Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Interior NW Burbs & Hudson Valley Second Half 2018

snywx

7 hours ago, Hitman said:

Why not just get a gas one?  I have a small stihl I got last year after my old one got crunched.  Totally fine for everything but big trees and I’m not touching those by myself anyway.

I'm tired of them retiring early because I leave it for too long with modern crap ethanol gas and the carb needs to be rebuilt and I don't feel like dealing with mixing the fuel anymore. I also want one for doing trail work because they're lighter for transport miles into the woods and they're quiet. 

3 hours ago, gravitylover said:

I'm tired of them retiring early because I leave it for too long with modern crap ethanol gas and the carb needs to be rebuilt and I don't feel like dealing with mixing the fuel anymore. I also want one for doing trail work because they're lighter for transport miles into the woods and they're quiet. 

Interestingly, I just learned of a product called “Motomix” that is a pre mixed fuel that protects the engine while it sits idle for long periods.  https://www.stihlusa.com/products/oils--lubricants-and-fuels/premixed-fuel/

Also, there are new gas saws coming out now that don’t have carburetors at all, but direct fuel injection.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Hitman said:

Also, there are new gas saws coming out now that don’t have carburetors at all, but direct fuel injection.

Well that could certainly be a game changer. I love the ease of use of the battery operated chainsaw but there’s still a need for a gas powered one for legit tree jobs. Although as the battery technology continues to evolve...

I still want the quieter cordless, there are some places where I do trailwork that a feature like that is important. If you want to jump through all the hoops and get work approved then get permits and such it could be a year or more just to cut out downed trees. Most times you're better off just going out and getting it done but the noise of a gas saw will get ya busted. As I research these I'm finding that a good reciprocating saw will do pretty much everything I need including cutting trees/branches up to a foot diameter and be more versatile therefore more useful so I might go that way. I'll be tackling a bathroom remodel next year and have some other projects that a sawzall is necessary for so I might just go that way.

9 hours ago, IrishRob17 said:

I need .99” before midnight to reach 60” on the year. 

Up to .55”, you all can count on the accuracy of my reporting to deteriorate rapidly as the evening progresses. That is if I even report. Happy New Year all, lets hope 2019 is better. Can’t wait for winter ‘19-‘20!!

• Haha 2

Well, my outlook on snow changed pretty dramatically a few days ago. On Friday afternoon I was just puttering around the house and had a pretty significant heart attack :( Then when they were dealing with that they screwed up and punctured my iliac artery and it drained a few pints of blood into my abdomen and legs so it's going to be a long drawn out recovery. I can't shovel at all for the next 3 months at least so I'm hoping it plays out like 2012. Sorry guys ;)

That said, I'm feeling pretty darned good and made my way around the hospital room by myself a few hours ago :) Unfortunately I'm in the hospital for New Years and all by myself because they don't allow visitors in the ICU overnight :( HapHappy New Year to the interior crew and have one (3?) for me. 

1 hour ago, gravitylover said:

Well, my outlook on snow changed pretty dramatically a few days ago. On Friday afternoon I was just puttering around the house and had a pretty significant heart attack :( Then when they were dealing with that they screwed up and punctured my iliac artery and it drained a few pints of blood into my abdomen and legs so it's going to be a long drawn out recovery. I can't shovel at all for the next 3 months at least so I'm hoping it plays out like 2012. Sorry guys ;)

That said, I'm feeling pretty darned good and made my way around the hospital room by myself a few hours ago :) Unfortunately I'm in the hospital for New Years and all by myself because they don't allow visitors in the ICU overnight :( HapHappy New Year to the interior crew and have one (3?) for me. 

Holy crap, that's really scary. I can't believe screw-ups of that caliber are still in the realm of possibility. My condolences, man... just brutal. I wish you nothing but the speediest and most comfortable recovery. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, gravitylover said:

Hey there. I just happened to be checking out this sub (upstate is my normal place.) I want to wish you a safe and thorough recovery. That is definitely a scary situation. Many blessings to you as we start the New Year!

• Like 1

Holy shit!  Dude, glad you’re still here, feel better. 

• Like 1

Oh sorry to hear that...Get well soon:)

• Like 1

9 hours ago, gravitylover said:

Good luck and get well soon.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, gravitylover said:

Wow, that really sucks. Thank god you're still with us. Hopefully you will have a speedy recovery and get out of that hellhole soon. Happy new year :thumbsup:

• Like 1

This slow recovery thing isn't just frustrating it FKN hurts. You know how a bruise gets tight and that part of the body is stiff? Picture everything from your belly button down not being able to move without searing pain. :( I  also haven't even seen the outdoors since Friday afternoon and everyone is talking about how warm it is and such. A guy came into work here at the hospital in his running gear and started spewing about how nice it is, he got a faceful from me ;) I mean really, coming into the cardiac ICU where none of us in the rooms can even get up much less share the enthusiasm. 

I hope it's ok if I vent to you guys a bit. Let me know if you don't want to hear it. 

40 minutes ago, gravitylover said:

This slow recovery thing isn't just frustrating it FKN hurts. You know how a bruise gets tight and that part of the body is stiff? Picture everything from your belly button down not being able to move without searing pain. :( I  also haven't even seen the outdoors since Friday afternoon and everyone is talking about how warm it is and such. A guy came into work here at the hospital in his running gear and started spewing about how nice it is, he got a faceful from me ;) I mean really, coming into the cardiac ICU where none of us in the rooms can even get up much less share the enthusiasm. 

I hope it's ok if I vent to you guys a bit. Let me know if you don't want to hear it. 

Personally I say you’ve earned the right to vent, fire away. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, gravitylover said:

You got the green light to fire away :gun_bandana:

• Like 1

4 hours ago, gravitylover said:

Vent away.  I think you should start a new nw burb 2019 winter thread.  Change things up and get some better juju going for your health and all of our snow totals.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, rgwp96 said:

79.51 was my yearly total 

Just incredible.

On January 2, 2019 at 2:33 AM, gravitylover said:

Tomorrow :)

I'm just reading through all these posts now, and saw your situation.  Terrible thing to go through, but I hope you feel better soon bud.  Also, don't worry about venting lol.  I feel the need to do it everyday, just not on here because I'd probably be banned :lol:

• Like 1

On 12/31/2018 at 10:47 PM, gravitylover said:

Yikes.  Hope you recover fully!

• Like 1

On 12/31/2018 at 10:47 PM, gravitylover said:

omg take care of yourself!  Heart disease runs in both sides of my family so I know all too well the risks involved, especially after the first one.  Controlled diet, exercise and all that!

• Like 1

Ooh the exercise is another sticking point. The vascular surgeon that did the arterial stent told me that anything more dynamic than speed walking is out of the question. For my whole life I've been overly active, mt biking, skiing (trees and bumps) kill the opponent tennis kind of stuff and now I'm supposed to walk. Blah :(

like I said in the other thread I'm pretty beat down and demoralized at the moment. 8 days on my back in the hospital isn't helping me but they keep coming up with complications and IMO padding the darned bill. I love you guys and appreciate you letting me vent :)