joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Two Clipper Systems Part II

mimillman

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

LSRs can be a bit tricky, as sometimes even with the higher ratio stuff you get small flake size.  Looking at some GFS/NAM soundings they're showing a fairly shallow DGZ per my eyes.  Generally around 100mb over northern IL.  One thing we have going in favor though will be fairly light winds in the lower 3km, so flake shattering may be kept to a minimum.  

I think I'll ride more of a 15:1 LSR as opposed to 20:1 for now.  Probably splitting hairs at this point, but it's how it looks to me based on the 12z guidance.  Hopefully models continue to bump up qpf in future runs.  

LSRs can be a bit tricky, as sometimes even with the higher ratio stuff you get small flake size. Looking at some GFS/NAM soundings they're showing a fairly shallow DGZ per my eyes. Generally around 100mb over northern IL. One thing we have going in favor though will be fairly light winds in the lower 3km, so flake shattering may be kept to a minimum.

I think I'll ride more of a 15:1 LSR as opposed to 20:1 for now. Probably splitting hairs at this point, but it's how it looks to me based on the 12z guidance. Hopefully models continue to bump up qpf in future runs.

Yeah, wouldn't surprise me to see something close to 20 with the flake shattering minimized and offsetting the somewhat small dgz, as you said.

Uptick in moisture is encouraging. Should things continue to ramp up a bit, this could be a really nice and picturesque event.

12z NAM looks to be the weakest of the models with regard to the sfc low strength by 12z Tuesday on the lee side of the Rockies at 1018mb while most guidance is lower with the GFS/Euro at 1012mb. 

Another nice little bump up with the 15z plumes

18z will be a tick up in intensity/wave amplification

DVN tossing the wetter 12z GFS for now, and going with a general 1-2" snow north of I-80.  2-4" south of I-80.  I tend to agree, although I think 2-3" north of I-80 may be the way to go with qpf in the 0.15-0.20" range there.  I'm going with 15:1 LSRs at this point.  

From DVN....

...IT/S STILL A BIT EARLY...BUT
UTILIZING SEVERAL SNOW PRODUCING METHODS LOOKING AT CURRENTLY
PROGGED LIFT/SATURATION/THERMAL PROFILES...IT APPEARS THAT AT LEAST
2-4 INCHES WILL BE POSSIBLE ALONG AND SOUTH OF I80...1-2 INCHES FROM
I80 NORTH TO THE HWY 30 CORRIDOR...AND LESS THAN AN INCH UP TOWARD
THE HWY 20 CORRIDOR. BULK OF THESE SNOW ACCUMS TO OCCUR FROM 00Z-06Z
WED...ALTHOUGH THE SOUTHWESTERN THIRD OF THE DVN CWA MAY HAVE UP TO
AN INCH ALREADY BY SUNSET TUE EVENING. FOR NOW WILL TONE DOWN THE
WETTER 12Z RUN GFS WHICH HAS AS MUCH AS 4-6 INCHES SOUTH OF I80 AND
3-4 INCHES NORTH OF I80 TO THE DBQ AREA BY 12Z WED
. EVEN CUTTING
BACK FROM THE GFS TOTALS...A SNOW ADVISORY OR WINTER WX ADVISORY MAY
STILL BE NEEDED ALONG AND SOUTH OF I80 IF MODEL TRENDS CONTINUE. PRE-
SYSTEM TEMP WARM UP ON TUE INTO TUE NIGHT...

would you mind turning on the magnet, geos?

Ok, just flipped it on.  :snowing:

Hopefully the 0z runs will yield some positive gains.

It'll be nice to see Cyclone get out of his post-November snowstorm 1" or less snowfall streak.

acckucherasnowmw.png

GFS has definitely toned things down compared to the wetter 12z.  Had almost 0.25" here on the 12z versus 0.15" on the 00z.  Still a nice little 2" event, but really nothing special.  Looks like a nice 3-5" swath will line up from northern MO into central IL.  

Hopefully we can get a snow system with some balls in here during February.

Hey All-

I'm sorry to ask this question without contributing anything.. I'm flying into IND from HOU on Thursday evening.. I see that there is a chance of snow... My question: Is IND prepared to handle a bit of snow like my hometown of BOS, or does it shutdown at the first flake? I have courtside seats for the IU basketball game on Saturday, and would hate to get my travel plans messed up! 

Hey All-

I'm sorry to ask this question without contributing anything.. I'm flying into IND from HOU on Thursday evening.. I see that there is a chance of snow... My question: Is IND prepared to handle a bit of snow like my hometown of BOS, or does it shutdown at the first flake? I have courtside seats for the IU basketball game on Saturday, and would hate to get my travel plans messed up!

. You won't have any issues.

Archived