joxey
2017 Mountains and Foothills Fall/Winter Thread

Tyler Penland

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
51 minutes ago, Met1985 said:

Lol it's crickets in here! 

I don't know. Even the crickets have nothing to chirp about.:) Seems like we always have this late fall lull where we're waiting for winter. Anyhow, I'm thankful we live here and cant wait until we have some big storm to track and post about. We always do eventually. Happy Thanksgiving.

6 hours ago, SnoJoe said:

I don't know. Even the crickets have nothing to chirp about.:) Seems like we always have this late fall lull where we're waiting for winter. Anyhow, I'm thankful we live here and cant wait until we have some big storm to track and post about. We always do eventually. Happy Thanksgiving.

Well said. It's nice most here have seen some type of snow already.  It's November so we have plenty of time. Happy Thanksgiving guys!

52 minutes ago, Met1985 said:

The last few winters have been horrid. It's been bipolar for the ski resorts.

I always worry about this.  My family and I will drive up when there is a good snowfall and ski at Beech Mountain... easy drive (wife does not fly)... and I get nervous.  Passed on a couple of real estate options recently out this concern... I love it up there, though.

1 hour ago, Hammer said:

I always worry about this.  My family and I will drive up when there is a good snowfall and ski at Beech Mountain... easy drive (wife does not fly)... and I get nervous.  Passed on a couple of real estate options recently out this concern... I love it up there, though.

It's hit and miss. This season has been pretty stable with cool temps most of the time this month. Hopefully this is not a long term thing. Looking down the road we may see some flake action next Friday. We will see. 

12 hours ago, Met1985 said:

It's hit and miss. This season has been pretty stable with cool temps most of the time this month. Hopefully this is not a long term thing. Looking down the road we may see some flake action next Friday. We will see. 

Yeah I like what I'm seeing in the extended today. Things could certainly get interesting by mid-month. 

I'm getting stoked for the weekend of December 9,10. Well be in Boone the next 2 weekends and I see some great potential.

Tell ya boys we have all grown wiser over the years with Lucy pulling the ball out from underneath with pattern changes , storms etc.

But this pattern coming up is not only a picture perfect one for all of us, but I've never seen day after day consistency and model suport (ens). So be of good cheer. I'd love to luck up a few times in December with Hollidays,lowest sun angle all year. Nothing beats white ground in December. Glad the slopes will be abe to really get out of the gates good starting about this time next week. They should all have a killer base by the time everyone is off work out of school for the hollidays.

18 minutes ago, NCSNOW said:

I'm getting stoked for the weekend of December 9,10. Well be in Boone the next 2 weekends and I see some great potential.

Tell ya boys we have all grown wiser over the years with Lucy pulling the ball out from underneath with pattern changes , storms etc.

But this pattern coming up is not only a picture perfect one for all of us, but I've never seen day after day consistency and model suport (ens). So be of good cheer. I'd love to luck up a few times in December with Hollidays,lowest sun angle all year. Nothing beats white ground in December. Glad the slopes will be abe to really get out of the gates good starting about this time next week. They should all have a killer base by the time everyone is off work out of school for the hollidays.

I wasn't excited for the pattern 30 minutes ago...I am now... Looks like you'll be up here just in time!

8 minutes ago, Met1985 said:

Yeah I agree. I am watching for that change around the 8th. If we can get that then I think things will hopefully fall into place. Cold but not super cold is what I am expecting and hoping for. 

If you read webber, I couldn't agree more with the blocking up over Alaska being way more crucial to driving our wx pattern in regards to SE wintry precip,cold. Yes it's great for - ao,nao etc. But ne pac really plays the biggest hand in our winter prospects down here. Other stuff is icing on cake,help.

I'll go on record and eat crow, but I'm 100% convinced we are about to have a grandaddy December from Dec 7th ish on. Espeacilly in light of the past several Decembers. I can gurantee at a minimum ski enthusiasts are gonna be in heaven from mid late next week deep into winter at a minimum. 

34 minutes ago, NCSNOW said:

If you read webber, I couldn't agree more with the blocking up over Alaska being way more crucial to driving our wx pattern in regards to SE wintry precip,cold. Yes it's great for - ao,nao etc. But ne pac really plays the biggest hand in our winter prospects down here. Other stuff is icing on cake,help.

I'll go on record and eat crow, but I'm 100% convinced we are about to have a grandaddy December from Dec 7th ish on. Espeacilly in light of the past several Decembers. I can gurantee at a minimum ski enthusiasts are gonna be in heaven from mid late next week deep into winter at a minimum. 

Oh if we can get the EPO to go negative then I think we will be in business. 

We are losing the NAO blocking according to the indices but the EPO will override that. The AO has a lot of spread but its all in the negative range. The only thing that concerns me is that losing the NAO we actually do not have a pattern that sets in and we just roll along if the EPO dissipates. If the EPO hammers down then we will be on the cold side of things hopefully as long as the troughs do not set up too far north. 

Archived