joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
2/16 President Day Storm Obs

UnionWeatherWx

• Replies 602
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Pretty extreme to see a +50 degree temperature rise in just 48 hours. This is like a NYC version of the Chinook.

I remember back in January 1972 when the temperature was 62 at midnight on the 14th...it was the high for the 13th-14th...on the 16th the temperature dropped to 5 with a max of 15...the temperature rose to 57 on the 19th with some rain...We are in an up and down pattern and have been since early January...

I remember back in January 1972 when the temperature was 62 at midnight on the 14th...it was the high for the 13th-14th...on the 16th the temperature dropped to 5 with a max of 15...the temperature rose to 57 on the 19th with some rain...We are in an up and down pattern and have been since early January...

That's why its so tough to see a negative departure month here since last spring as the cold shots have been transient.

That's why its so tough to see a negative departure month here since last spring as the cold shots have been transient.

I said all along if we average 33.9 for February it would be 10 degrees warmer than February 2015 but still below average...as of yesterday February is averaging 34.0...It will go up this week and down next week...

I said all along if we average 33.9 for February it would be 10 degrees warmer than February 2015 but still below average...as of yesterday February is averaging 34.0...It will go up this week and down next week...

It was pretty cool how the Arctic shot this past weekend blew away anything that we saw last February which was so much colder.

Looks like everyone saw the same 1.5"-3" of snow, including all 4 NYC metro stations.

In the end it was almost like 2 storms, 1st part yesterday (overrunning/cold part) PM and 2nd part today mid-day on (warm part)

The difference is that the interior held onto the freezing rain longer. It became pretty clear yesterday afternoon that just about everyone was going to lose the snow after 7PM give or take an hour.

Some nasty ZR here last evening especially with the cold ground-we held onto icy surfaces longer due to the 2 days of 0-10 degree weather that preceded it

The difference is that the interior held onto the freezing rain longer. It became pretty clear yesterday afternoon that just about everyone was going to lose the snow after 7PM give or take an hour.

It became clear 2-3 ago, that this would be an evenly split 1"-3" event for everyone , including the interior.

Ice threat was minimal because it mostly occurred after 8pm yesterday and today's morning commute was fine for 95% of the population.

It became clear 2-3 ago, that this would be an evenly split 1"-3" event for everyone , including the interior.

Ice threat was minimal because it mostly occurred after 8pm yesterday and today's morning commute was fine for 95% of the population.

The ice was a real problem for many areas North and West. It was only 34 degrees at home when I left for work at 7:45.

The Washington DC radar looks very intense. Some of that will miss to the West but a good chunk of it should at least clip Western areas.

and also down to VA Beach area, that's the stuff that will get us later.  Models in pretty good agreement of a 1.5-2 inch soaking in a short period of time this afternoon

I'm quite curious, (I may go outside and actually see if it's in fact true), with how long/cold it had been for past week or 2 and frozen ground/snow cover, I wonder if the ground is now 100% thawed out or not. I would think it was several inches thick frozen,maybe more or less, and that several inches at the surface only thawed?how long does it take the ground to actually thaw,with not much sun? Never actually looked before.

The top inch or two might be a muddy mess, but it's unlikely the ground is thawed. I'm not sure where Orient, N.Y. is, but in northwest NJ, its not uncommon to have the frost line 2-3 feet deep. Granted this winter hasn't had sustained cold which may permit that, but I would think an easy 10-12 inches deep is rock hard.

I'm on long island. We went as low as -5 almost -6, though my truck said -8... we had snow cover for majority of week.was looking around online, frost line for most in the forum ranges from 36-72 inches... from about the bottom of new Jersey all the way up to Canadian border. From below 0℉ to 50℉ minimal sunlight,(1.2 on UV sensor) ID imagine it would need to be warmer/warm and sunny for several days?

***Edit:average frost line during winter months...***

Archived