joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Christmas Storm I (general banter)

WeatherNC

• Replies 590
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I hope the local TV news doesn't wait until Christmas Eve to warn the public how big this thing could be. Better safe than sorry, and it's going to be hard getting things on Christmas Eve for a large snow storm that could shut down things for a couple of days.

I agree Brick. There comes a point where folks have to plan and it would be irresponsible for the local news stations not to start preparing folks to at least consider the potential.

I agree Brick. There comes a point where folks have to plan and it would be irresponsible for the local news stations not to start preparing folks to at least consider the potential.

seems like they'd rather save face than save people problems

i imagine most local media in the carolinas will come around this evening or tomorrow morning at the latest if trends continue

Sure most have seen this but the snippet that stood out to me from GSP this morning....looking forward to this afternoon's disco!

In an effort to rein in the excitement...the quantitative precipitation forecast

generally follows the lower amounts on the GFS...which still gives

US a uniform 3-5 inches of snow across the forecast area Saturday

and Saturday night...with the exception of Elbert...Abbeville...and

Greenwood counties that stay on the warm side of the rain-snow line.

It should be noted that the slower and stronger European model (ecmwf) has plenty of

support for its solution. If that model were to verify...we would

have a major winter storm moving up the coast of the Carolinas

Saturday night and Sunday...and the Piedmont would stand to get up

to double what is currently forecast.

Right now from what I've seen me,lilj, burrel and NeGa could be in the heavy axis according to a couple models or on the light end according to others. I personally don't give a rat's as long as I see some snow on Christmas!!

ditto! as long as i can get an inch (and hopefully a lot more :lol: ) i would be happy. i dont like being in the bullseye so far out - i just want to see some snow :snowman:

Sure most have seen this but the snippet that stood out to me from GSP this morning....looking forward to this afternoon's disco!

:devilsmiley: yeah i saw that too :devilsmiley:

anyone else going to tick off relatives and stay in their back yards for christmas if it looks like thats the best place to be?

ditto! as long as i can get an inch (and hopefully a lot more :lol: ) i would be happy. i dont like being in the bullseye so far out - i just want to see some snow :snowman:

anyone else going to tick off relatives and stay in their back yards for christmas if it looks like thats the best place to be?

We changed our plans..doing all Christmas on Friday...3 different places!

Then staying here Saturday and window watching!:snowman:

I am staying home but I can walk to family's house down the hill. I am thinking this are will be no big deal.:thumbsdown: I do hope to see some and congrats early to those who really see snow!:thumbsup:

We changed our plans..doing all Christmas on Friday...3 different places!

Then staying here Saturday and window watching!:snowman:

:thumbsup: sweet! i am glad i am not the only one (a lot of sighs and groans from my mom and sister) :rambo: although i am leaving all options open in case their back yard ends up a better location :twister: lol

I am staying home but I can walk to family's house down the hill. I am thinking this are will be no big deal.:thumbsdown: I do hope to see some and congrats early to those who really see snow!:thumbsup:

hmmm it could be a decent event....even up your way i think. we just arent close enough to tell yet (and its driving me crazy). even if its not epic a couple of inches of snow, on christmas, i will be more than happy :guitar:

:thumbsup: sweet! i am glad i am not the only one (a lot of sighs and groans from my mom and sister) :rambo: although i am leaving all options open in case their back yard ends up a better location :twister: lol

hmmm it could be a decent event....even up your way i think. we just arent close enough to tell yet (and its driving me crazy). even if its not epic a couple of inches of snow, on christmas, i will be more than happy :guitar:

This is definitely true, looked at Accu and HM has his famous snowfall map on it and it actually shows snow in the south!

This is definitely true, looked at Accu and HM has his famous snowfall map on it and it actually shows snow in the south!

One thing i have seen on the NAM and GFS that precip breaks out early in NE Ga an NW SC way before the storm gets cranking. Although it may be light but around midnight we could get those early "fingerlings" that reach out in front of the storm especially in one this potent. Think Foothills said it yesterday that we could see it first and it never stop until sunday afternoon depending on the axis of the storm. Dang I wish this was Friday!

We're supposed to go to my parents in Durham around noon. Maybe it will start late in the afternoon so we can get back home. But we're supposed to go to VA on the 26th to visit my wife's family. Not sure that will be happening. Might have to go the next weekend.

Never can tell. Did you see the noon WRAL waether? There in house model showed lp in the gulf then ots. No moisture made it into our area. I don't believe that but it's what they showed.

One thing i have seen on the NAM and GFS that precip breaks out early in NE Ga an NW SC way before the storm gets cranking. Although it may be light but around midnight we could get those early "fingerlings" that reach out in front of the storm especially in one this potent. Think Foothills said it yesterday that we could see it first and it never stop until sunday afternoon depending on the axis of the storm. Dang I wish this was Friday!

wow i must have missed that (or either my brain temporary coudnt process something like that and i blanked out lol). the next couple of days could be brutal - either in time spent at the computer or severe depression, depending on what the rest of today and tomorrow morning's runs start to show. give me an inch or more and i will be happy (unless there is 6" like 10 miles away)

You and me both, we will know a lot more this time Thurs.

Right now from what I've seen me,lilj, burrel and NeGa could be in the heavy axis according to a couple models or on the light end according to others. I personally don't give a rat's as long as I see some snow on Christmas!!

Agreed. Just give me a few inches like the 3-5 GSP is saying and i'll be happy. I don't need two feet even though I wouldn't complain over it.

I know! Right? Thing that gets me..."If it's that good, isn't that bad?" I crack up every time someone does that.

Also important to note: Cheezie said "OMG" (bout busted a gut on that one too)

Snowman.gif:thumbsup:

YES! If this were friday i'd say 6-10" for us along and nw of I85. But it's not so will stay conservative right now with 3-5"!:thumbsup:

Archived