joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
NNE Winter. Will it ever snow again?

mreaves

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks ono, I was just thinking of asking PF for an update on how low the snow level had reached.

I'm back at home, just light rain here. But I see its 34F at the base now so I'd assume there's flakes making it down there as that's the temperature the upper mountain started seeing snow at. Snow level is probably a little lower on the west side just based on the delivery of cold air out of the WNW.

Okay, maybe we can try one more time.  I'll take the 18Z GFS for a nice storm next Thursday.  Just lock in this run and wake me up on Wednesday.

Great day for a timelapse.  Socked in first thing, then bust into the warm sector followed by the cold front with showers.  You can really see the direction of the clouds change.  

If you look carefully you will see my "lawnmowers" were out this AM and again this PM.  

https://video.nest.com/clip/877092fe2f414058beb9ce27bca79f33.mp4

Okay, maybe we can try one more time.  I'll take the 18Z GFS for a nice storm next Thursday.  Just lock in this run and wake me up on Wednesday.

Great day for a timelapse.  Socked in first thing, then bust into the warm sector followed by the cold front with showers.  You can really see the direction of the clouds change.  

If you look carefully you will see my "lawnmowers" were out this AM and again this PM.  

That was cool.

We are over to white rain in town now. Small wet flakes at 35F.

I’d say by ~8:00 P.M. we were fully over to snow down here at 500' and we’ve got a bit of new accumulation now.  There’s certainly moisture upstream on the radar, so hopefully we’ll add a bit more to the frozen portion of this storm.

I’d say by ~8:00 P.M. we were fully over to snow down here at 500' and we’ve got a bit of new accumulation now.  There’s certainly moisture upstream on the radar, so hopefully we’ll add a bit more to the frozen portion of this storm.

Yeah, coated white out back now but very small, almost granular flakes.  Temps still marginal and there's so much water in the yard right now, ha.  I'm not sure what its like elsewhere, but this is some of the most standing water I've ever seen in town here.  Lakes.

Amazingly because o,ethis backend snow we will have a net gain or at least break even.

Should be a net gain here as the ground was bare and only got .2" on the front end. Coming down pretty nicely now. Solid coating down.

Maybe squeeze out .5". Small victories this year.

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

got over 2" here by UVM. So much for dusting to 1/3".  

That 1-3" call for higher elevations may be conservative considering it's been snowing for some time now (~10 hours) in the mountains, and the radar looks decently robust coming over the Dacks in WNW flow.  Steady light snow here.

i like how the deer move around in a pack, just following each other around. cool video

Had about 2" of fluff at home, and its real windy up at the mountain so it was 2" of wind-blown snow at the base.  Groomers say 4" is a safe number but may be more once you can investigate it.  They just couldn't say with the wind and fluffy snow as its like 0-12" from the wind.

I see Smuggs with 5"... Sugarbush showing 1-7"...

Had about 2" of fluff at home, and its real windy up at the mountain so it was 2" of wind-blown snow at the base.  Groomers say 4" is a safe number but may be more once you can investigate it.  They just couldn't say with the wind and fluffy snow as its like 0-12" from the wind.

I see Smuggs with 5"... Sugarbush showing 1-7"...

I'll take that.

Event totals: 4.6” Snow/2.53” L.E.

Well, this most recent “sandwich storm” (Winter Storm Petros) had less front end snow than the similar one last week (Winter Storm Olympia) around here, but more back end snow.  This one also had substantially more liquid equivalent overall, with 2.5”+.  But, at least it did result in another net gain in snowpack depth.

Details from the 12:00 A.M. Waterbury observations:

New Snow: 2.2 inches

New Liquid: 0.13 inches

Snow/Water Ratio: 16.9

Snow Density: 5.9% H2O

Temperature: 27.3 F

Sky: Snow (5-15 mm flakes)

Snow at the stake: 3.0 inches

Details from the 6:00 A.M. Waterbury observations:

New Snow: 1.3 inches

New Liquid: 0.04 inches

Snow/Water Ratio: 32.5

Snow Density: 3.1% H2O

Temperature: 18.1 F

Sky: Flurries

Snow at the stake: 4.0 inches

Event totals: 4.6” Snow/2.53” L.E.

Well, this most recent “sandwich storm” (Winter Storm Petros) had less front end snow than the similar one last week (Winter Storm Olympia) around here, but more back end snow.  This one also had substantially more liquid equivalent overall, with 2.5”+.  But, at least it did result in another net gain in snowpack depth.

Details from the 12:00 A.M. Waterbury observations:

New Snow: 2.2 inches

New Liquid: 0.13 inches

Snow/Water Ratio: 16.9

Snow Density: 5.9% H2O

Temperature: 27.3 F

Sky: Snow (5-15 mm flakes)

Snow at the stake: 3.0 inches

Details from the 6:00 A.M. Waterbury observations:

New Snow: 1.3 inches

New Liquid: 0.04 inches

Snow/Water Ratio: 32.5