• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
July 2016 Obs

We are surrounded by portals  :(   :devilsmiley:

FYP  :P       At least Parris Island will get a nice sea breeze at times  :(  :sizzle:

Next time Im on I 95 near Benson Ill try and get a pic of it. There was a billboard that says Columbia, SC its HOT!!!! It had some other things on it too but at the bottom it said Columbia is the hottest. 

I would tend to think being in the middle of the sandhills or being close to it, it bakes like SE NC does. Plus no water for breezes around you for a long ways as you know. The downsloping winds off the Apps just makes it super hot too when the winds are blowing the right direction.

• Replies 560
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Why in the heck is Columbia so hot? Seriously.

I think CAE is off by a few degrees, but that is just my opinion.  No doubt it is hotter in Columbia because of the topography, but when the entire region has a sustained 15-25 mph winds, like we have had many days these pasts couple of weeks, and all the surrounding stations are within a degree or two of each other and CAE is 5 degrees warmer.  I'm sorry, that is cause for speculation, you can't have one area stand out that much in an area that is relatively flat with that much mixing of the air.  I live about 15 miles from the airport and I am always 5 degrees cooler, almost on the dot.  CAE is also not part of the urban heat island, it is literally in the middle of nowhere sitting at an elevation of 236' feet, by no means the lowest in the area.  Parts of Columbia are down around 100-150' feet.  Apparently I'm the only one who questions it though.

I'm happy for all of those getting rain.  I've had less than a half inch in the past 30 days.

Next time Im on I 95 near Benson Ill try and get a pic of it. There was a billboard that says Columbia, SC its HOT!!!! It had some other things on it too but at the bottom it said Columbia is the hottest. 

I would tend to think being in the middle of the sandhills or being close to it, it bakes like SE NC does. Plus no water for breezes around you for a long ways as you know. The downsloping winds off the Apps just makes it super hot too when the winds are blowing the right direction.

Indeed  :(    CAE is known as "famously hot"  :lol:    

I think CAE is off by a few degrees, but that is just my opinion.  No doubt it is hotter in Columbia because of the topography, but when the entire region has a sustained 15-25 mph winds, like we have had many days these pasts couple of weeks, and all the surrounding stations are within a degree or two of each other and CAE is 5 degrees warmer.  I'm sorry, that is cause for speculation, you can't have one area stand out that much in an area that is relatively flat with that much mixing of the air.  I live about 15 miles from the airport and I am always 5 degrees cooler, almost on the dot.  CAE is also not part of the urban heat island, it is literally in the middle of nowhere sitting at an elevation of 236' feet, by no means the lowest in the area.  Parts of Columbia are down around 100-150' feet.  Apparently I'm the only one who questions it though.

I'm happy for all of those getting rain.  I've had less than a half inch in the past 30 days.

MBY is usually a couple degrees warmer than CAE in the summer, and a couple degrees cooler in the winter. I sit about 325' and 15 miles(as the crow flies) sw of the airport. I've been here in this spot for over two decades   ;)    

CAE's FB post  (because they always have such good news  :P

The average high temperature so far this month in Columbia is 100.6° including today's high of 101°. The normal high temperature for July is 93°. Also the record for consecutive days >=99° is 15 days (we are at 10 currently).

Indeed   :(    CAE is known as "famously hot"   :lol:    

MBY is usually a couple degrees warmer than CAE in the summer, and a couple degrees cooler in the winter. I sit about 325' and 15 miles(as the crow flies) sw of the airport. I've been here in this spot for over two decades   ;)    

CAE's FB post  (because they always have such good news   :P

The average high temperature so far this month in Columbia is 100.6° including today's high of 101°. The normal high temperature for July is 93°. Also the record for consecutive days >=99° is 15 days (we are at 10 currently).

I guess its valid then.  Do you have a weather station at or near your house?  

100.6 is absolute torrid number, this has to be on pace for the warmest July ever, has to be.  :maphot:

I guess its valid then.  Do you have a weather station at or near your house?  

100.6 is absolute torrid number, this has to be on pace for the warmest July ever, has to be.  :maphot:

There's one on wunderground that is about 3 miles (as the crow flies) from my house. I just have a few thermometers placed around the yard, and a rain guage in the front and backyard. Those have served me well for more years than I care to remember  :lol:  

I'm tired of experiencing the "hottest summer ever" year after year  :( 

1.20 inches of rainfall IMBY this afternoon in a decent, quick storm. (Hickory, NC, for avdave)

Sent from my 6045O using Tapatalk

Nice, Thanks Calculus1.  I seen that WNC is in a deficit for rainfall so far so this is good news out there. Far cry from the opposite side of the state with Hatteras having quite a year with rainfall. Of course those weak tropical systems so far do help out a lot on the coast

Nice, Thanks Calculus1.  I seen that WNC is in a deficit for rainfall so far so this is good news out there. Far cry from the opposite side of the state with Hatteras having quite a year with rainfall. Of course those weak tropical systems so far do help out a lot on the coast

It's actually not been too bad here since the second half of June.  I picked up another 0.83 inch of rainfall IMBY this afternoon.  I am amazed at the amount of rainfall that we have received in summer so far.  Seems uncharacteristic, but I'll need to consult my records to confirm.

This happens here a lot - happened again this evening. A pop-up shower overhead, intensifying slowly. Drops .15" - .20" before moving on about 10 miles and becomes a legitimate thundershower/storm that you can still hear rumbling 2 hours later.

This happens here a lot - happened again this evening. A pop-up shower overhead, intensifying slowly. Drops .15" - .20" before moving on about 10 miles and becomes a legitimate thundershower/storm that you can still hear rumbling 2 hours later.

This is my pop-up shower, 90 minutes after it left here...

742 PM EDT TUE JUL 12 2016...A STRONG THUNDERSTORM WILL AFFECT PORTIONS OF NORTHEASTERNJOHNSTON COUNTY UNTIL 800 PM EDT...AT 741 PM EDT...NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE DOPPLER RADAR INDICATED ASTRONG THUNDERSTORM NEAR SMITHFIELD...MOVING NORTHEAST AT 5 MPH.HAIL UP TO THE SIZE OF DIMES AND WIND GUSTS UP TO 50 MPH WILL BEPOSSIBLE WITH THIS STORM.LOCATIONS IMPACTED INCLUDE...SMITHFIELD...MICRO...SELMA...PINE LEVEL AND KENLY. 

Another 100+ HI day here in Clayton, NC, Avdave. 90/75 77 = 101 104

You guys bake over there in JoCo. thats for sure.

It's actually not been too bad here since the second half of June.  I picked up another 0.83 inch of rainfall IMBY this afternoon.  I am amazed at the amount of rainfall that we have received in summer so far.  Seems uncharacteristic, but I'll need to consult my records to confirm.

Thats pretty nice, Maybe it was something I saw that it was further west in NC, AVL and points S and W from there perhaps. Illl have to dig that up if I can find it

Archived