Newest Member
    joxey
Pittsburgh PA ❄️ Winter 2017-2018

north pgh

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, Rd9108 said:

Latest NAM drops about .2 inches of liquid. If ratios are as good as they are hyping we could see 2-4 easily. 

It doesn't seem like there's much lift within the dendrite growth zone, so I doubt we exceed 15:1. Maybe 13-14:1 on average, but I'm not exactly a ratios expert (or an expert of any kind for that matter).

7 hours ago, Rd9108 said:

I think it goes further east. Triple phase of the jet stream is hard to make work perfectly. 

With no blocking in the Atlantic to slow down the flow its unlikely perfect timing will make up for it. Trend this winter has been for medium range threats to trend weaker and more progressive. 

9 minutes ago, RitualOfTheTrout said:

So what exactly do you look for in the sounding for good growth? Is it just seeing the dew point and temperature very close within the dgz? 

As I undertand it, the yellow bars (omega) indicates lift. So you want the highest omega to line up with the DGZ, as well as to be saturated. It looks like the most snow growth is a bit higher than the DGZ so not quite ideal (and this was the best looking hour). I'm not sure exactly how far down the column snow actually forms in this case either, as a heavier band can come through and saturate the whole column, and I think there can be precip. when not entirely saturated.

13 minutes ago, RitualOfTheTrout said:

Been getting a very light snow all morning, almost like a mist, but ground starting to whiten up with nary a flake going to waste on the Frozen solid ground. 

I was out popper scooping the yard and it was like mining diamonds, had to chip away lol. 

lol...I was doing the same thing yesterday.  It had been a while since I ventured out to do that dirty deed in this cold.

Yes, getting a misty, very light snow with the sun shining.  We got a dusting yesterday morning too.

26 minutes ago, RitualOfTheTrout said:

I believe there is also a time component like 3 or more inches in a 12 hour period? This will be a fairly drawn out affair so maybe that is partially why. 

It seems like they are more likely to issue an advisory if the majority of the snow comes during heavily-commuted times.  Heck.. I got one a couple weeks ago and we weren't projected to see anything close to 3". 

49 minutes ago, MikeB_01 said:

Ratios set at 25:1. I think this is very possible with temps any where from 18°-12°

Screen Shot 2017-12-29 at 1.26.03 PM.png

So that would mean .2 inches of liquid would yield like 5 inches but minus 1 or 2 due to virga and possible compaction/light rates. 2-4 seems pretty doable. 

Archived