joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
February 8-12 2016 Cold and Possibly Snowy

tnweathernut

• Replies 387
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Major traffic issues in Knoxville. West Knox has about 1/2 inch, but roads are coated for the most part. Extremely slick, cars off the roads and wrecks everywhere.

Looks like HRRR wants to develop another heavy band in the central valley in the next hour and keeps moisture swinging thru the central/northern valley throughout the day. SREF plumes show us above freezing in Knoxville at that point, but right now we are a couple of degrees below where we should be according to the plumes...

Think this additional snow cover could help with temp issues come monday? Or are we still so much on the fence on the model mayhem that no one knows?

Closing in on 2 inches here on my deck and still snowing.  Roads are a mess.  I have steep hills on my particular road near Douglas Lake, and several cars are stuck at the bottom of one. 

Heaviest snow by far this winter. Trees also getting a coating now, so it's a wonderland in the woods around the house.

Unless we get a lot more snow than even anticipated (prob 4 or more inches) this snow will be melted by Monday. I know it's going to be really cold, but the sunshine that we likely get tomorrow will melt this away. Need a decent snowpack to hold it in. Now Jaycee may still have snow through tomorrow, as he's getting dumped on now haha!

Snow picking up again here...and noticed a heavier "blob" in Knox Co still to move through. 

Also, I noticed that while the heaviest is over, there is still some moisture dropping down from KY.  It may keep the snow going a bit longer for areas east and north of Knox, such as Morristown and Tri-Cities (if it holds together). 

Wow--just had a heavy downpour of snow for about 5 minutes.  Huge flakes.  Had to pull myself away from the radar and actually go out and stand in it.  I could hear the snow "blobs" plopping on the ground. 

Snow has tapered to flurries for now. But I'm left with a winter wonderland of nearly 2 and half inches.  All the trees are coated heavily with snow.  It was sure an unexpected Friday treat.  TGIF everyone.  :beer:

Snow about over for areas south of Knoxville (from the look of the radar), and probably only light snow for my area for the next hour or so.  Areas to the northeast, like Morristown, may continue in the snow for a good while longer, however.  Moisture dropping in from the northwest keeping it going there. 

Per MRX:

AFDMRX

AREA FORECAST DISCUSSION...UPDATED
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE MORRISTOWN TN
955 AM EST FRI FEB 12 2016

.DISCUSSION...
INITIAL SHOWFALL ACCUMULATIONS THIS MORNING HAVE BEEN GREATER FOR
SOUTHERN AND CENTRAL SECTIONS THAN EXPECTED.
..BUT RADAR TRENDS SHOW
THAT SNOW IN THESE AREAS IS COMING TO AN END...AND THE FOCUS FOR
THE NEXT FEW HOURS WILL BE IN SW VA AND NE TN. A QUICK 1-2 INCH
ACCUMULATION CAN BE EXPECTED IN THAT AREA THROUGH THE REST OF THE
MORNING AND EARLY AFTERNOON...
WITH A DECREASING TREND TO THE SNOW
AFTER 18Z OR SO. A TRANSITION TO A NW FLOW SNOWFALL WITH MOST
ACCUMULATIONS IN HIGHER TERRAIN WILL OCCUR THIS EVENING.
THE
FORECAST FOR THE REST OF THE DAY CAPTURES THIS TREND...SO NO
SIGNIFICANT CHANGES ARE NEEDED TO THE ADVISORY AREA. SOME SLIGHT
ADJUSTMENTS WILL BE MADE TO SNOW AMOUNTS NORTH.

DUE TO SNOW-COVERED ROADS AROUND KNOXVILLE...WILL KEEP THE
ADVISORY UP FOR AT LEAST A FEW MORE HOURS IN THAT AREA...ALTHOUGH
WARMING TEMPERATURES SHOULD HELP CONDITIONS IMPROVE IN THE EARLY
AFTERNOON.

&&

Archived