Newest Member
    CHSVol
November Banter Thread

George BM

• Replies 808
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, showmethesnow said:

Tried a pumpkin beer a couple of months and didn't really care much for it. The clove taste put me off.

They all differ a bit on the spices. Overall I have found more I dont like than do. There are a few that are quite good imo. Flying Dog's The Fear is my fav. I also like Schlafly Pumpkin Ale.

3 minutes ago, mappy said:

I hear it’s cold out, haven’t been outside since yesterday. Had my wisdom teeth removed yesterday am, so been a fun filled couple days of being swollen and in bed. Yay.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That sucks. My wisdom teeth are the only four teeth that I have that came in straight.

At least it's a good weekend to cozy up indoors, but hope that you're feeling better soon.

7 minutes ago, mappy said:

I hear it’s cold out, haven’t been outside since yesterday. Had my wisdom teeth removed yesterday am, so been a fun filled couple days of being swollen and in bed. Yay.

Sorry to hear that. Hope they at least gave you some Happy pills to get you through it.

10 minutes ago, mappy said:

Oh I know how that is. I just got then taken out less than two months ago all four were impacted. 

57 minutes ago, C.A.P.E. said:

More importantly, whats on tap for Friday happy hour?

Just finished a Fistful of Zen, the NE IPA currently on tap in my keezer, followed by pouring a DDH Master of Karate from Aslin. I may finish with a nightcap of Czar Noir, my vanilla, bourbon, oaked Russian Imperial Stout.

eta: Mattie, your post reminded me of something that I'm not sure I showed you and Cape, but I think I told you that this past summer we stopped in at Russian River Brewing while touring the west. It was the evening before our campground went up in flames in a wildfire, but that's another story. Anyway, here's a picture of what you get when you order flight at Russian River Brewing Co. No four or five choices here. You get everything!

I think it was 21 different beers. Fortunately, I didn't do a flight or I might have burned up later that night in the fire.

IMG_0224.thumb.JPG.9d9a2164aafe86f8b2ef2f8f37f9d436.JPG

4 minutes ago, nw baltimore wx said:

eta: Mattie, your post reminded me of something that I'm not sure I showed you and Cape, but I think I told you that this past summer we stopped in at Russian River Brewing while touring the west. It was the evening before our campground went up in flames in a wildfire, but that's another story. Anyway, here's a picture of what you get when you order flight at Russian River Brewing Co. No four or five choices here. You get everything!

I think it was 21 different beers. Fortunately, I didn't do a flight or I might have burned up later that night in the fire.

Now thats a flight, lol.

11 minutes ago, nw baltimore wx said:

Now you are talking. I could get into that.

8 hours ago, mitchnick said:

OK, I'll admit it....I turned on Christmas music in my car thanks to this weather. I'll be sick of it by Thanksgiving, but it feels like Christmas out there now!  :santa:

This weather is one of the many reasons to be listening to Christmas music this weekend. I have many friends who put up their Christmas tree on November 1st :santa:

1 hour ago, nw baltimore wx said:

You did mention that you stopped at Russian River...and I was jealous!

That is one *hell* of a flight!

15 minutes ago, North Balti Zen said:

Chill - you were right - was a bad igniter. Fixed by 8 and got to sleep in the House last night. House bottomed out at 52. 

NW - the pre-season service couldn’t have caught it, so not on them. Just weird timing apparently.

getting half a cord of wood delivered today, looking forward to a fire. 

Welcome back to civilization. I'm glad it wasn't something serious, and the next time something breaks here, I'm asking Bob about it.

Actually, that brings up a question. Does anyone know of a solid roofer? There are a lot of companies out there and I am going to get a few estimates, but I'm always afraid of being taken to the cleaners. This is my first ever roof purchase and I simply have no idea what's a fair price.

5 minutes ago, nw baltimore wx said:

Welcome back to civilization. I'm glad it wasn't something serious, and the next time something breaks here, I'm asking Bob about it.

Actually, that brings up a question. Does anyone know of a solid roofer? There are a lot of companies out there and I am going to get a few estimates, but I'm always afraid of being taken to the cleaners. This is my first ever roof purchase and I simply have no idea what's a fair price.

If I was 10 years younger (and stupider) I might offer my services. Have worked on several roofs through the years but after doing my own roof and the garage in the last few years I have gained some wisdom and realized that it is backbreaking work better reserved for those younger then me.

Can't help you with referrals but I can suggest how to get an idea of whether you are being taken to the cleaners. This is just a rough estimate of costs and will get you in the ballpark at least. They base their estimates on squares which is 100 sq ft (10x10). So if you are able (don't kill yourself trying because the roofers should hopefully give you a fairly good estimate) you need to measure the area that needs to be roofed and get a sq footage. Divide that by 100 and you get the number of squares. Now go online and google the avg costs for your specific area for both removal of old shingles (check to see if it is just one layer of shingles being removed and not two as this will affect the cost) as well as the installation of new which if I remember correctly will be given independent of each other. It is important that you get costs for your specific area because these costs can fluctuate quite drastically from area to area. Add these together and you will get a rough estimate of costs to compare. This estimate though will not cover incidentals that roofers may or may not throw in such as flashing, gutters, replacement of plywood, etc... so take that in consideration with the final cost estimate.

I will add that you may wish to go with an architectural shingle as opposed to a 3 tab. They are a little costlier but you get better life and durability and in my opinion they look much better and are well worth the extra money spent on them. Good luck and if you have any other questions feel free to ask and I will try to answer them the best I can.

**** Of note that I forgot to mention. If you have a steep pitch on your roof this also will probably effect costs as it is more difficult and added safety measures by the roofers need to be taken.

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic

Archived