joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Central PA OMG SNOW thread -- Winter 2016

neff

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The model consistency at this range is great.

Usually it's the Euro showing a good track, the Canadian

showing something cutting to Toronto & the GFS taking the

Low to Bermuda. Then usually they all come around to a solution

Close the the Euro within 48 hours of the event.

Today, we have none of that insanity.

Hopefully our only question is how much snow.

Here's to great 0z model suite!

The model consistency at this range is great.

Usually it's the Euro showing a good track, the Canadian

showing something cutting to Toronto & the GFS taking the

Low to Bermuda. Then usually they all come around to a solution

Close the the Euro within 48 hours of the event.

Today, we have none of that insanity.

Hopefully our only question is how much snow.

Here's to great 0z model suite!

It cant be that easy...A meltdown is coming one way or the other.

Time to go checkout the MA thread ....

Ruh roh.....

Been in the back of my mind as much as suppression.  All we know is...we have a storm, but where it ends up aint likely where models show it now (and it pains me to say that btw...cause I really really........really like what they showed us today.

Nut

You mean to tell me somebody hasn't taken down these douchebags yet?

12508817_1028948180496301_66410487117956

They actually just posted a thread in my snowmobiling forum and want people to like, follow....blah blah.  

I just set em straigh a bit....

If Zak joined them, well then they bother me a little less...he was a good egg IMO.

Nut

They actually just posted a thread in my snowmobiling forum and want people to like, follow....blah blah.  

I just set em straigh a bit....

If Zak joined them, well then they bother me a little less...he was a good egg IMO.

Nut

If Zak joined them, I would like to have been there for that interview to see if Zak's past commentary came up lol

http://www.americanwx.com/bb/index.php/topic/41792-central-pa-banter-thread/page-12

Neff's kid was born in that thread too, apparently

You mean to tell me somebody hasn't taken down these douchebags yet?

12508817_1028948180496301_66410487117956

unfortunately, there are a lot more of those fb/made up dot com places if this one is removed. and one of the big reasons why we continue to have them is that, imho, the weather enterprise is continuing its policy of not employing anywhere enough graduates and enough met forecasters in general. and with the emphasis these days in the private industry on "how much clickbait can you generate to make it worthwhile to hire you" of "how many IT or other personnel can you do the jobs for while trying to concentrate on making a good forecast" not "can you actually forecast well and in a professional manner"; unfortunately these type of places will continue to flourish at a time when we need to increase credibility with the public via WRN, not dilute it further. If these people had some inkling of how professional forecasting was supposed to be done, then I don't think we'd have anywhere near the credibility issue that we do have now. But unfortunately, that type of message won't get through the AMS or NWA leadership because it might actually cost companies money to go more for quality than quantity, and it would mean the NWS offices might actually become fully staffed, not down 1-2 per office even after the latest hiring binge.

that all being said and back to the storm in hand, it is starting to look a bit more consistent run to run on this thing, with the GFS for some reason continuing to generate some high-power meso band along US-11/I-81 on the front side, almost disregarding the poconos topographically. even with the 500 low seeming to set up some enhanced banding on the rim of the cold core, i just don't know how the poconos don't get it a lot worse than Wilkes Barre-Scranton-Bloomsburg with that setup.

93 definitely faster than 18z. Already 0.25+ across the state line. MDT 0.10+. Everyone else light.

96 0.5+ around the border. 0.25+ MDT-AOO. 0.10+ elsewhere.

99 0.25+ nearing AVP. 0.5+ to MDT. 0.75+ SC-SE PA.

102 0.25+ for most. 0.5+ confined to eastern LSV.

105 everyone 0.25+.

Weaker and faster than 18z.

108 pivoting...0.5+ LSV, still most everyone 0.25+

111 state line getting hammered by the pivot...0.75-1.00+. Precip lightening elsewhere. Still large 0.25+ swath.

114 LSV hammered. Parts of true central still getting 0.25+. NEPA stuck in the shaft zone with just 0.10+.

117 0.25+ spreads back to NEPA. Southern portions still getting hit 0.5-0.75+.

120 Starting to pull out.

Archived