joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Winter Speculation 17/18 -December Thread

AMZ8990

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

After looking at all the 12z modeling, I think the best case scenario for our regional forum would be to try and score a light event with the first wave, then possibly a more meaningful wave (if we can get a little separation and a better dig into the southwest) for the system just after the New Year.  Thinking BEST case scenario would include a widespread 1-2 type of event followed by a 2-4 type event. 

It's a fast flow with a lot of embedded northern stream energy so hopefully we can get something to slow down just enough to score.  I have to keep telling myself it's only December.  Feels like we have been tracking systems and patterns for an entire winter, not just a month.

3 minutes ago, tnweathernut said:

After looking at all the 12z modeling, I think the best case scenario for our regional forum would be to try and score a light event with the first wave, then possibly a more meaningful wave (if we can get a little separation and a better dig into the southwest) for the system just after the New Year.  Thinking BEST case scenario would include a widespread 1-2 type of event followed by a 2-4 type event. 

It's a fast flow with a lot of embedded northern stream energy so hopefully we can get something to slow down just enough to score.  I have to keep telling myself it's only December.  Feels like we have been tracking systems and patterns for an entire winter, not just a month.

These Pacific dominated patterns can last a while. We will see how long this one lasts, but really, we've only had a few total days of really wintry weather in December, it's just that the models saw the cold coming from a long way out and kept spinning up day 7-9 fantasy storms that were just close enough to get us excited.  Sadly day 4 or 5 reality hits but there's been another in the pipeline to focus on. 

11 minutes ago, John1122 said:

It honestly looks a bit like the GFS when the GFS was really cranking for us. Unfortunately, as you pointed out it's the 84 hour nam. So accuracy is always a question there.

That's a Win for the forum, albeit a questionable one. Lol.  Atleast we've got plenty of potential.  Usually we are lacking one or two things to have full blown potential for all of us.

1 minute ago, AMZ8990 said:

That's a Win for the forum, albeit a questionable one. Lol.  Atleast we've got plenty of potential.  Usually we are lacking one or two things to have full blown potential for all of us.

95 percent of the times we never have to worry about if there will be a storm, it's always about temps. That's why it's tough to see all the cold pass and nothing happen. We really cashed in on the cold in a good portion of the forum a few years ago. In December 1983 it would get absolutely frigid for a few days then it would warm up and rain before going back to frigid. At least rain looks to be off the table.

5 minutes ago, AMZ8990 said:

Thats a jump for joy win in my book, if tnwxnuts' best case scenerio happened we would see 1-6 inches by ny week end while also witnessing near 85 cold.  

1 minute ago, John1122 said:

It looks increasingly like we're going to have to wait for the patten to break down for anything to maybe happen. The WPC says it will break around day 8 or 9 and then the moisture will return. Just have to hope it catches the cold. 8-14 is predicted to be above normal precip and below normal temps.

Was just looking over the comments in the SE forum, they are losing their minds with each model run! :lol:

814temp.new.gif

814prcp.new.gif

This is the predicted pattern reshuffle in the 8-14 day timeframe. The cold will begin to retreat and the return flow will provide plenty of moisture. Fortunately by then we will be getting close to the coldest time of the year for our region and below normal temps plus moisture is about all you can ever hope for here. 

• Mr Bob unpinned this topic

Archived