Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Convective Thread

weatherwiz

18 hours ago, eekuasepinniW said:

On the way home from Lowes, I could see the top of the super distant storms in N VT.  Once home, I realized it was mostly hidden behind the hill but I'm posting this intense photo of it anyways.

Pretty sure I was looking at the same thing from CON.

VU5TwLc.jpg

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
21 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

west wind at 850 doesn't mean much.

look at the design/evolution of the mid level heights up N of Maine...They are in a confluent structure...which means surface pressures are positively differentiating because of the synoptic scaled DVM.   The +PP then sends a mass-continuity restoration wave (atmospheric tsunamis of cold misery) air back SW underneath the more apparent environmental flow.   

my worry with the west 850 wind was advecting in drier air and with strong mixing it would mix dews but I checked the 850 dews and they remain quite high 

3 minutes ago, yoda said:

I sometimes find it weird though when the warning is in complete opposite to what MESH says... like the STW for Rehoboth says hail to the size of quarters

I've seen enough over the last year or so to be totally fine using MRMS as a first guess hail size in the warning. At least for our area, spotter reports have typically been within 0.25-0.5" of MESH.

4 minutes ago, dendrite said:

Looks like you took that from my go-to parking space at Best Buy.

Yup, I decided to pick up an Oculus Rift + Touch since they dropped the price.

Pretty cool toy so far, not the most comfortable thing though.  Google earth is great.  Someone needs to make a radar product for it.

Just now, weatherwiz said:

Is that product what basically what display's the hail icon/size on gr lvl 2?  

I believe GR has their own internal algorithm. Our MRMS is using data from OKX, GYX, BOX, etc to give a best guess max hail size. Like this storm is too close to kbox to see the top of the storm so MRMS will use data from OKX and GYX to fill it in.

Archived