joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Christmas Storm IV

Cold Rain

• Replies 972
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Weaker wave @ 42HR. 1036mb HP further south than the 00z run. Could be a colder, supressed run.

At 500mb looks a touch weaker but further north to me, but at 700mb it's closed at 303 versus 306 from the last run so maybe a little stronger. And 700mb rh is much better looking.

According to what the Euro had last night, the phase wouldn't occur until just 96hrs (from 00z) which is obviously just outside the 12z run of this model.

I didn't see much difference between the 00z and 12z. It may have slowed down a little bit and everything looks to be set up for a phasing to occur.....thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

@84HR, no phase. Looks colder and supressed. Very light snow along I-20 corridor.

maybe i am not reading it right (or just have lower expectations) but it looks like the nam is bringing precip into n ga by sat. afternoon and over spreads the north half of the state. soundings are looking pretty close to snow...considering its that far out its not looking too bad. granted the amounts arent great, but 1" is expanding in parts of ga and the western carolinas by sat. evening

Very good point Sir. I was unaware of the time frame on the Euro... + 84hr Nam.............

According to what the Euro had last night, the phase wouldn't occur until just 96hrs (from 00z) which is obviously just outside the 12z run of this model.

I didn't see much difference between the 00z and 12z. It may have slowed down a little bit and everything looks to be set up for a phasing to occur.....thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

Thanks, it sounds pretty good then actually according to your statement. I appreciate your analysis.

I know a lot of you guys posting mean well but are just weenies like myself and really don't know what your looking at.

The NAM is further east than the 6z GFS or the 00z ECMWF aloft, thus I would imagine any phase would occur to late to benefit us. However as I mentioned yesterday the NAM uses the previous GFS run for boundary conditions with so many key features still on boundaries and in data void areas, I doubt the NAM will lead any charges untill we are at least withing 60-72 hours.

The disconcerting part is the position of the SLP.

maybe i am not reading it right (or just have lower expectations) but it looks like the nam is bringing precip into n ga by sat. afternoon and over spreads the north half of the state. soundings are looking pretty close to snow...considering its that far out its not looking too bad. granted the amounts arent great, but 1" is expanding in parts of ga and the western carolinas by sat. evening

The Euro has been amazingly consistent compared to every other global models. I have a hard time believing the storm will be that intense, but unless it sings a different tune the next day or so, you have to trust it more due to its run to run consistency.

No doubt, I think the nervous factor is at a all time high for a lot of us but I sort of think its fun......arrowheadsmiley.png

Not liking how the euro is the only model showing phasing while the rest seem to be trending suppressed and no phase.. Not encouraging at all.

The Euro has been amazingly consistent compared to every other global models. I have a hard time believing the storm will be that intense, but unless it sings a different tune the next day or so, you have to trust it more due to its run to run consistency.

No doubt, I think the nervous factor is at a all time high for a lot of us but I sort of think its fun......arrowheadsmiley.png

The euro made it's name doing this with January 96. To this day, that is why it remains a revered model.

Hopefully we are just in that time frame when the models lose the storm. This always seems to happen in the 3-4 day range. Everyone starts jumping off the cliff. Then about 48-72 hours beforehand, the models start trending stronger and further NW. It may not be the monster the Euro was showing, but I just have trouble believing that a STJ s/w this strong, with PNA ridging and some northern stream support would slide out to sea as a 1014mb "low". I just don't buy it.

Nam right now is too far south with the surface low imho for a lot of us. It's a good 100 to 200 miles to the south of the euro. Of course this is the 84 hour nam and it should be taken with a grain of salt.

I'm beginning to get the feeling we are looking at another December 1989 like storm that sees a major snowstorm go to our south and east. That storm gave places like Charleston and Wilmington a white Christmas, while not dropping as much as a flake anywhere over the foothills or piedmont. Believe I had rather this miss to the north than seeing that happen again.

Archived