• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
1/26/17-1/30/17 Clipper/NW Flow Event.

John1122

Also appears the MRX point forecast is verbatim NAM 12k. It's the only model showing 40 degrees reaching my county, and sure enough, parts of my area are predicted to be 40/41 tomorrow afternoon.

18z RGEM has my temp at 33 tomorrow afternoon at 4 pm. NAM has it at 39. GGEM has it at 34. GFS has it at 34. RAP has it at 33 at noon here. NAM 4K has it at 34 at 4. 

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Better than nothing i suppose,clippers hardly never do us any justice here.Noticed though the temps today were 3-4 degrees warmer than what was being shown,quite annoying

National Weather Service Nashville TN
317 PM CST Sat Jan 28 2017

.DISCUSSION...

Nice day today as a sfc trough upstream has allowed some thermal
ridging to set up over the area. Current temps are into the lower
50s for many portions of the area.

Look for conditions to change over the next 24 to 36 hours. A
deepening trough over the U.S. will combine with a series of upper
level impulses. These impulses will traverse our area, beginning
this evening and continuing through Sunday evening. With 800 ft agl
thresholds determining rain vs snow, it appears that the bulk of any
precip that falls will be snow, except for Sunday late morning and
afternoon for areas west of the Plateau. That said, snowfall to
night will be on the light side, with relatively heavier amounts on
Sunday with the stronger impulse moves through. I will be
undercutting the numerical guidance as the snow/rain will pair with
the lower wet bulb temps to keep us on the colder side. Accumulation
potential does look best along the northern and central Plateau
where 1 to 2 inches will be possible by Sunday evening. We will
reissue the SPS to address this. Otw, west of the Plateau, given the
warm ground and rain mixing in at times, the accumulation gradient
will drop off rapidly. Generally, for  areas along and east of I-24
and west of the nrn and cent Plateau, a dusting to a half inch is
possible. Highs tomorrow will range from the mid to upper 30s
Plateau to mid 40 far southwest.

Moving on, we will see decreasing clouds on Monday, with warmer
temps into the upper 40s for highs west of Plateau. The warming
trend will continue on into Tuesday as a frontal boundary
approaches.

4 hours ago, John1122 said:

Also appears the MRX point forecast is verbatim NAM 12k. It's the only model showing 40 degrees reaching my county, and sure enough, parts of my area are predicted to be 40/41 tomorrow afternoon.

18z RGEM has my temp at 33 tomorrow afternoon at 4 pm. NAM has it at 39. GGEM has it at 34. GFS has it at 34. RAP has it at 33 at noon here. NAM 4K has it at 34 at 4. 

Posted an earlier post regarding kmrx using Nam and of it's warm bias for our general area. However, got knocked out of amwx before posting it. Said it saved but didn't. Anybody know why amwx keeps logging me out after a few minutes logged in ?

1 hour ago, Daniel Boone said:

In my post, I brought up an example of the Nam's bias and also of how during that huge Nam fail how mrx used it right up until it was past obvious. The event was the February 2015 1-2 feet storm here in which that model had us getting less than an inch before changeover.

But like i said before the models are to cold with the 2m's just by today,0Z GFS is even warmer the 0z run

5 minutes ago, jaxjagman said:

Oh, i'm not doubting you.I stay away from the NAM,its not a good model,this is HRRR range and it looks like snow by the sounding,we'll see

These warmer then forecast temperatures have laid a vale of skepticism over me and the others. It is 35 And drizzling here... temps rising past hour. I certainly hope this doesn't bust.

3 minutes ago, wxrjm said:

A storm of so much potential but much disappointment for many.. If only it was nighttime the entire time. We'd actually see some nice snow.

Just 48 hours ago the timing was to put the bulk of precip after dark.  I also thought that would be critical to actually realize a nice light accumulation.  Thanks for contributing, always glad to see a met posting in our subforum!

Perhaps this is more appropriate for the OBS but its snowing buckets with nothing sticking.

I think If it was busy I should of posted temps in the ops thread but only a few people in this one. Snowing now BTW at my house.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

13 minutes ago, tnweathernut said:

Took a nap and when I woke, it was ripping pretty good.  A couple of convective bands are over northern Washington County.  Nice surprise!

IMG_4681.JPG

The same is the case in Honaker over half an inch of snow in roughly 20 minutes with the temperature now safely sitting at 31F. Some weaker bands came through early but melted quickly. Hopefully the melted snow has chilled the ground enough for the latest wave to stick and endure. That band is advancing south at roughly 30 mph next areas under the gun are Abingdon and Marion. You can see it on radar.

Typical clipper for me. NAM was right and the temp rocketed to above 40 today even here in a more NE location. What ever made it to the ground today was mostly rain and now I'm getting missed by convective bands to the north and south. Temp is 36 now. Being in a valley and right next to the Clinch Mountain puts me in a terrible place. There is no preferred flow direction here. 

1 hour ago, tnweathernut said:

Took a nap and when I woke, it was ripping pretty good.  A couple of convective bands are over northern Washington County.  Nice surprise!

IMG_4681.JPG

The same is the case in Honaker over half an inch of snow in roughly 20 minutes with the temperature now safely sitting at 31F. Some weaker bands came through early but melted quickly. Hopefully the melted snow has chilled the ground enough for the latest wave to stick and endure.

• Mr Bob unpinned this topic

Archived