joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Lake effect snow thread

dmc76

• Replies 378
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Had about 3/4" this morning from that Huron band. Drifting back north but looks lamer. Doubt I get more than a dusting.

Half an inch this morning and another half inch over the last hour. All Huron banding.

I can't help but feel jealous of Barrie today. That area has been absolutely hammered by lake snow.

The UP is such a monster for any state EOTM to compete with. It also has the highest averages and lower temps.

I get what you are saying. The amount of square ft. that averages over 200" a year and persistent cold is unmatched anywhere EOTR. But some of the highest mountains east of the Rockies are in New York. The Adirondacks/Catskills/Alleghany mountains range from 2- to almost 5500' in elevation. The highest peak in Michigan is 1978' while Mount Mercy is 5343'. The Catskills also range from 2-4500'. The northern Adirondacks are at the same latitude as the UP. I remember being on top of Whiteface mountain in Late August and seeing snowflakes. The highest totals for snow in the UP are beaten by the highest yearly totals in the Tug. It's close but the Tug wins. Also if you compare the data to Southern tier in WNY they average 200-250" of snow a year which would be higher than the Lower Peninsula of Michigan. You mentioned Michigan as being the snowiest state, it would be much closer if central/southeastern Michigan wasn't included as most of New York has much higher yearly snow totals than those locations due to Ontario and also Nor'Earsters which result in a more favorable synoptic location. I have the data-set somewhere from all the Co-op stations/Cocarahs locations to prove this. But either way Michigan/New York are the snowiest places east of the Rockies!  :snowwindow:

I get what you are saying. The amount of square ft. that averages over 200" a year and persistent cold is unmatched anywhere EOTR. But some of the highest mountains east of the Rockies are in New York. The Adirondacks/Catskills/Alleghany mountains range from 2- to almost 5500' in elevation. The highest peak in Michigan is 1978' while Mount Mercy is 5343'. The Catskills also range from 2-4500'. The northern Adirondacks are at the same latitude as the UP. I remember being on top of Whiteface mountain in Late August and seeing snowflakes. The highest totals for snow in the UP are beaten by the highest yearly totals in the Tug. It's close but the Tug wins. Also if you compare the data to Southern tier in WNY they average 200-250" of snow a year which would be higher than the Lower Peninsula of Michigan. You mentioned Michigan as being the snowiest state, it would be much closer if central/southeastern Michigan wasn't included as most of New York has much higher yearly snow totals than those locations due to Ontario and also Nor'Earsters which result in a more favorable synoptic location. I have the data-set somewhere from all the Co-op stations/Cocarahs locations to prove this. But either way Michigan/New York are the snowiest places east of the

Rockies!  :snowwindow:

Most of the UP is so remote there's no real way to determine exact snowfall. The biggest snow belts up here aren't even inhabited. I think a 1/3 of the UP's population is probably in the city's of Marq, Houghton, and the Soo. 

I'd probably live in the Adirondacks tho

Most of the UP is so remote there's no real way to determine exact snowfall. The biggest snow belts up here aren't even inhabited. I think a 1/3 of the UP's population is probably in the city's of Marq, Houghton, and the Soo.

I could totally see you up at 5000' hill in a cabin somewhere lol.

Most of the UP is so remote there's no real way to determine exact snowfall. The biggest snow belts up here aren't even inhabited. I think a 1/3 of the UP's population is probably in the city's of Marq, Houghton, and the Soo.

That's the best thing about it. Less people.

Looks like Munising and point east towards Grand Marais were the big winners in Michigan maybe a couple spots in the Keweenaw with over 36"+

I ended up with about 18" or so, still lightly snowing picked up another 2 inches last night as well. Around 20-24" deep around my yard. Could of been a little better but didn't get as much due to veering winds, the SSW then NNW wind was more prevelant then expected. Still looks like winter an this weekend riding should be pretty good.

Archived