Newest Member
    joxey
January 22-23 Storm Threat

Ralph Wiggum

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Warm ocean air causing mixing...

Yes but no mention of any mix in Philly zone.  I noticed that there has often been a gap of lower snow/qpf near and around Philly.  In another forum I read (Ginxy I think) that when the low is captured it pulls back the moisture while the 850 low accelerates to the northeast.  There is still time for this to shift although the bullseye has never left DC BWI area.

Tell DT that.

Being a newb, I ask: Why is that? Surely running the model 30+ times and taking the mean would provide the best result? Sorry, I have NO clue how any of this works. Can someone please put it in layman's terms? Cheers/

From forky in the NYC forum....

ensemble means are useless in an all or nothing situation like this. members with 0 bring down the mean very quickly

GEFS were not good. It's OK it has to have that period where it tries to lose the storm around this time all is well.

To be fair most of the members (and the OP) do not lose the storm, there are a few whiffs in there which bring down the numbers.  For PHL the ensemble mean is still ok, the farther N and W you go, it starts to diminish.  This really does remind me a bit of 2/5/10, although i still think this storm ends up a little north of that one. 

Why the lower snow totals in Philadelphia?  There is not mention of mixing in the zones, and there are 2 periods of heavy snow accumulation and one period of light accumulation.  Why so much less than BWI?

Also WPC has Philly at 1.5+qpf

Probably a combination of location and the Jeefus maybe overdoing the sleet.

Archived