Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
December 16-18 Winter Storm Threat

Hoosier

23 minutes ago, smoof said:

The NAM is driving me nuts with about 8 runs in a row with the weird surface evolution and no deform band hitting me, while the GFS has had like 18 runs in a row of a deform band here now, I'd still take the NAM's juicy 7-8" WAA snows but want the deform band the GFS and other models have been showing for many many runs.

Hahaha don't be greedy now.

• Replies 582
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, smoof said:

Lol it's been almost 10yrs since i last stuck my yardstick in and saw 12"+ I missed both GHD1+2 too far north and some others, if the gfs and kuchera ratios work out this could be 10-12" :D

That's shocking... Even in MI that long without a foot plus? Even Reno NV has had several 1ft plus storms in the last 10 years. One time in 2010 they predicted 1-2 inches, and we got under this training stationary band and got 26 freaking inches in 12 hours.

Just now, ConvectiveIA said:

That's shocking... Even in MI? Even Reno NV has had several 1ft plus storms in the last 10 years. One time in 2010 they predicted 1-2 inches, and we got under this training stationary band and got 26 freaking inches in 12 hours.

yeah I live in the perfect lake effect doughnut hole in MI, have to rely on system snow here, and everything has missed north or south forever, last *huge* storm i had was 11.5" in 2008, just missed the foot barrier, since then i've topped out around 9" every "big" storm per season IMBY......

2 minutes ago, smoof said:

yeah I live in the perfect lake effect doughnut hole in MI, have to rely on system snow here, and everything has missed north or south forever, last *huge* storm i had was 11.5" in 2008, just missed the foot barrier, since then i've topped out around 9" every "big" storm per season IMBY......

What did you get Feb 1, 2015? Also what we're your depths like in 2014?

1 minute ago, michsnowfreak said:

What did you get Feb 1, 2015? Also what we're your depths like in 2014?

heres my ghd2 snow log entry....

02-02-15 5.00" "GHD BLIZZARD 2.0" for everybody south, just strong wind and pixie dust yesterday into this morning.

looks like I got around 42" normal season total in 2014 didn't record depths, never seen in 20yrs+ more than 20-23" depth though :D

15 minutes ago, smoof said:

heres my ghd2 snow log entry....

02-02-15 5.00" "GHD BLIZZARD 2.0" for everybody south, just strong wind and pixie dust yesterday into this morning.

looks like I got around 42" normal season total in 2014 didn't record depths, never seen in 20yrs+ more than 20-23" depth though :D

I have at CMU, back in 2008. Super Tuesday snowstorm we got 20" of snow with it. I believe there was snow on the ground beforehand too.

Will be interesting to see as this low pressure system gets fully sampled if it can do better for Eastern Iowa and northern Illinois with snow given the track, provided it stays consistent. All elements in place: existing Arctic air, WAA,overrunning, track, backside deformation zone, bitter cold rushing in as low passes east. Of course, what do I know. Just instinct.

4 minutes ago, beavis1729 said:

I know other factors are at play...but that temperature map shows the potential with this storm. Mid 60s in S IL and subzero in NW IA.

There should be good banding potential in that snow area, so could see some areas do well/overperform even if it doesn't really trend into something more robust overall.

18 minutes ago, Baum said:

Will be interesting to see as this low pressure system gets fully sampled if it can do better for Eastern Iowa and northern Illinois with snow given the track, provided it stays consistent. All elements in place: existing Arctic air, WAA,overrunning, track, backside deformation zone, bitter cold rushing in as low passes east. Of course, what do I know. Just instinct.

I've been thinking the same. If you saw a surface map with this storm on it, you'd think there'd be a little different outcome than what it looks like right now. Could change though. The GFS did pick up on this a little more w/ latest update, we'll see. 

Chicago storm I never saw your thoughts on how the euro handled last weekends storm vs some of the other global models. Given it as an outlier again.

For our area it honestly didn't do too bad. It was much drier that other guidance, and it wasn't too far off from being correct.

I was also the first to show the two wave scenario, instead of an all WAA/fgen setup, as the GFS held onto for such a long time.

In other words, I would definitely take it into consideration, even if it's much different than other guidance.

Chicago storm I never saw your thoughts on how the euro handled last weekends storm vs some of the other global models. Given it as an outlier again.

For our area it honestly didn't do too bad. It was much drier that other guidance, and it wasn't too far off from being correct.

I was also the first to show the two wave scenario, instead of an all WAA/fgen setup, as the GFS held onto for such a long time.

In other words, I would definitely take it into consideration, even if it's much different than other guidance.

6 minutes ago, Chicago Storm said:

By the way... I don't know why it's double posting, and it won't let me delete them.

I keep thinking this thread is really picking up, but it's just Chicago Storm double posting.

Sitting quietly observing this one, I really think this will surprise the Chicago Metro north of 88. QPF and evolution just seems off on the models and is starting to catch up. Time will tell.

Archived