Newest Member
    joxey
Pittsburgh PA ❄️ Winter 2017-2018

north pgh

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
19 minutes ago, JPOracle said:

well that was just an minor band in comparison and we didn't have a freaking bomb system off shore.  Its just like an giant hurricane lol

What's gonna cause this hurricane. That storm is not gonna even affect us one bit. 

1 hour ago, MikeB_01 said:

I am very confused on what event we are talking about the NWS issuing a blizzard watch for us. Can someone clarify?

I think he is just being funny, in that we get no precip while its cold, and the most we see might be a streamer from the steam stack at the power plant.

There was actually snow from that about 3-4 years ago, NWS had it on their Facebook page with the radar showing the streamer originating from the power plant.. It was a narrow band, dropped like a coating to quarter inch. Pretty sure we need some specific atmospheric conditions though that don't happen to often.

All we get from the coastal is a reinforcing shot of arctic air, probably the coldest we are likely to see this winter, and some light snow showers.

8 hours ago, MikeB_01 said:

Not a bad look for us in the future. The 11th-14th

Yeah, could be a better chance with that look but need the track a little further SE than depicted verbatim. Next thing we will see is a storm take a decent track but have no cold air to work with so we end up with rain even on the NW side of the low lol.

2 hours ago, RitualOfTheTrout said:

Yeah, could be a better chance with that look but need the track a little further SE than depicted verbatim. Next thing we will see is a storm take a decent track but have no cold air to work with so we end up with rain even on the NW side of the low lol.

image.png.d434b16e01d70100b737186856798306.png

4 minutes ago, Rd9108 said:

Wouldn't it shifting neutral/negative draw warmer air up?

Thats a good point. I am speculating and honestly don't have much experience here. I think that is all dependent on the timing of the two pieces.  If the cool air is allowed to go further south before the energy with the moisture moves north, then I think the neutral tilt helps us here. I could be wrong. I was trying to find some analogs to help me decide what a neutral tilt would do in this situation

16 minutes ago, MikeB_01 said:

Thats a good point. I am speculating and honestly don't have much experience here. I think that is all dependent on the timing of the two pieces.  If the cool air is allowed to go further south before the energy with the moisture moves north, then I think the neutral tilt helps us here. I could be wrong. I was trying to find some analogs to help me decide what a neutral tilt would do in this situation

We need the precip to arrive sooner with a weaker disorganized system. With no HP around there's nothing to keep the warm air in place. 

It seems like many of you are focused on the warm up next week. Let's try and concentrate on Monday. The storm continues south and we are still on the edge of a mixed bag. I'm thinking we could be looking at everything from a potential of 1-2 and slop or 3-5. I know it is only the 18z but looking more promising for something at least.

1 hour ago, north pgh said:

It seems like many of you are focused on the warm up next week. Let's try and concentrate on Monday. The storm continues south and we are still on the edge of a mixed bag. I'm thinking we could be looking at everything from a potential of 1-2 and slop or 3-5. I know it is only the 18z but looking more promising for something at least.

Yeah looking at the 18z gefs looks promising for maybe a 3-5 type storm. Regardless I think we get some type of winter weather from it and not just rain.  suTXOwP.jpg

37 minutes ago, north pgh said:

Euro 12z looks like all snow right now. Right in that range of 2-5, but it would be wet and heavy snow. Temps right around freezing.

3 hours ago, MikeB_01 said:

Forecast says all the way up to 87% before backing off a little bit to the low 80s

y'know what they call liquid precipitation that falls from the sky in 40 degree weather?  

Rain.

Same thing they call liquid precipitation that falls from the sky in 80 degree weather.

13 hours ago, north pgh said:

This

Yes, the pattern is breaking down, but we have at least another 7-10 days in my opinion that any threat should be monitored. Pattern will still be evolving and cold will be available under the right storm track \ high pressure location etc. It is early\mid Jan after all so perfect conditions and -30 departures aren't necessary for snow. After that, yeah, we may hit a period that is pretty much no chance for decent event, but I'm hoping by that point we can already see signs of reload. Modify a few things slightly about the pattern we are emerging from and things might break in our favor.

Monday event is still evolving, hopefully we can pull an all snow event out of it.

Mondays storm still looks to be a mostly snow event but the nam and GFS do not have much precip 1-2 inches. Canadian still showing a 3-5 storm. Regardless it looks more and more like a clipper type storm before the warmer air comes in. Let's hope it over performs.

Another good thing is Mondays snow will be a day time event. We will actually be able to watch it snow. Unlike the overnight night snows where it snows while we sleep and is over when we wake up. 

I know it is not a foot but I have learned you take what you can get.

:snowwindow:

Archived