It looks like we will be getting snow. I don't care if it is 1/2 inch it will still be a nice winter scene. For all the Christmas's I can remember it only has snowed a hand full of times. Just enjoy what we get.

I agree with all of this, normally when it comes to snow, the more the better, but for Christmas, just to have a coating on the ground and some flakes flying will be a victory in my mind, especially given the weather the last few years.

Archived