Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Pittsburgh PA ❄️ Winter 2017-2018

north pgh

11 minutes ago, CoraopolisWx said:

That trough dropping into the upper Midwest seems to be the main driver on that latest Gfs run. 

Probably Saturday we’ll have a good idea on said trough/vort position and strength. If it’s still even there. Lol

Yep, the Euro is in a different world with respect to the trough. Meanwhile the impossible to interpret UKMET map seem to indicate a middle ground between the two.

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, MikeB_01 said:

threading the needle ...:mellow:

However, big movement by the 12z Euro. The cold air was no where close on previous runs to where it is on this one.

Yes, these situations are usually a narrow area of winners, unless a wave really blows up along the front to through some solid precip back into the cold sector. Its a double edge sword though, if it blows up to big and to soon, you end up on the wrong side of the boundary.

2 hours ago, Mailman said:

12z Euro says Merry Christmas to this forum.  Seems to be model consensus that there will be snow in the air at some point during December 25th.  Hope it stays that way.

Honestly, I like this set up. Not a ton of moisture, but the GFS and Euro have both been hinting at this little system for a while.  I also think there is a little room for some extra moisture that isn't there now. The 12z , even though the precip map doesn't show it, the 500mb vorts on both are very similar. Will be nice to see some flakes in the air for the 25th. 

Wow....What a difference in the models.

Canadian gives us 8-12 inches Christmas eve and Christmas day. 2 Storms

GFS gives us Snow Showers and an 1nch or less.

Maybe the 2 can get together and I'll even take a 1-3.

Either way it will be cold enough I believe for snow so we just need precip to fall.

It should be an interesting next 3 or 4 days tracking. :snowwindow::santa:

1 minute ago, north pgh said:

It looks like the Canadian and GFS are coming into agreement on our little 1-3 snow event Christmas eve and Christmas morning.

If it were to verify it would be the perfect scenario for a White Christmas unless you are traveling overnight.

That would be me. I would like it to hold off until after midnight christmas eve night. I wlll be home by then

Archived