• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
EPA/NJ/DE General Winter Discussions

ChescoWx

Snowblower is in 100 pieces and that didnt even work. If anything, extended range is even more bleak than 24 hours ago. Im really close to throwing in the towel on 2016-17 winter....really close. We clearly arent going to get any sort of sustained favorable pattern to lock in for a week or longer. Maybe we can salvage a late season renegade/freak 2-4"/3-6" event but Im not liking the chances of that either. The future for the remainder of this winter is grim and dire.....and grim just left town. 

• Replies 985
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Apparently some of the ensembles are showing another strong signal for a day 11-ish threat with a favorable pattern developing just in time for pitchers and catchers to report for spring training. I'm selling my snowblower parts as scrap metal today. At least the LR ops are showing a Bermuda high taking shape with 60s for highs.....we can only hope and pray that pattern establishes itself so we dont have to deal with cold and raw March/April weather again this year. 

30 minutes ago, Lady Di said:

Well I am curious to know why Ch. 6 this morning is still watching Sunday calling for PM wintry mix while you all have written this one off, let alone the rest of winter?

Frustration says it all, I think we have to give to at least Thursday before we throw in the towel on this one, Heck for the rest of the winter  for that matter

3 hours ago, Ralph Wiggum said:

Apparently some of the ensembles are showing another strong signal for a day 11-ish threat with a favorable pattern developing just in time for pitchers and catchers to report for spring training. I'm selling my snowblower parts as scrap metal today. At least the LR ops are showing a Bermuda high taking shape with 60s for highs.....we can only hope and pray that pattern establishes itself so we dont have to deal with cold and raw March/April weather again this year. 

I have a good one to emphasize how crappy we are doing with winter weather. Bought a new car in 2015 and have not driven it on a snow covered road to see how it handles! Didn't drive the day after the blizzard and following day roads were salted and cleared. It's unreal. Looks like it will take to the cars THIRD winter to test it out.

I have never experienced a winter, from memory, that we never had at least a moderate snow threat to track within 5 days. This year, every time we have a storm in the medium-long range, it vanishes, cuts into the Great Lakes, or misses us OTS even after showing a decent hit for a while on the models. My largest storm of the season is just under 2". We can't even buy a quick inch from a clipper system like today. The Super Bowl storm now looks like a sheared out, weak, northern stream mess. Beyond that, I don't see any snow for the next week or two, someone correct me if i'm wrong. I have always heard people say that they would buy a HECS one winter to have it not snow for many more winters after. Well, you got your HECS last year and are you happy? I simply can't believe southern Virginia/northern North Carolina is going to end up with more snow this year than here where climo screams otherwise. And personally, mother nature PLEASE do not dump all of our snow in march. I need to get out on the golf course.

1 hour ago, Newman said:

I have never experienced a winter, from memory, that we never had at least a moderate snow threat to track within 5 days. This year, every time we have a storm in the medium-long range, it vanishes, cuts into the Great Lakes, or misses us OTS even after showing a decent hit for a while on the models. My largest storm of the season is just under 2". We can't even buy a quick inch from a clipper system like today. The Super Bowl storm now looks like a sheared out, weak, northern stream mess. Beyond that, I don't see any snow for the next week or two, someone correct me if i'm wrong. I have always heard people say that they would buy a HECS one winter to have it not snow for many more winters after. Well, you got your HECS last year and are you happy? I simply can't believe southern Virginia/northern North Carolina is going to end up with more snow this year than here where climo screams otherwise. And personally, mother nature PLEASE do not dump all of our snow in march. I need to get out on the golf course.

It's been like salt in the wounds that the clippers keep passing to the south while all the rain storms are from systems north, then today's clipper passes north for further insult. Then there was the single big system of the winter(pathetic) that we needed a north trend from came just far enough to hit NYC to our east. My memory is vague but I believe my personal record for winter futility is 8" got a chance now to beat it but will get 3" of wet slop in late March to blow it.

Well I was fine last year with the big one in Jan.. That salvaged the winter for me.  Was an awesome storm!   Then we planted the garden a good 4 weeks early. Year before we tried that, maybe it was prior year and lost several tomatoes in a May frost. Appreciate all I try to learn here, I'm an old person and have lived through many snowless, warmer winters. 

My son just sold his 99 chevy truck with a plow. Good move at this point.  Second vehicle not needed may as well count that money as the lost revenue for non plow able events. Can't believe tomorrow is February 1.

Maybe we can squeak out a 4"er with the Wiggum rule. 

6 hours ago, RedSky said:

I have a good one to emphasize how crappy we are doing with winter weather. Bought a new car in 2015 and have not driven it on a snow covered road to see how it handles! Didn't drive the day after the blizzard and following day roads were salted and cleared. It's unreal. Looks like it will take to the cars THIRD winter to test it out.

I bought a used 2004 Subaru outback in 2015 and drove it the day after the blizzard just to see how it handled on snow covered roads. Pretty amazing. excellent traction and wouldn't fishtail on acceleration from a stop.

More dipping dot snow earlier today. Yet another weird aspect to this winter.....the winter of the dipping dots snow showers. I see the posts about the Wiggum Rule. Lets get to 60 degrees before we pin our hopes on that possibility. Like I said, I'm not cancelling or punting just being realistic. No prolonged favorable pattern coming. We still probably get a fluke/renedage 2-4"/3-6" event before April 15. 

3 hours ago, Ralph Wiggum said:

New Euro has another day 10 snow threat. Seriously, what is with this model having a day 10 snowfall almost every run the entire winter?

Seems like it's having issues with the split flow and using general climatology defaults. The biggest uncertainty would be predicting/assuming any phasing.  We are rapidly approaching the time for sun angle issues.  CPC is predicting going from weak La Nina to ENSO neutral this month - http://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/products/analysis_monitoring/lanina/enso_evolution-status-fcsts-web.pdf

enso-neutral-v2.jpg

3 hours ago, Birds~69 said:

Yep....you've been around this board/forum long enough. Many of us here like screwed up weather...good or bad. (Hopefully good)

Indeed...lol. Many of us (myself included) in the summer hope for hurricanes, severe storms, and derechos. How many people really want that except for us nutty weather geeks?

14 minutes ago, Jsdphilly said:

The only thing I love more then tracking a snow storm, is a good old fashioned cold front with the crazy winds and rain. It's much less stressful the tracking these damn winter storms  

Yeah but it seems the past 10 years, those summer cold fronts tend to become diffuse by the time they get to where we are in the hills.  I.e., cooler air manages to trickle in enough to stabilize the ground temps and generate rain in advance of the gust front.  I have watched many of these roll right over top of us with nothing more than a few flashes of lightning, some thunder, and lots of rain, only to regenerate when they cross the river into Jersey where all hell breaks loose.  Interestingly enough, some of the most wild t-storms & lightning have happened overnight and in the early morning hours after midnight vs the typical late afternoon diurnal storms progged around the time of the max heating of the day.

16 hours ago, Voyager said:

Some here would, I believe...

That's nasty weather! Not good to be in, not good to look at, pass <_<

It's not in the cards this year for serious snow folks. Those in SNJ were treated to that 6"+ event a couple of weeks ago, and Eastern PA snuck in a few inches too. SENJ got a couple of more inches this week as well. That's about all she wrote so far! February is probably the snowiest month, but I'm thinking it's not happening this year.

So, cold + snowy March or warm + dry. No in between please!

8 hours ago, Ralph Wiggum said:

New Euro has another day 10 snow threat. Seriously, what is with this model having a day 10 snowfall almost every run the entire winter?

Ji came up with this seasons pattern ECM has a day 10 threat every 4 days, just one run and loses it. Watch for it to be gone at 12z.

JFK is 3.8% above normal in snowfall after yesterdays clipper. A lot of luck goes into getting our winter snows. SEPA and in particular the northern half is having something like flipping a coin 10 times calling heads every time and 9 out of 10 of the flips have been tails. My seasonal normal to date is aprox. 17" vs the 4.3" I have.

1 hour ago, RedSky said:

JFK is 3.8% above normal in snowfall after yesterdays clipper. A lot of luck goes into getting our winter snows. SEPA and in particular the northern half is having something like flipping a coin 10 times calling heads every time and 9 out of 10 of the flips have been tails. My seasonal normal to date is aprox. 17" vs the 4.3" I have.

yep a lot of it is a coin toss even locally. for example I have double your snow total(8.5") despite being in a worse spot climate wise than you. that early january storm where we saw 5.5" and the rest of SE PA saw 1-2" was the difference. Really it's the difference for me in giving this winter a D in my area as opposed to a F so far.

Archived