Newest Member
    joxey
Mid-Long Range Discussion 2016-2017

Cary_Snow95

• Replies 885
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, packbacker said:

Impressive blocking over the top but still with -PNA means warm east.  May need a reshuffle with pattern again in mid/late Jan to give us chances down the road.  

The weeklies essentially showed this pattern rotting like this for next 6 weeks. 

IMG_3568.PNG

If the N Atlantic ridge could shift west and give us some blocking that would help. If we could get it to shift to the Davis straits we could take a chance with the -pna.

On ‎12‎/‎22‎/‎2016 at 8:12 AM, fountainguy97 said:

I'm actually liking the first week of January. Gfs for a couple days now has shown a lot of activity in that time frame. 500mb energy is much more aggressive come the first week of January and we are finally seeing some ridging and troughing across the US.

WATCH the system that u see down in Texas at hour 228 it's got a nice blob of energy to work with but is suppressed into oblivion. I promise you in 2-3 days it won't be suppressed anymore.  And might actually have some blocking to help it out. Gfs has hinted at this system more or less since it was in the 360 hr range. I like the looks so far given the normal model trends of less suppression.

Timing has changed a tad but still the same system I mentionedB). Latest GFS runs have trended in the right direction. That upper air chart isn't too shabby. ridge needs to be a tad more east but hey Ill take this look just outside of 200 hours.

untitled.pnggfs_mslp_pcpn_frzn_us_37.png

^ It looks great.  Unfortunately, a parallel to garbage is still garbage...just on the next street over.  What we need is a perpendicular model!

Actually, if I'm not mistaken the GFS Para is the new and improved version of the GFS pretty soon it will be the GFS around 2019?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4 minutes ago, CAD_Wedge_NC said:

Before we get too carried away with the bashing.... could someone post some verification scores on the para vs. other models?

It probably fairly well in the short range.  But they have all been sucking wind in the LR this year.

Anyway, we'll see if it's continued cold look holds serve and moves in closer.

6 minutes ago, Cold Rain said:

It probably fairly well in the short range.  But they have all been sucking wind in the LR this year.

Anyway, we'll see if it's continued cold look holds serve and moves in closer.

Yep, this will be a good test for it. Heck, if it scores a win, we might give it some weight when things get interesting.

Actually, if I'm not mistaken the GFS Para is the new and improved version of the GFS pretty soon it will be the GFS around 2019?

no it will be the new gfs in 2017. in 2019 the gfs gets replaced completely and there will be no more GFS ever !!!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Thanks for the correction.

they are replacing the GFS with the NGGPS whatever the heck that is. The way I understand it is its a brand new model that NOAA is building or has already built

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, Cold Rain said:

^ It looks great.  Unfortunately, a parallel to garbage is still garbage...just on the next street over.  What we need is a perpendicular model!

Actually, verifying better than the "real" GFS at 500mb, according to Jon. I don't have the scores. Also I forgot what the lead time was.

1 hour ago, TiltedStorm said:

Sometime in 2017 actually, if I'm not mistaken.

1 hour ago, CAD_Wedge_NC said:

Before we get too carried away with the bashing.... could someone post some verification scores on the para vs. other models?

At 500mb (these maps), better than the GFS but not as good as EURO. Not sure about lead time though.

Archived