Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Interior NW Burbs & Hudson Valley Second Half 2018

snywx

1 hour ago, gravitylover said:

I drove through your area this morning and noticed how well you hold onto snow compared to just west of you. From the Taconic down into Rhinebeck it drops slowly then falls off a cliff as you cross 9G. How close are you to the Bulls Head Road exit? Nice area there.

It helps that 9G was basically the demarcating line between 8" of paste and liquid rain during storm #1, so we already had some semblance of a pack to build on. I did notice some bare patches opening up where farmers had already started working the ground down the street from me.

I'm about 20 minutes from Bulls Head going north on the TSP. I drive that road a lot to get across the Kingston bridge, and it's always such a tease... curvy, hilly with some straightaways, but you always get stuck behind a CR-V doing 29 mph around the turns. Bah.

• Haha 1

I like the inverted trough that's been showing up on the GFS and NAM for the offshore storm early this week. I don't have much faith in the 300-400 mile shift we'd need to get into conveyor belt forcing, but the interaction with the northern trough and its associated PVA could still generate a nice pack refresher far inland. The nice thing too is that this would be synoptic ascent as opposed to the mesoscale instability Norlun events that you typically think about what you hear "inverted trough", so it's not totally absurd to discuss it at 72 hours out. 

24 minutes ago, Juliancolton said:

I like the inverted trough that's been showing up on the GFS and NAM for the offshore storm early this week. I don't have much faith in the 300-400 mile shift we'd need to get into conveyor belt forcing, but the interaction with the northern trough and its associated PVA could still generate a nice pack refresher far inland. The nice thing too is that this would be synoptic ascent as opposed to the mesoscale instability Norlun events that you typically think about what you hear "inverted trough", so it's not totally absurd to discuss it at 72 hours out. 

That caught my attention the other day too but I haven’t paid much attention the last couple of days so I’m glad you still see it. 

Over the last 20 years we've only had a few inverted troughs really produce for us, generally you need to be 30-50 miles further east to benefit. I can think of a couple that were a bunch of fun to watch unfold, one in particular that gave us a completely unforecasted 13" of total fluff one afternoon in Patterson and another that was 8" of pillowy softness overnight in March. 

1 hour ago, Juliancolton said:

25 miles west - maybe even less - and the east-of-the-river contingent will rip for a while tomorrow. Gonna be close.

xh7YqBp.png

Well, a bunch of the afternoon models have this further west and if you look at the WV images from the last few hours it really looks like this wants to end up another coastal hugger rather than a bm storm. It just feels like the eastern part of the LHV is in for another whack and the backside snows on Wednesday could put another fresh coating on top just for good measure.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, gravitylover said:

Well, a bunch of the afternoon models have this further west and if you look at the WV images from the last few hours it really looks like this wants to end up another coastal hugger rather than a bm storm. It just feels like the eastern part of the LHV is in for another whack and the backside snows on Wednesday could put another fresh coating on top just for good measure.

Should be interesting. NWS just upped totals for my area here in northern Rockland from 2-4 to 3-5 but who knows

I’m right at the border of Orange County

Albany's WWA is for 4-8" here. Guidance looks pretty good... the HRRR successfully gets some moderate banding over the HV tomorrow morning, and the GFS, Euro, NAM all have up to .5" or slightly more liquid. Snow growth looks potentially quite good, so I wouldn't be surprised to see totals into low-end warning criteria, especially if the instability/deformation squalls on Wednesday live up to their potential.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, West Mtn NY said:

How the hell I have 5.5 inches here in Monroe which as of the 8:50 update is the highest accumulation in the whole coverage area including Suffolk is amazing. 47.5" in 11 days. 

Most of Orange county is in the 5-6" range now. Looks like the interior is doing well again

8 minutes ago, snywx said:

Most of Orange county is in the 5-6" range now. Looks like the interior is doing well again

Not home to measure. When I left around dawn there was 3.5 inches. Didn't think we would come close to doubling that this morning on the rotting fringe with banding just to my East. Just having 4 feet fall in 11 days in March with another potential noreaster on the horizon is astounding. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, West Mtn NY said:

How the hell I have 5.5 inches here in Monroe which as of the 8:50 update is the highest accumulation in the whole coverage area including Suffolk is amazing. 47.5" in 11 days. 

4 feet is a great month for any month, for only 11 days in March that's bordering on historic. Next Tuesday could make it historic.

• Like 1

• IrishRob17 changed the title to Interior NW Burbs & Hudson Valley Second Half 2018