joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Winter Speculation 17/18 -December Thread

AMZ8990

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think this may be the more realistic idea. Have a first wave be all rain as the southwest energy kicks out and the first wave lays down the cold air for the next wave to ride along the front already established. 

I’ve never really bought the cut off hanging in the Baja forever like you guys. It just doesn’t make sense in a progressive La Niña pattern. Maybe in a El Niño but it doesn’t happen as often in La Niñas. 

This scenario cuts down on the ice but anything is on the table. We are seeing some hundred mile shifts run to run. 

Nice improvements with the ensembles overnight.  The Euro/EPS maintain consistency, though still play a few games in the southwest.  The EPS, GEPS, and GEFS are now in reasonable agreement that the cold comes East.  The 0z GFS operational was an extreme example, but the 0z Euro followed with similar continuity.  The 6z GFS has some continuity, but then does some strange things at 500.  I think the pattern that we are seeing from overnight runs is this....very cold air will dump into the Plains w massive highs.  The cold will then bleed East somewhere between Christmas Eve and Dec 26.  It does appear that two storms will ride the slow moving boundary.  One(at least to this point...who knows at 12z?) will cut, but we knew that.  The other may try to form a Miller A on the front as it passes the forum.  The 12z Euro is pretty dry after storm one, but the configuration of its trough would allow for precip.  The EPS maintained continuity w cold.  The control was especially cold.  Good trends. Let’s see if they hold at 12z.  Actually the GEPS and EPS have held for at least three runs.  

• Mr Bob unpinned this topic

Archived